Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:58 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times

Advertisements

Nope, won't work for Troop, June Lets try this.. What a good thing that you got ahold of a chaplain that didn't go blabbin about you, or thumping the bible upside your head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 07:59 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
How 'bout God putting the best "therapist" (the chaplain) in your path at that moment in time?

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist...)
Nope, it was merely a situational circumstance.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:09 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,048 times
I think city-data is pretty good therapy, they should just give soldiers in your same situation access to forums like this. Here you are talking things out with like minded people and those of every other belief system out there. I am a christian, but I believe it is wrong to only have one relgion's needs represented in the military. America is the melting pot of the world - all nations, languages, and religions are represented within our shores. Your concern is valid.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
I think city-data is pretty good therapy, they should just give soldiers in your same situation access to forums like this. Here you are talking things out with like minded people and those of every other belief system out there. I am a christian, but I believe it is wrong to only have one relgion's needs represented in the military. America is the melting pot of the world - all nations, languages, and religions are represented within our shores. Your concern is valid.
Yes, I agree and although I am now "out" of the military, I can say that we did have access to these kinds of forums although I'm sure only a handful of people might have taken advantage of them.

In regards to the military, they did not only have one specific type of chaplain, they did try to cater to many different types of beliefs and religions. There was even a Wiccan chaplain at one base. The problem is that people willing to do the job are few and far between so every base can't have every single denomination. It wouldn't be uncommon for a Jewish person to talk to a Christian Chaplain out of necessity and we were instructed that any faith could talk to a chaplain of any particular faith so the "throw the Bible at them" approach would not have been very conducive. The military tried to be as accomodating as possible in regards to people's beliefs but not their (dis)beliefs.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:25 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

The military tried to be as accomodating as possible in regards to people's beliefs but not their (dis)beliefs.
It's nothing if not a larger system where the best interest of that system is to protect itself. I can't help but feel that even the chaplain would have been duty bound to act as a mandated reporter in the event that a soldier admitted to serious intent to harm him/herself or others...

Nonetheless, I'm glad that they provide someone (chaplain) who is a "neutral" and safe third party. (Definition of "third party" of interest here!)

Take gentle care of disclosures!

Old 01-27-2008, 08:29 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,048 times
Thanks for clarifying that. To me, the perception always was "throw the bible at them", but I am glad to know that is not so.

Side note: Thanks for your service - I do appreciate the sacrifice.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
It's nothing if not a larger system where the best interest of that system is to protect itself. I can't help but feel that even the chaplain would have been duty bound to act as a mandated reporter in the event that a soldier admitted to serious intent to harm him/herself or others...

Nonetheless, I'm glad that they provide someone (chaplain) who is a "neutral" and safe third party. (Definition of "third party" of interest here!)

Take gentle care of disclosures!
Well yes I'm sure that if a soldier came into the chaplain and said "I'm going to swallow a live grenade in the chow hall" that he would have to report it.

But, because the military has a different set of laws, there are also times when someone may break the law in the military that might otherwise be legal in the civilian world. For example, if a soldier went to a military therapist and said "I tried some pot at a party two months ago and it's killing me." the therapist would be forced to tell the unit commander what he did. However, he could go to the chaplain, tell him the same thing, and he'd have to keep it a secret. Here's the kicker.... they'd probably send the poor guy to the freaking therapist for treatment before they kicked him out!

Old 01-27-2008, 10:18 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:

Here's the kicker.... they'd probably send the poor guy to the freaking therapist for treatment before they kicked him out!

Heaven forbid.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:08 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,415 times
GCSTroop, I am really sorry you had difficulties while attempting to manage your military life. But hey, join the club even we Christian have severe problems

But seriously, you said:

Quote:
Why should I, as an Atheist, have had only one available method of recourse (the chaplain) if I had a legitimate concern?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like a military problem. I mean they sent you to a councilor, but told you "they may give away your secrets" like you have a plan to overthrow the government or something? Crazy. Shouldn't they provide someone who can "keep a secret" that is not a chaplain?

Old 01-27-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
GCSTroop, I am really sorry you had difficulties while attempting to manage your military life. But hey, join the club even we Christian have severe problems

But seriously, you said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like a military problem. I mean they sent you to a councilor, but told you "they may give away your secrets" like you have a plan to overthrow the government or something? Crazy. Shouldn't they provide someone who can "keep a secret" that is not a chaplain?
Well, the problems weren't that bad. It was merely a matter of needing to confide in someone in a time when I was in this utterly strange new world and didn't know who I could trust. Part of the problem was the "newness" of the situation anyway.

But, yes, you are correct, it is a military problem and until they make greater strides at allowing people to feel "safe" while talking to a counselor than there are going to be major problems. Yes, a chaplain can be of assistance, as he was in my case. However, the chaplain would not always be the best method of recourse available for many people, especially the ones coming home from war. Yet, it seems, this is the path many choose out of seeming necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality