Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 11:15 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
That Darwin was in fact an agnostic is clearly evident with some online research. This reinforces that ignorance is common with them as much as the people they make a hobby of criticizing.

If they do not even know this fact about one of their 'heroes', how can their criticisms be taken seriously?

https://www.darwinproject.ac.uk/comm...darwin-believe
I don’t really care much what religious views most historical figures held. If Darwin was a church going christian, his Origin of Species would still stand on its own as a paradigm shift, changing the way we look at the natural world and understand speciation.

Darwin isn’t a particular hero of atheists, any more than Pliny, Newton, Aristotle, Einstein, or Da Vinci are.

Critique the work, not the person. That is the easiest way to avoid ad hominem fallacies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 11:59 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
That Darwin was in fact an agnostic is clearly evident with some online research. This reinforces that ignorance is common with them as much as the people they make a hobby of criticizing.

If they do not even know this fact about one of their 'heroes', how can their criticisms be taken seriously?

We atheists have some news for you. We are agnostics too.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This has been brewing since the 1980s, laying the groundwork for the Pat Robertson campaign for president by ginning up things like the doctrine (and mind, it didn't exist before 1980) that life begins at conception, ergo, abortion is murder -- as fulcrums to agitate the faithful to political action.

As a person who grew up in the pre 1980's evangelical world, I can tell you, I was taught that politics was dirty business that was beneath us. It was a huge sea change to switch to the opposite tack on that.

What you are noticing now is that evangelicals have simply given up all pretense of moral high ground and sold their collective souls out to get Trump elected. That's what Trump demands of his supporters in exchange for supreme court nominations or whatever other quid pro quo was involved.

The net effect is that right wing religion is now practically synonymous with right wing politics. That's why politics arises so quickly in fundamentalist discourse -- they are, whether admitting it or not, on a mission to build a quasi-theocracy in the name of "taking back America for god".
Can't rep you (nor a lot of other deserving people, at the moment) but that is, I am sure, how it is. Before, so long as American people were all Christian, politics could be separate. Now the perception is that American government should be Christian, too.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:09 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:

Speaking only for myself, Darwin is not my hero and I never asserted nor assumed he was an atheist. In fact I am aware that he did not particularly like his own theory in terms of the implications to his religious upbringing. But of course as a scientist -- he followed the facts where they led, not where he decided in advance they SHOULD lead.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:58 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
From Wiki on Darwin;
Quote:
.... Though reticent about his religious views, in 1879 he responded that he had never been an atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a god, and that generally "an Agnostic would be the more correct description of my state of mind."

Old 01-17-2018, 12:03 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I have my theories but let's discuss.

U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey | Pew Research Center
Athiesm or even rationalism is not born out of logic or reasoning, its born out of reaction or opposition. So they need to keep gathering. Their basic premise is "no" , so it then leads to "why" .

Old 01-17-2018, 12:07 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Athiesm or even rationalism is not born out of logic or reasoning, its born out of reaction or opposition. So they need to keep gathering. Their basic premise is "no" , so it then leads to "why" .
Explain?

I can tell you that my atheist view was indeed born out of logic and reasoning. I should know.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:58 AM

Default Constantine video.

I though of posting thei is A/A, but maybe others should see this.

I came across it while browsing recent archaological work reports. The vid. not unsurprisingly, plays the 'Never seen before" card, but in fact that Constantine was a pagan and remained one had been strongly suspected, not to say known, for a long time.

That his triumphal arch depicted no sign whatsoever of a conversion to Christianity before the battle of Milvian bridge has long been known, that his creed was rather Sol Invicta (the sun -god) with which he identified himself. His recognition of Christianity was partly political savvy - best to get increasingly numerous Christians onside than keep treating them as criminals - and partly because his mother was a Christian. She scoured the Holy Land for tourist trash and fake relics for which she was made patron saint of archeology.

After Constantine, a process began of the Bishop of Rome gradually putting more and more pressure on the Emperors to give Christianity more ans more power until all rival religions were obliterated; and in time, the office of Emperor was usurped by the Pope.

Anyway..the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY1_sYnr0gE

Old 01-17-2018, 07:32 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oceans razor????????????? LOLOLOLOLOL
LOL! I missed that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I came across it while browsing recent archaological work reports. The vid. not unsurprisingly, plays the 'Never seen before" card, but in fact that Constantine was a pagan and remained one had been strongly suspected, not to say known, for a long time.
Quite so my dear old lemon. I suspect that Constantine's 'interest' in Christianity came, not from a belief that it was true but more from a desire to please his dear old mum, herself a rabid, fire spitting Christian. Constantine remained head of the pagan church until the day of his death. Christians cling desperately to the claim that he was the first Christian emperor as if that proved Christianity true. I suppose that, technically, he was the first Christian emperor as, allegedly, he converted a few hours before he died.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:18 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,237 times
One reason atheist may be more knowledgeable on the Bible is that many have been former Christians. As with myself, many won’t leave the faith without reading the Bible and honestly searching for the truth. Reading and studying the Bible led to my atheism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality