Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 08:58 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well the Supreme Court ruled against the wishes of the people so she has every right to protest an unjust law.
Good news! The SCOTUS makes rulings based on the Constitutionality of the law, not the wishes of some of the people. (In this case the people who don't like same-sex marriage.) So.... our country continues to work just as the founding fathers planned! Yay!!

They also planned it so she could protest a law. What she cannot do is break a law and do whatever she wants. Neither can I. Neither can you, Jeffy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 09:29 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times
Originally Posted by jeffbase40
Well the Supreme Court ruled against the wishes of the people so she has every right to protest an unjust law.

I did not like Citizens United. The court ruled against my wishes. I did not like the Supremes ruling in Kelo v The City of New London, either.

What should I do? I have written every Senator. I pepper those in Congress who support those laws. I use the Post Office to deliver my letter. Sometimes I send a quick postcard reminding them who I am and what I believe. I write the Supremes, too.

I am the squeaky wheel.
I do not break laws I disagree with. You seem to support the idea of breaking the law if you disagree with it.

Say I get a ticket, because I drove 80mph in a 55mph speed zone. I think the speed should be 80.

I have to pay the fine, or face additional fines, and losing my license, and my car insurance. No car insurance? I will be fined by the state for not turning my plates in to the DMV. The fines are now mounting. I am standing firm about my 80mph belief.

I can be picked up, any time of day or night, by the police on a warrant issued by a judge. That judge says I am in contempt of court for not paying my ever increasing fine, and consequently driving without a license and no insurance.

I now have multiple points on my suspended license. I still expect to get no consequence because I believe the speed limit should be 80mph. Boo-hoo poor me. Why am I being singled out and persecuted?

I am thrown in jail until I pay the fine. The benefit for the community? They are not on the road with a 80mph maniac in a 55 mile zone.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:56 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
She cares more about standing before the Supreme Judge, (which you claim to believe in) the Lord of the universe than man's laws which constantly change and are hardly consistent.

Folks, you're missing the point about the Kentucky clerk's jail sentence - Allen B. West - AllenBWest.com

A Christian was jailed for her faith, yes faith and you apparently fully support that.

I am going to TRY to explain this to you once again.

She was NOT jailed for faith. When she was ORDERED to do the job she was elected to do by the judge and refused, she was then jailed for CONTEMPT of court-for NOT obeying the judge's order. Being jailed has nothing to do with her faith-it has to do with her not following a lawful order.

This woman wants to eat her cake and have it, too. She has two choices, either do her job or resign. If her faith interferes with her doing her job, than she should resign that job. She can't keep her job and NOT do it. It doesn't work that way. But that is what she is trying to do. She is trying to rewrite the law to fit her faith-and she can't do that. That is not how democracy works.

Cat

Old 09-06-2015, 10:32 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
If they want to follow the Bible, it says she is an adulterer and should be stoned to death. Who wants to throw the first one?

Old 09-06-2015, 11:01 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I am going to TRY to explain this to you once again.

She was NOT jailed for faith. When she was ORDERED to do the job she was elected to do by the judge and refused, she was then jailed for CONTEMPT of court-for NOT obeying the judge's order. Being jailed has nothing to do with her faith-it has to do with her not following a lawful order.

This woman wants to eat her cake and have it, too. She has two choices, either do her job or resign. If her faith interferes with her doing her job, than she should resign that job. She can't keep her job and NOT do it. It doesn't work that way. But that is what she is trying to do. She is trying to rewrite the law to fit her faith-and she can't do that. That is not how democracy works.

Cat
There 8s a bit of irony in Jeff's statement as well, the judge who convicted her of contempt of court is also a Christian who does not support SSM. But according to Jeff and Vizio, he is persecuting her because she has the same religious belief as he does. The fact that he not only worked hard on finding an accommodation for her belief that did not involve the county discriminatin against the law and that he is of the belief that government agencies must obey the law are constantly ignored by jeff.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:02 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
If they want to follow the Bible, it says she is an adulterer and should be stoned to death. Who wants to throw the first one?
No one.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:21 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
She cares more about standing before the Supreme Judge, (which you claim to believe in) the Lord of the universe than man's laws which constantly change and are hardly consistent.
No, she isn't interested in the Supreme Judge. She is interested in politicians like Mike Huckabee who has promised to visit her in jail.

The Lord of the Universe changed His position over the centuries--repeatedly. You simply fail to acknowledge it.

Quote:
“No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord."
Deuteronomy 23:1 God Himself speaking in these verses
Opposing view:
Quote:
Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the Lord say, “The Lord will surely separate me from his people”; and let not the eunuch say, “Behold, I am a dry tree.” For thus says the Lord: “To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths, who choose the things that please me and hold fast my covenant, I will give in my house and within my walls a monument and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off.
Isaiah 56:3-5 God Himself speaking in these verses.

God grew---you have not.
Quote:
Anyone who injures their neighbor is to be injured in the same manner: 20 fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. The one who has inflicted the injury must suffer the same injury."
Leviticus 24:19-20 God Himself speaking in these verses Further, it is not a suggestion to "maybe" practice this, it is a requirement.

Opposing view:

Quote:
"You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.' "But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.…
Matt. 5:38-39 Jesus speaking and referring to the OT quote not as a "message from God," but as "heresay."

Jesus' radical teaching in opposition to OT commands is a permanent part of His message and stands against repeated OT narratives of God action or sanctioning of violence. It is quite significant that James and John wanted to follow the precedent of Elijah and call "fire from heaven" to destroy a Samaritan village. Jesus rebuked them and told them, "You do not know what spirit you are of," (Luke 9:54-55 vs 2nd Kings 12:14). He basically claimed their spirit was ungodly if not demonic.

God grew--you have not.

Quote:
Folks, you're missing the point about the Kentucky clerk's jail sentence - Allen B. West - AllenBWest.com

A Christian was jailed for her faith, yes faith and you apparently fully support that.
I fully support her being jailed for failing to do her job--and spiritually claim she is a liar before God for making a vow that God who claims she may not as His child break such a vow.

So is she not His child or is God wrong to demand faithfulness to one's vows? Are you now justifying breaking vows one has made by placing their hand on a Bible?

Old 09-06-2015, 01:15 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
No one.
Well...that may not be entirely true...

Old 09-06-2015, 01:16 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
No against MY wish.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:21 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Many fundamentalists are raised from the cradle to "submit to authority", "to live in peace with all men", etc., and when these various prescriptions conflict with other commands or with the dogma or instructions of their Christian overlords, their brains tend to vapor lock.
The Bible warns against letting women teach and lead in theological matters though. It looks like here's another example that this alleged sincere religious belief is actually just cherry-picking to line up with what she wished were true and throwing out the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality