Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 04:09 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Catholics and Protestants alike have slung stuff at each other for centuries. They have killed, persecuted and tortured others simply because they held a different faith. Northern Ireland is just one example of this. I would like to know where Christs teachings were in all this?
True but I have to clarify that I was referring to pluralistic America, where Muslims and Jews can worship as they see fit. Here, it's not a "church and state" issue like it is elsewhere in the world. Here, it's manufactured tension by those addicted to conflict. I'll pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 04:47 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,789 times
It irks me when people say Catholics aren't Christians, too.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:06 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,704 times
Quote:
Wow, this thread's taken off since I was here this morning.

I would like to see proof that the Apostles baptized babies. I believe they baptized those who converted, adults, who were old enough to understand.
Here's a website to make you reconsider your stand on infant baptism:

Infant Baptism in Early Church History by Dennis Kastens (broken link)

Let me know what you think.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:25 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Northern Ireland is just one example of this.
Religion played a part in the Troubles, but it was not ABOUT religion. The IRA and UDA weren't fighting over the Pope or sola scriptura. It wasn't about economics and social equality.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:15 PM

336 posts, read 844,543 times
What Makes Them Not Christians? They Believe Much Of The Same Things Protestants Do.they Worship Differently, Use Writings Other Than The Bible( But,so Does Some Mainstream Churchs),having One Leader,the Pope.
You'll Find On This Forum Beliefs That Are Supposedly Mainstream Or Protestant That Appear To Be New Or Never Heard Of.not To Say It Is Heresy, But Why Should A Catholic Be Judged Harsher That Some Of These "protestants" Just Because They Possess The Title?

Last edited by JANA MANIA; 01-28-2008 at 07:41 PM..

Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 PM

661 posts, read 1,183,891 times
Quote:
Infant Baptism in Early Church History by Dennis Kastens (broken link)

Let me know what you think.
I read some of this, then I googled Infant Baptism and found sites FOR and AGAINST it. Interestingly, the one you showed me had only brief reference to the Bible. Another site had these 2 scriptures:

Jesus said: "He who believes and is baptized will be saved" (Mark 16:16). Peter, led by the Holy Spirit, said: "Repent and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins" (Acts 2:38).

Baptism was preceded by faith and repentance. No infant can fulfill those requirements. So it is not by any means certain that the apostles baptized babies.

Thanks for that reference though.

So once again, arguments over what God said, what God meant ensue. I reckon theres probably two different views at least for every verse in the Bible. It makes your brain hurt.

Glad I got out when I did

Carry on with the thread.... Catholics = Christians etc

Old 01-28-2008, 08:58 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,704 times
Quote:
I read some of this, then I googled Infant Baptism and found sites FOR and AGAINST it. Interestingly, the one you showed me had only brief reference to the Bible. Another site had these 2 scriptures:

Jesus said: "He who believes and is baptized will be saved" (Mark 16:16). Peter, led by the Holy Spirit, said: "Repent and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins" (Acts 2:38).

Baptism was preceded by faith and repentance. No infant can fulfill those requirements. So it is not by any means certain that the apostles baptized babies.

Thanks for that reference though.

So once again, arguments over what God said, what God meant ensue. I reckon theres probably two different views at least for every verse in the Bible. It makes your brain hurt.

Glad I got out when I did

Carry on with the thread.... Catholics = Christians etc

Infant Baptism Bible Verses:
I Corinthians 1: 16; Acts 11: 14, 16: 15, 33, 18: 8

Household = every member of the family including children.

Besides the Bible passage you mention doesn't preclude that they also gave Baptisms to children.

Also writings of the early church spoke of baptizing children directly. One can deny early infant baptism, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:53 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Oh, yeah, another reason I started this thread.

My Christianity (via Catholicism) has been a "constant" in my life. Every once in a while, I will meet a Christian of the new-fangled variety. They are new to Christianity and overzealous, at the very least. (You know there has to be a serious "cool-down" after such a rush, kind of like a housing market that soars and then needs to let off steam).

At any rate, I tell them that I'm Christian too (again, via my Catholic upbringing). They kind of make a face, like they're not convinced. Ok, here it comes. The next question is: "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal savior?" How many times have you heard this cliched line. It's a VALID question, but it is always asked by the new recruit.

I'm thinking in my head: 'Ok, I was baptized, received First Communion, was confirmed and I still have my faith decades later. I accept Jesus Christ as my personal savior as evidenced in that I think about what I am doing, relative to what Christ taught us, pretty much every damn minute of every damn day. It's constantly on my mind. I don't need that canned "tag phrase" and I try to demonstrate my Christianity BY ACTIONS. My acceptance is much like a tea bag that's been steeping for a long time. And so is that of Christians in other sects that are r-e-l-a-x-e-d about it."

Sorry for the irreverence, but fanaticism is annoying.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:00 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The next question is: "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal savior?"
I've heard it often too. I'm an editor and a writer besides being Catholic, so the sheer bad English of the question gets on my nerves.

First of all, simply "accepting Jesus" is a VAST oversimplification of the Gospel. That's my theological objection.

Secondly, the phrase "personal savior." This is my grammar/semantic objection. "Personal savior" isn't in the Bible, and it's just plain bad English. Can you have an "impersonal savior?"

Old 03-10-2008, 09:01 PM

354 posts, read 1,077,668 times
I have a whole new spin on all this........I'm just happy to hear people actually TALKING about God!!! LOL
Let me explain. I'm a practicing Roman Catholic, who is loyal to the Magisterium. I was born and raised on the East Coast of Canada. The whole region is mainly Catholic, in fact most of our country was up until the baby boombers decided they wanted to be "free".......Lots still claim to be "Catholic" but don't attend mass, nor do they believe in the doctrine. They think being Catholic is a race of people and a right they were born into?? Strange ideas some people have. Why would you call yourself something you don't believe in? Why not claim......I'm a NON-practicing Catholic or something? Anyway, the lack of faith is causing our country some great difficulties recently. My views are that if a large part of the population is taking God out of the country so as not to "offend" the non-believers then you will suffer the consquences of that behavior. God doesn't force his love or will on us. We have to freely accept it.
It's sad.....because most Canadians I know are very kind hearted people....but a large part of these "peaceful people" are adapting a "live and let live" mentality. This sounds nice and fuzzy on the surface.......but if you raised your children in such a manner with no rules or structure.....how would they turn out? I love my country, but since the government is becoming so "openminded" lately, My husband and I decided to leave and move to the USA for his career.
We are currently living in the Seattle area. My children attend a Catholic school. I love the fact they learn and talk about God in school (imagine that! LOL) but the city itself is pretty liberal not to mention the gloomy/rainy weather is pretty hard to take for even the most positive people.

We may have the opportunity to move to Greenville, SC and I have been really researching the area in great detail for many months now.
I've heard the horror stories of anti-Catholic sentiments from fellow Canadians and from other Americans about the people in the south, but I'm at the point where I think I would much rather live in a city that at least acknowledges there IS a God!!!

If we do move.......this will be a refreshing change! LOL For once......I'll be the one people will be worried about.......being a Catholic and all! If my main concern is explaining WHY a Catholic is a Christian (afterall.....we wrote the bible) then I think Greenville sounds like heaven on earth for my family! LOL
By the way.....all opinions aside......the fact is.....A Catholic IS a Christian.....a Protestant is a Christian........the question real question should be.........What KIND of Christian?? Both religions follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.....and the bible. Many people in both faiths however, don't LIVE what they are taught. God will be the judge in the end. He knows what's in your heart.......and he doesn't have room for hatred. Even if there is "one" true religion......I believe with the state of the world today.....he is VERY happy to have Catholics and Protestants at least acknowledging him and having the DESIRE to please him, even if they aren't doing everything exactly like he intended. That is why we believe in purgatory.........but that is another story! LOL.....and yes......it's referenced in the bible! Blessings and God Bless (North) America! haha.......had to add the North since Canada and USA are both a part of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality