Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 01:48 PM

9 posts, read 8,505 times

Advertisements

Anybody interested in Marcion, and his teaching? I have found him more and more interesting as I have looked into his thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 01:58 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashfulAnthony View Post
Anybody interested in Marcion, and his teaching? I have found him more and more interesting as I have looked into his thinking.
Never heard of him. What's his gig?

Old 08-20-2015, 02:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Without Googlecribbiing... He's the one who began to collate his own Bible - in fact the first collation of OT, Gospels and Paul - but just left out a lot of stuff that he didn't agree with, prompting Constantine to have his own collection made, Marcion declared heretical and all other 'Bibles' suppressed. Do I have the right guy?

Some suggest that Marcion wrote Paul's letters himself. I don't agree. Paul's earlier letters at least look authentic to me.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:40 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Without Googlecribbiing... He's the one who began to collate his own Bible - in fact the first collation of OT, Gospels and Paul - but just left out a lot of stuff that he didn't agree with, prompting Constantine to have his own collection made, Marcion declared heretical and all other 'Bibles' suppressed. Do I have the right guy?

Some suggest that Marcion wrote Paul's letters himself. I don't agree. Paul's earlier letters at least look authentic to me.
I think so. He was similar to the Gnostics in that he believed that the God of the OT was not the same as God the father. The OT was to be read literally and described evil-god, or the demiurge, whereas the NT presented the good God.

-NoCapo

Old 08-20-2015, 06:56 AM

10 posts, read 6,855 times
Quote:

No.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:28 AM

You guys are all correct - except the last one! - Basically, he believed that the OT God was an incorrect interpretation, a God of hate, rather than love; and he also virtually rejected the OT, believing in the message of Jesus as being his guiding light alone. An interesting man, and one in which I find much to entice me.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:57 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
You guys are all correct - except the last one! - Basically, he believed that the OT God was an incorrect interpretation, a God of hate, rather than love; and he also virtually rejected the OT, believing in the message of Jesus as being his guiding light alone. An interesting man, and one in which I find much to entice me.
Yes, it would seem that he was on the right track here. Recognizing that the OT is a history of the development in one people group concerning the nature of God rather than communication FROM God is a big step in understanding the Word and the social background where it was presented.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:16 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
God of the Old Testament did not have spiritual authority in the world and the devil ruled the earth , See God gave the earth to man , which He still does today ,........... except to day God has the Judgment of the cross of Christ and has spiritual authority through man today through Jesus ................ So in the Old Testament God had people killed which He then could take the devil responsible out and put them in the pit and out of the earth .................. Where today the cross of Christ judgment will rip the devil out of the earth through Man faith ...... See it was the lack of spiritual authority that God looked evil before , where He still had all the love and goodness He does today .... So what does Marcion of Sinope say about spiritual authority of God ?

Old 08-20-2015, 05:52 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I wonder about it. There could have been some validity to the idea. I definitely think that "Paul" was referring to symbols in his writing, which would have had more psychological meanings than what most people would read it as. But sometimes I think all of his "personal" details about traveling and greeting people...some of it sounds suspicious at times.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:15 AM

I have lifted this from Wiki, as it says it more succinctly than I can:

Marcion believed Jesus was the savior sent by God, and Paul the Apostle was his chief apostle, but he rejected the Hebrew Bible and the God of Israel. Marcionists believe that the wrathful Hebrew God was a separate and lower entity than the all-forgiving God of the New Testament. This belief was in some ways similar to Gnostic Christian theology; notably, both are dualistic, that is, they propose opposing gods, forces, or principles: one higher, spiritual, and "good", and the other lower, material, and "evil,"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality