Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 09:12 PM

29,474 posts, read 22,487,125 times

Advertisements

I watched a little bit of some of his speaking engagements, seemed like a charismatic person.

Self-Help Pioneer Dr. Wayne Dyer Dies at 75, Family and Publisher Say - NBC News

Quote:
Dr. Wayne Dyer, the self-help guru whose best-seller "Your Erroneous Zones" was adopted by millions as a guide to better living, has died at 75, his family and publisher said Sunday.

Dyer died Saturday night in Maui, Hawaii, said Reid Tracy, chief executive of Dyer's publisher, Hay House. The cause of death wasn't immediately reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 04:14 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,338,815 times
Default Sad news for many

I'm not surprised by this, since he was diagnosed with leukemia, and I knew that his regimen of positive thinking, daily exercise, and remote "psychic therapy" from a Brazilian named "John the God" would not work. There were many who loved this man because of what he taught, so it's sad news for these people, as well as his family. It's sad when anyone is taken out by a disease that we don't have a cure for.

I was never a follower or a fan. I first encountered him in the movie "The Shift", when a New Ager invited me to watch it with her so I could understand something about her New Age spirituality. I realized that she was in desperate need to hear what he was saying, as a woman struggling with a mental illness, one who was obsessed with self-help material, self-harm, sexual trauma, depression, and suicidal tendencies. She needed the immediate help of a mental health professional, not platitudes of optimism from Dyer. I had no such need, and didn't find Dyer's message useful or more relevant than my own personal beliefs, opinions, perspective, and upbringing about how to live my life.

He came off as the most angelic, peaceful man who ever walked this earth, yet he was separated from this third wife. The man had personal issues, and made a lot of money pushing platitudes. Millions of people seemed to be suckered into the notion that he was somewhat of a prophet or some kind of inspirational leader. I found him to be nothing more than an optimist.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:53 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,756,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I'm not surprised by this, since he was diagnosed with leukemia, and I knew that his regimen of positive thinking, daily exercise, and remote "psychic therapy" from a Brazilian named "John the God" would not work. There were many who loved this man because of what he taught, so it's sad news for these people, as well as his family. It's sad when anyone is taken out by a disease that we don't have a cure for.

I was never a follower or a fan. I first encountered him in the movie "The Shift", when a New Ager invited me to watch it with her so I could understand something about her New Age spirituality. I realized that she was in desperate need to hear what he was saying, as a woman struggling with a mental illness, one who was obsessed with self-help material, self-harm, sexual trauma, depression, and suicidal tendencies. She needed the immediate help of a mental health professional, not platitudes of optimism from Dyer. I had no such need, and didn't find Dyer's message useful or more relevant than my own personal beliefs, opinions, perspective, and upbringing about how to live my life.

He came off as the most angelic, peaceful man who ever walked this earth, yet he was separated from this third wife. The man had personal issues, and made a lot of money pushing platitudes. Millions of people seemed to be suckered into the notion that he was somewhat of a prophet or some kind of inspirational leader. I found him to be nothing more than an optimist.
A motivational New Age guru is how I would characterize him. I read some of his books but liken them to other New Age stuff like "The Secret" and some things from Tony Robbins. I am not a big fan of those who mostly peddle this kind of stuff. Lots of platitudes and nice sounding words but little on substance that actually works to a great degree.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:08 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,338,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
A motivational New Age guru is how I would characterize him. I read some of his books but liken them to other New Age stuff like "The Secret" and some things from Tony Robbins. I am not a big fan of those who mostly peddle this kind of stuff. Lots of platitudes and nice sounding words but little on substance that actually works to a great degree.
I absolutely agree. Hard to believe so many people are in such a state in their lives, that they have to seek someone like this to coddle them with such fluff. Pure New Age woo.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:29 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,202,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I'm not surprised by this, since he was diagnosed with leukemia, and I knew that his regimen of positive thinking, daily exercise, and remote "psychic therapy" from a Brazilian named "John the God" would not work.
The coroner's report showed not one trace of leukemia in him, it was a heart attack that took him out.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:42 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,291,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
The coroner's report showed not one trace of leukemia in him,
it was a heart attack that took him out.
That's what I thought I heard, also...I was able to be very close to him once...a lovely,
lovely, gentle man.
Dammit, I wish he could have been around here forever!
To me he was like a saint...generous, compassionate, honest and wise...always
learning and growing and sharing what he found out!
Oh, Wayne...I hope I am in your crowd on the Other Side, you great guy, you!
xxoo Our loss.

''In a Facebook update from Saje Dyer, Dr. Wayne Dyer's daughter, here is information regarding her father's autopsy results:
September 1 at 12:08pm
"I am so proud and awed to announce that after the autopsy that was performed on my Dad to discover the cause of death, we were told that there was absolutely no trace of Leukemia. When he was diagnosed with Leukemia we were told that this particular type was incurable. However he always believed that he had cured himself through spiritual healings and positive belief. This is confirmation that everything he said and believed was true....''

When a thread is in honor of someone's death whether a Bush or a Clinton...if something unkind is said in bad taste ...that person goes on my ignore list that second.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:05 PM

9,963 posts, read 4,920,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
That's what I thought I heard, also...I was able to be very close to him once...a lovely,
lovely, gentle man.
Dammit, I wish he could have been around here forever!
To me he was like a saint...generous, compassionate, honest and wise...always
learning and growing and sharing what he found out!
Oh, Wayne...I hope I am in your crowd on the Other Side, you great guy, you!
xxoo Our loss.
Since there is ' going to be ' a resurrection.....Acts 24:15 - and death frees or acquits a person - Romans 6:7 - then there is the resurrection hope of being re-united with Wayne on the ' other side '.

Most people think of the ' other side ' as being in heaven, but Jesus also promised that humble meek people would inherit the earth - Matthew 5:5; Psalm 37:11,29. So, besides a heavenly resurrection for some - Rev. 20:6, the majority of people can be resurrected back to healthy physical life on earth starting with the ' other side ' or Jesus' soon coming 1,000 year governmental rulership over earth when enemy death will be No more - 1st Cor. 15:26; Rev. 21:3-4.
As Adam was offered the prospect of everlasting ( forever ) life on earth as long as he did Not break God's law, then those resurrected back to life on earth will have that same opportunity to remain on earth, and live here forever on a beautiful paradisaical earth as the Garden of Eden was a sample. I think Wayne loved being here, and that seems to indicate he will be brought back restored to healthy physical life having a sound heart, mind and body never to be sick again - Isaiah 33:24

Old 09-22-2015, 06:54 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,139,624 times
It is appointed unto man to die once

A coward dies many deaths

Old 09-22-2015, 07:15 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,500,241 times
I liked his books and found his seminars to be eye-opening. It was the first experience I had that encompassed Christianity (with concepts) but also embraced other religions showing the similarity between them in their core messages. That led me out of fundamentalism and into a more free-thinking spirituality. I'm thankful to him and sad he died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality