Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 10:17 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,136,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
From the Slick School of Deflection....

She, like so many holier-than-thou types is a morally bankrupt hypocrite.

End of story.
I'm sorry if it bothers you that I pointed out the red herring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 10:23 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,307,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Can you explain how her marital history has any relevance to whether or not she believes marriage is to be male/female only?
"You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye." Matthew 7:5

It's so much easier to judge others. It keeps one from having to judge themselves.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
"You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye." Matthew 7:5

It's so much easier to judge others. It keeps one from having to judge themselves.
So are you sinless? You seem to be pretty judgmental about her.

I don't recall her judging anyone. She just could not issue the license in good conscience. As I've pointed out in the past, that is apparently her right to do.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:34 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,165,148 times
Quote:

I don't recall her judging anyone. She just could not issue the license in good conscience. As I've pointed out in the past, that is apparently her right to do.
No, it is not her right to decide who can or can not have a marriage license. She swore an oath to do her job. Her job duties include issuing marriage licenses to all who are legally allowed to get married. She is refusing to do her job, and also refusing to comply with a court order to do her job.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:36 AM

16,629 posts, read 15,580,631 times
Quote:

Uh. no. It is NOT her right to decide who can get a marriage license. It is her job to issue one to anybody that comes in meeting the legal qualifications. Two unmarried adults capable of informed consent with proper identification and paying the established fee.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No, it is not her right to decide who can or can not have a marriage license.
She swore an oath to do her job. Her job duties include issuing marriage licenses to all who are legally allowed to get married. She is refusing to do her job, and also refusing to comply with a court order to do her job.
So remove her from office. Don't like what an elected official does? So what?

Old 09-02-2015, 10:44 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,307,929 times
Quote:
So are you sinless?
Yes, actually, I am completely sinless.

Because atheists don't believe in sin.

Am I perfect? Of course not.

Then again, I'm not the one riding my high horse through the county courthouse acting as though my religion gives me the right to bludgeon people over the head with what I believe by refusing to issue SSM licenses (while going home and divorcing, remarrying, divorcing, remarrying, having kids with this man, that man, and some other guy over there.)

Quote:
You seem to be pretty judgmental about her.
In truth, I really don't care how she lives her life. Because unlike certain Christians, I don't feel it's my responsibility or right to refuse services to someone because I don't like what they do in the bedroom.

I only bring up her divorces because of Matthew 7:5. But of course the Bible stops being relevant the moment it starts becoming inconvenient.

Quote:
I don't recall her judging anyone.
Every time she refused to issue a SSM license, she judged the people involved as not being fit for marriage.

Quote:
She just could not issue the license in good conscience.
And she couldn't issue the license in good conscious because ... wait for it ... yeah, because she JUDGED the couple as being sinful.

Quote:
As I've pointed out in the past, that is apparently her right to do.
It's only her right on a personal level. She does NOT have the right to deny couples who wish to legally marry a marriage license. She cannot justify it. Period. Religion is not a justification when she is working for the GOVERNMENT.

The Constitution guarantees my freedom from someone else's religion.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:46 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,165,148 times
Quote:
So remove her from office. Don't like what an elected official does? So what?
The judge will be working on the issue tomorrow morning when she and her staff are required to show up in court to defend themselves.

The AG is also working on removing her form office.

Poor thing, possible jail time, fines, and loss of her $80k a year job.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Yes, actually, I am completely sinless.

Because atheists don't believe in sin.

Am I perfect? Of course not.
You don't have to believe in gravity, either. But it's going to affect you if you step off a balcony. Likewise, your opinion of whether or not sin exists is irrelevant.

Quote:

Then again, I'm not the one riding my high horse through the county courthouse acting as though my religion gives me the right to bludgeon people over the head with what I believe by refusing to issue SSM licenses (while going home and divorcing, remarrying, divorcing, remarrying, having kids with this man, that man, and some other guy over there.)

Nor am I. And from what I have read, this county Clerk wasn't either. But don't let details stop you. She has simply refused to issue a license for same sex marriage. I'm not aware of any bludgeoning going on. But if it helps to attack her character, by all means, continue.
Quote:

In truth, I really don't care how she lives her life. Because unlike certain Christians, I don't feel it's my responsibility or right to refuse services to someone because I don't like what they do in the bedroom.

I only bring up her divorces because of Matthew 7:5. But of course the Bible stops being relevant the moment it starts becoming inconvenient.

Good for you. But the fact that she has sinned does not mean that she should just toss out any hope of obeying her conscience on the matter.
Quote:

Every time she refused to issue a SSM license, she judged the people involved as not being fit for marriage.

Really? She said that? Or did she simply say that she would not issue a license for those particular people to marry each other?
Quote:

And she couldn't issue the license in good conscious because ... wait for it ... yeah, because she JUDGED the couple as being sinful.

OK?
Quote:

It's only her right on a personal level. She does NOT have the right to deny couples who wish to legally marry a marriage license. She cannot justify it. Period. Religion is not a justification when she is working for the GOVERNMENT.

The Constitution guarantees my freedom from someone else's religion.
So remove her from office.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The judge will be working on the issue tomorrow morning when she and her staff are required to show up in court to defend themselves.

The AG is also working on removing her form office.

Poor thing, possible jail time, fines, and loss of her $80k a year job.
Good for them! We should remove all elected officials that refuse to do their job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality