Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:43 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

crystal-sea,
I was just reading my post from last night and it sounded a little rude. Sorry, I see you're fairly new to the forum too. I just couldn't figure out what you were saying. MG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 12:41 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
I don't trust the humans that translate the bible, because they are fallible humans that have their own political, social, cultural, and gender agenda; and the church and organized religion is also a political institution with its own power agenda.

What I do trust is the word of God as it is revealed directly to me as you say through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, which is the indwelling Christ. So I have to absolutely agree with you that the truth is revealed and available to us directly and individually.

I just don't need an intermediary or a bunch of old white males telling me what God "really means" to me, I believe the Creator wants each of us to have our own direct personal living relationship. That I trust 1000%
I agree with you needing the personal living relationship, but what white males are you refering too? And what is wrong with a white male? Or an old one? Are you prejedice?

We are all infalible humans, but I think something happens when we connect with the living God. We become something more... we can look at the world and see his hand. We can read dusty old books and hear his voice. We can translate that word into another language and still keep the meaning alive.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:51 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal-sea View Post
hmmmm, the bible says that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years and a thousand years as a day.

check it out yourself: 2Peter 3:8

so when it comes to estimating how old the earth is according to the bible, God's mail to man, then from God's perspective the earth is a day old, which is no different to him than zillions of years old.

now for us since God made the animals and vegetation before he made man we had better go and ask the lions, tigers, and bears first.

tee-hee-hee
This is a classic example of taking the bible out of context and creating a doctrine using a small portion of scripture out of context and without concern to the entire text.

This text is refering to Gods patience in waiting for one unbeliever to be saved. This text is not saying anything about the length of a day.

The operative word here is "as" which is a comparison. It is like my wife saying that my snoring is "as" if I was cutting logs with a chainsaw. I am not actually cutting logs and there is no chainsaw in my bedroom.

"As" is not "IS", so this theory is thrown out. We also must take a day to be a day because Genesis has already defined a day as having an "evening" and a "morning". So reguardless to how the days appear to God they are still days and he still created everything in six of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality