Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:38 PM

1,022 posts, read 11,562,228 times

Advertisements

Why because there's documented "proof"? LOL... The derail was Yours...and now back to Ghost!

Who believe in Ghosts and why???? Most here DON'T believe in Ghosts so lets hear from someone representing the other side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 03:41 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
As for ghosts, you need to first watch the series Supernatural as a documentary, invest in an EMF meter and a decent video camera.

Why would a video camera pick up what the more sophisticated human eye can detect?

Ghosts are as real as the people who believe in them are. IOW they only exist in the imagination of the "observer".

I sleep in the room my father died in and I have never seen a ghost or sensed a presence of any sort. I held my mother's hand as she passed and there was no supernatural spirit leaving her body, she simply was no more.

Ghosts belong in the realm of folklore and legend and of course Hollywood that appeals to the mass delusion of its audience that these things are somehow real. I suppose it ties into the need of folk that cannot come to terms of the finality of their mortality.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:01 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,585 times
One of my favorite podcasts is Skeptoid. Brian did a recent episode on Near Death Experiences, which was pretty interesting and you can either find it on itunes or here's a readout of it, in case any is interested:

Near Death Experiences

Particularly interesting was when he brought up Dr. Penny Sartori - a nurse who placed playing cards face up in various open locations in an operating room. During the research, there where 15 out of body experience claims, where people reported "floating" above the room and being able to hear/see what was going on - and surprise surprise! No one made any reports of the cards.

Personally, I'm a nurse, I work with people who are dying and have seen death. I'm still very much an Atheist..

Old 06-24-2011, 04:10 PM

^^^ Thanks for the link!

Old 06-24-2011, 04:36 PM

What's really strange are experiences CELEBRITIES tell about themselves, of all people.

Some are hilarious, others are like say what? But all of them are interesting if you're into what various Stars reported, happening to them. Don't have to take them literally, but they do make one heck of a good tale.

Celebrity Ghost Stories - Paranormal Zone - Biography.com

Old 06-24-2011, 04:37 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
One of my favorite podcasts is Skeptoid. Brian did a recent episode on Near Death Experiences, which was pretty interesting and you can either find it on itunes or here's a readout of it, in case any is interested:

Near Death Experiences

Particularly interesting was when he brought up Dr. Penny Sartori - a nurse who placed playing cards face up in various open locations in an operating room. During the research, there where 15 out of body experience claims, where people reported "floating" above the room and being able to hear/see what was going on - and surprise surprise! No one made any reports of the cards.

Personally, I'm a nurse, I work with people who are dying and have seen death. I'm still very much an Atheist..
Seeing you are in the medical field, have you heard of the tests they did either with MRI or (forget the other name of the machine) and were able to induce an OOBE in patients? IIRC this was done and folk did experience the phenomena but as you pointed out, none were able to identify simple easy to spot stuff.

This suggests to me that even these experiences are just the mind playing tricks.

When I was in my late teens, I was convinced I could astral travel. As kids we spoke a lot about it and invariably I would have these vivid dreams and remember them. Many times at that age I had dreams of falling and like just before you hit the pavement you get the sensation of floating slowly into your bed. I Later learned that the human brain sometimes is only fully developed at the age of 22-25. I also had sleep paralysis experiences and often would wake with my arm asleep.

These experiences I no longer have and when I dream, it really is at the juncture of waking up and usually garbage.

I suspect that most folk have these experiences at that age but I also believe that the way the subconscious reacts is determined by the conscious stimulae we are exposed to. At that age we were bombarded by so much information in the classroom and the hours of homework that maybe this was our brains saying TILT (for those that remember pinball machines )

Old 06-24-2011, 04:44 PM

593 posts, read 1,315,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightShadow View Post
Because he used the word dumb? Thats their lexicon which New World explain. Older Atheist meant supporting a concept that would prevent him from doing what he wants to do. What he heard was...if you want to STAY atheist, you must give up your dreams because we don't believe all things come under your precious science.

From that point of view, he felt everyone was sayiing his god (science) was impotent, and required him to be blind to believe in it, love it, or have any relationship to it.

How do I explain this...the kid was crying at that point but trying his best. Imagine you having to teach these kids. (Put Myself in this position). What a nightmare if I'm always coming from a Christian Paradigm but these kids are Russian born with no exposure to religion at all. They can't relate to it, it doesn't make sense...

Their Atheism has no relation at all to religion. It is an affirming philosophy, not a anti anything at all. So here comes one of those upstarts and he's totally confused. He doesn't get it...Their orientation has nothing to do with Gods.

The weakness of being with only your own point of reference is that no one can ask Hey kid what do you mean without insulting him because they felt insulted. Think how would New World had met that question and conclusion. He sure wouldn't have let that kid walk out of the Atheist gate THAT'S for sure! LOL

Hold up..let Me get off of the phone.
lets be clear on something, thinking that science is god, is not technically an atheist
Atheist don't believe science is god, or anything else is god.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:47 PM

I'm through derailing the thread and it isn't MY belief.

I rather talk about the crazies, okay that was wrong... delete. No I'm not saying celebrities are crazy lunatics at all... *whistles* I might have to work with one someday. I better delete that. rofl

Old 06-24-2011, 04:54 PM

593 posts, read 1,315,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightShadow View Post
I'm through derailing the thread and it isn't MY belief.

I rather talk about the crazies, okay that was wrong... delete. No I'm not saying celebrities are crazy lunatics at all... *whistles* I might have to work with one someday. I better delete that. rofl
Yes, please lets get back to the subject...
We dont even know if the kid, is really a kid, an adult, a female/male, etc..
Just because some say they are young doesnt mean it is real.
So lets get back to the subject...

In my opinion, ghost and atheist don't mix.
I believe that if you believe in spirits or ghost, then you believe in one way or another in a higher power or entity, and if you do, then you are not an atheist.
I don't believe in spirits or ghosts.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:01 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Seeing you are in the medical field, have you heard of the tests they did either with MRI or (forget the other name of the machine) and were able to induce an OOBE in patients? IIRC this was done and folk did experience the phenomena but as you pointed out, none were able to identify simple easy to spot stuff.

This suggests to me that even these experiences are just the mind playing tricks.

When I was in my late teens, I was convinced I could astral travel. As kids we spoke a lot about it and invariably I would have these vivid dreams and remember them. Many times at that age I had dreams of falling and like just before you hit the pavement you get the sensation of floating slowly into your bed. I Later learned that the human brain sometimes is only fully developed at the age of 22-25. I also had sleep paralysis experiences and often would wake with my arm asleep.

These experiences I no longer have and when I dream, it really is at the juncture of waking up and usually garbage.

I suspect that most folk have these experiences at that age but I also believe that the way the subconscious reacts is determined by the conscious stimulae we are exposed to. At that age we were bombarded by so much information in the classroom and the hours of homework that maybe this was our brains saying TILT (for those that remember pinball machines )
You know that creepy feeling where you just know something is in your room, watching you?

I've read studies where electrodes where placed over a specific region of the brain, and patients reported that same feeling.

I've also had a sleep paralysis incident as a teen including hallucination. I was alone in my room going to sleep, when suddenly I had a strong feeling there was something in the corner of the room. I remember not being able to move and just absolutely knowing something was in my room watching me. I was an Atheist then too and didn't believe in the supernatural, and I kept trying to get up and turn the light on, but..nope! It was vivid and scary at the time, and I can see how people could interpret it as something supernatural, but...people tend to underestimate the power of the mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality