Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 07:59 PM

9 posts, read 3,827 times

Advertisements

Is anyone considering moving to a place for spiritual reasons? Do you feel a pull/call towards a certain direction/destination--to fulfill your destiny/dream?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 08:11 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
I did...Thailand after I retired. But the riots ruined that.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lll-_-l View Post
Is anyone considering moving to a place for spiritual reasons? Do you feel a pull/call towards a certain direction/destination--to fulfill your destiny/dream?
Yes.

And I found it.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:18 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,614,590 times
No. Treasure is always within.

There was once an impoverished man by the name of Reb Isaac ben Yakil of Krakow. He lived in poverty for many years, not knowing where his next crust of bread would come from. Still, Reb Isaac had implicit faith that G‑d would not let him starve, and that one day his suffering would end.
One night, he dreamed that there was highly valuable buried treasure under a specific bridge in Prague. At first, he paid the dream no attention, assuming it was mere wishful thinking. After all, who doesn’t dream of riches? But when the dream repeated itself night after night after night, he began to reconsider. Perhaps there was something to it? Could it possibly be true?
So, he set off to Prague—a long and tiring journey, only to discover that the bridge was right near the royal palace and thus heavily guarded at all hours. Soldiers marched up and down, alert and ready, looking for any signs of danger or unusual activity. Digging under the bridge was clearly out of the question. Oh, how disappointing.
But Reb Isaac was not going to give up that easily. He returned to the bridge day after day until the guards began to recognize him. Soon they became curious. “Why do you come to the bridge every day?” one of the guards asked him. “Are you waiting for someone?”
Reb Isaac knew they wouldn’t believe some half-hearted excuse, so he told them about his dream. The guard listened, threw back his head, and laughed heartily. “You can all this way because of a silly dream? You fool! I had a dream that a certain Jew, Reb Isaac Ben Yakil, has buried treasure under his stove, but do you see me going on a wild good choose? Of course not!” and he laughed uproariously.
Meanwhile, Reb Isaac hurried off to buy a ticket for the first train back to Krakow. Now he knew where to look. Sure enough, when he arrived he immediately shoved the iron stove out of the way and began digging at the hard dirt floor. And, to his great joy and astonishment, after some effort he uncovered a chest of gold coins!
He used the money to build a magnificent synagogue which bore his name, and with the rest of the money he built himself a comfortable home and furnished it well.
When Reb Bunim told this tale to followers who had travelled from far and wide to visit him, what was the message? The followers understood. You don’t always find what you’re looking for by travelling to a distant chassidic court. True spiritual treasure can be acquired right near home, with intense effort and devout prayer.

https://www.chabad.org/blogs/blog_cd...-Ben-Yakil.htm

This is why Yeshua (Jesus) never advised to go places to attain spiritual enlightenment. He said to go "in" and shut the world out and find god there.

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Old 12-24-2019, 06:00 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Years ago to just escape the East Coast. (of the USA)

Ah....now years with freedom to breathe, fresh air, sky, mountains, friendly people...
where your $$ buys more square footage and space away from neighbors on top of you.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:56 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
If you can't be spiritual and complete wherever you currently are, no movement elsewhere will help.

It's not about external location, it's entirely a matter of internal.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
If you can't be spiritual and complete wherever you currently are, no movement elsewhere will help.

It's not about external location, it's entirely a matter of internal.
I think that might be a personal thing.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:31 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
I’m convinced God directed me and my family 25 years ago to our current church, in His service. We moved to this community for my job, but realized quickly He placed us here to serve Him in this church. It’s been quite a ride!

Old 12-24-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I’m convinced God directed me and my family 25 years ago to our current church, in His service. We moved to this community for my job, but realized quickly He placed us here to serve Him in this church. It’s been quite a ride!
I would have rather had him spend is time saving a few starving children in the world, preventing a few rapes or murders...you know...little things like that instead of the all so important choice of which church to send Jimmie.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:11 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I would have rather had him spend is time saving a few starving children in the world, preventing a few rapes or murders...you know...little things like that instead of the all so important choice of which church to send Jimmie.
He did. We operate a food bank in our community, give coats and toys to poor families at the holidays, run a free medical and dental clinic for the poor in our community, offer after-school support to at-risk kids and their families, and we’ve built hospitals, churches and schools in Haiti.

It’s not about what church to join, but rather what that church is doing to better the lives of people, both physically and spiritually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality