Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:20 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times

Advertisements

[quote=alicenavada;2669521] And yet, once we have determined that we were wrong, we NEVER go back to the old way of doing things.
QUOTE]

There was a time when a Jehovah's Witness couldn't talk to a df'ed person, and then that changed, and then later on they went back to the old ways. What happened there? It refutes what you are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 05:23 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
You really need to research this before you start admitting that you're 'wrong'. Apostate websites will really give you a hard time about that and alot of that information has affected the public's opinion of us. Let's set the record straight:

In 1991, the Watchtower Society did join the United Nations as an NGO briefly in order to have continued access to the Department of Public Information (health records, ecological, and social info). Prior to 1991 they were able to use the library w/ no problem, but in 1991 it was made a requirement that they register as an NGO in order to use it. The registration papers made it clear that their joining did not affiliate them w/ the united nations in any way. However, in 2000 I believe, the language on these papers changed and made a prompt withdrawal of the membership necessary.

There it is. Wikipedia has a copy of the letter that the Watchtower Society sent to their congregations explaining this. Funny that it's still such a big deal to everyone...
So they compromised their integrity.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:23 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Here's a thought, don't answer the door to people you don't know. Today it could be the Jehovahs Witnesses, tomorrow it could be someone casing your house to break in.
Try to get into a conversation with the person and slip in that you own a gun. NRA bumper stickers also help.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:46 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
This is one way in which JWs are not allowed to think. If you were allowed to think you could debate your religion with anyone, including apostates. But the Watchtower Society doesn't want to lose members, so you can not study the Bible or listen to reason with other people. And yet the Bible says, "Come let us reason together." And you are not allowed to doubt either.
Hilarious. Truly hilarious. My decision not to debate with an apostate is based on the scripture that specifically says we are not to 'speak' (or have pointless conversation) with someone who has left the faith. I have done so in the past and it only resulted in my getting angry and defensive. That is not the Christian way. And therefore I avoid it.

Believe as you wish. Believe that we are under some type of 'spell' that prevents us from thinking for ourselves or having doubts. I, of course am in a prime position to know the facts since I actually AM a Jehovah's Witness. And I know that is just not true. But thanks for your concern.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
There was a time when the Kingdom Hall where I was attending had some old books in their library. I checked them out, and I learned that they had a few dates for the end of the world to happen. Then I remember borrowing one from the overseer when I was at his house. He was afraid that if I read it I would change my mind about the JWs. I learned the same from that book, but I remained a JW. Why? I thought, "Well, the light is just getting brighter."
Sorry but that is just not true. You obviously misunderstood what you read. We have never claimed to know when the end of the world was going to happen. "Concerning the day or the hour NOBODY knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father." Even Jesus doesnt know that date.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:54 AM

[quote=jessaka;2679169]
Quote:
And yet, once we have determined that we were wrong, we NEVER go back to the old way of doing things.
QUOTE]

There was a time when a Jehovah's Witness couldn't talk to a df'ed person, and then that changed, and then later on they went back to the old ways. What happened there? It refutes what you are saying.
We have always maintained the scriptural viewpoint that a disfellowshipped person is to become as a 'man of the nations' and our contact with them is to be limited. That has never changed, I assure you. There are some Witnesses who take that a step farther and will not even look at someone who has left the organization , much less speak to them. That is their own decision. I personally will nod, perhaps say hello, but that's about it.

To say that we are not 'allowed' to speak to a disfellowshipped person is an obvious misunderstanding of what it is all about. Our love for Jehovah makes a close relationship with such ones impossible...and once again, that is entirely scriptural. It is about keeping the congregation clean.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
So they compromised their integrity.
Your opinion of course. I do not feel that is the case. To say they joined the UN because they registered to use their library is the same as saying that we have joined the Catholic church because we quote their Encyclopedia in our publications.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:16 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Quote:

To say that we are not 'allowed' to speak to a disfellowshipped person is an obvious misunderstanding of what it is all about. Our love for Jehovah makes a close relationship with such ones impossible...and once again, that is entirely scriptural. It is about keeping the congregation clean.
My love for God makes a close relationship with anyone possible..It also allows me to seek and search for myself..It does not make me feel that I have to look for direction from anyone except God. It allows me to develop my own personal relationship with God without the rules of man...My love for God allows me to share His love with anyone regardless of whom or how that person worships..My love for God allows me to pray and weep for people who are separated from God by rules of men and organizations...

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-31-2008 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-31-2008, 07:24 AM

661 posts, read 1,183,601 times
Quote:
Your opinion of course. I do not feel that is the case. To say they joined the UN because they registered to use their library is the same as saying that we have joined the Catholic church because we quote their Encyclopedia in our publications.
This is the official UN website which gives information about NGOs (non-governmental organizations)

NGOs AND THE UNITED NATIONS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC INFORMATION

Scroll down to the sub-heading entitled 'When did the DPI relationship with NGOs begin? Read what it says about the relationship of the NGOs to the UN in the last paragraph, which has been the case since 1968. This section was updated in 2005 as you can see at the top. So from 1968 to 2005, which encompasses the time the WT were an NGO, the 'criteria' was the same. It will only take a minute, but I think you will see it involves more than just being able to use the library.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
My love for God makes a close relationship with anyone possible..It also allows me to seek and search for myself..It does not make me feel that I have to look for direction from anyone except God. It allows me to develop my own personal relationship with God without the rules of man...My love for God allows me to share His love with anyone regardless of whom or how that person worships..My love for God allows me to pray and weep for people who are separated from God by rules of men and organizations...
Actually, I don't believe that Blue. I believe you have the same feelings about those who willfully practice wrongdoing as I do, even if you have chosen not to side with Jehovah's people. I think you feel like you have some type of freedom since you have liberated yourself from the organization you feel has it so wrong, but do you really? No. Because you love God. And GOD'S rules say that we are to remove the wicked man from among ourselves. Even society has that rule, don't they? When a person commits an unlawful act, don't they put them away from society for the safety of others? And we are relieved because of it, aren't we? So forgive me if I refuse to believe that you would develop a 'close relationship' with someone who is , for instance, a murderer or a drug dealer.

Trust me, we do pray and weep for those who have left Jehovah for whatever reason too. At our Circuit Assemblies, the brothers actually pray for them from the stage...because we love them still. We aren't as cold and heartless as you may think. This love is one of the reasons many who are disfellowshipped find their way back, like my father did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality