Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 10:12 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I know a bar downtown who holds service after last call. No church necessary. No collections. Just young street preachers reaching out.

I've seen that as well. They are the worker bees who are doing the heavy lifting and toting. I've huge admiration for the people who are out in the streets helping people. I've seen those street preachers, while the church preachers are home tucked into bed getting their 8 hours, making sure people have a ride home so they don't drive drunk. I've seen them holding heads and hands at two in the morning. Takes a special person to clean up a drunk and do more than just preach to them from the Bible. They aren't home writing sermons. They are out spreading the Good News by BEING the Good News.

I've also seen biker gangs and AA groups and non-Christians collecting Toys For Tots and holding canned food drives. I've seen groups of vets feeding the homeless in parks. I've seen Pagans collecting canned goods for the needy at fairs. No church necessary. They do it because it's the right thing to do.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-24-2015 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 10:28 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,611,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've seen that as well. They are the worker bees who are doing the heavy lifting and toting. I've huge admiration for the people who are out in the streets helping people.

I've also seen biker gangs and AA groups and non-Christians collecting Toys For Tots and holding canned food drives. I've seen groups of vets feeding the homeless in parks. I've seen Pagans collecting canned goods for the needy at fairs. No church necessary. They do it because it's the right thing to do.
Imagine doing all that without church interference.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:34 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Time to end the gaping tax break for these scam artists that allows them to prey on the ignorant!

Old 08-24-2015, 10:38 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,319,539 times
I have seen even bars organize charity funds for families in need, Harley riders gather toys for the poor for Christmas, service clubs really exist to fund chartiable deeds. Churchs are not alone in helping the community. If they should or should not have tax free status is independent of the idea that it is only churchs that aid the community. People who are employed by non profit groups that assist the needy are usually at the lower end of the wage scales. I see no reason why anyone should become rich on tax free money no matter who they work for or what they do.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:11 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,728,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
John Oliver nails the IRS and churches.
IRS Under Microscope After John Oliver Televangelism Segment

This type of tax fraud has been going on forever. It’s time to get these crazies off the air and out of the churches across the country.

John Oliver has always had a good show but this time he outdid himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg
Sounds like you want separation of church and state to be a one way street. If the government gets in the business of the church's business then we should have the full right to get in the government's business starting with churches fully be allowed to endorse political candidates.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:18 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,728,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've seen that as well. They are the worker bees who are doing the heavy lifting and toting. I've huge admiration for the people who are out in the streets helping people. I've seen those street preachers, while the church preachers are home tucked into bed getting their 8 hours, making sure people have a ride home so they don't drive drunk. I've seen them holding heads and hands at two in the morning. Takes a special person to clean up a drunk and do more than just preach to them from the Bible. They aren't home writing sermons. They are out spreading the Good News by BEING the Good News.

That's all nice, but they can't attend to the spiritual needs of people which are great. A church can provide direct individual personal counseling (something the secular world would make you pay out the nose for) and assistance to local members of the community like visiting them in the hospital. I know when my dad had open heart surgery years ago, I was so comforted and relieved when my pastor and his wife showed up in the family waiting room. Knowing that they made the 100 mile drive meant a lot too. We need churches. There are a lot of depressed people out there feeling hopeless.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:25 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Sounds like you want separation of church and state to be a one way street. If the government gets in the business of the church's business then we should have the full right to get in the government's business starting with churches fully be allowed to endorse political candidates.
That's the way Iran works.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:27 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
That's all nice, but they can't attend to the spiritual needs of people which are great. A church can provide direct individual personal counseling (something the secular world would make you pay out the nose for) and assistance to local members of the community like visiting them in the hospital. I know when my dad had open heart surgery years ago, I was so comforted and relieved when my pastor and his wife showed up in the family waiting room. Knowing that they made the 100 mile drive meant a lot too. We need churches. There are a lot of depressed people out there feeling hopeless.
When I was in the hospital for three and a half months, and my ex Fundy wife showed up with her pastor who wanted to pray for me, I was pretty pissed off.

I don't need somebody invoking some sort of incantations like an African witch doctor to make me feel better. That's what doctors are for, they did a wonderful job.

No woo needed.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:34 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
When I was in the hospital for three and a half months, and my ex Fundy wife showed up with her pastor who wanted to pray for me, I was pretty pissed off.

I don't need somebody invoking some sort of incantations like an African witch doctor to make me feel better. That's what doctors are for, they did a wonderful job.

No woo needed.
Why are you so angry at religion?

Old 08-24-2015, 01:35 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Quote:
I have no idea of where you get that idea? I didn’t say anything remotely like that in my post. Don’t jump to opinions based on your lack of understanding or reading or checking the links provided. Think! Don’t assume someone else said something they didn’t.

As for the other comments businesses already endorse political candidates, many already have their lobbyists taking care of our elected representatives. I don’t like it, but that’s the way it is for now. Churches (some) already do promote a political candidate of their choice with their congregation and followers. I’m not in favor of that either, but it is what it is.

The link provided shows how dishonest and corrupt the televangelists are for the most part. Yes there may be several that aren’t, but I’m viewing the majority of them from the views I’ve been given. Corrupt dishonest immoral and worse than most used car salesmen in general. If they con their followers and scam the money then they should be jailed just like other criminals. How dishonest using religion for personal gain.

If the government wants to tax them because they’re using the church as a business for personal profit than collect the taxes at least or jail the leader for criminal actions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=7y1xJAVZxXg

Last edited by AksarbeN; 08-24-2015 at 01:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality