Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 12:58 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times

Advertisements

Here it comes..A Muslim flight attendant is refusing to serve alcohol during flights.

Charee Stanley, who converted to Islam two years ago, has filed a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, demanding ExpressJet offer her a religious accommodation so that she doesn't have to serve cocktails.

Muslim flight attendant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 01:02 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
BA had to give way over someone wearing a Christian symbol. Time to apply the right rule - if you don't want to do the job, find another one.

Of course, a company may not want to risk getting a boycott (at least) from muslim customers, so we shall see.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:07 PM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times
So are we going to allow religion to be part of this culture or not?

Maybe I should rephrase the question...

So are we going to allow Christianity to be part of the culture or not? Islam is obviously making inroads and is accepted...

Old 09-08-2015, 01:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

So are we going to allow Christianity to be part of the culture or not? ........
Ms. Davis had a Bible in jail. No one tried to deny her that. No one tried to make her read the Koran. Right now they're holding church outside that jail. No one is getting arrested for praying in public. No one is being put into that jail for holding up a Christian cross.

Right now I'm feeling sorry for any Jew who should wander through town. Because that Jew is going to know HIS religious beliefs will take a back seat to the religious beliefs of the hundreds of people singing hymns in the streets of Podunk, Kentucky. As will the beliefs of a woman wearing a hijab. You think the people holding up the crosses are going to honor HER beliefs? If you do.....tell us what you're smoking. It must be good stuff.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-08-2015 at 01:28 PM..

Old 09-08-2015, 01:20 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:

So are we going to allow Christianity to be part of the culture or not? Islam is obviously making inroads and is accepted...

I am not sure that she thinks that getting fired is the same as being accepted. Apprently they made accomodations with the other staff but when one other flight attendent complained the airlines fired the Muslim convert who was refusing to serve alcohol. The OP did not make that clear hence the reason for your assumption that Muslims were being treated better than Christians. Not the case, as in both this and the county clerk cases both were offered accomodations for their religous beliefs, the clerk refused that accomodation until she had accomodations in the county jail and the flight attendent had accomodations until a coworker did not like that and the FA was out of a job.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:21 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
I don't care if your god says, or your politics say, or your cat says, or the little aliens living in your trash can say.
Do the job, or find another. This is not a difficult concept.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:30 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times
She should find a job that serves no booze. We should not be held hostage to her personal choice of faith.

Cosmo's for everyone

Old 09-08-2015, 01:36 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
ALL religions are allowed to be part of this culture. What they are NOT allowed to do is violate ANY of our secular laws because of their religion!!!

Old 09-08-2015, 01:37 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

Cosmo's for everyone

I'm a little hungry. Can I get a BLT on toast with that?

Or maybe a crab cake?

Old 09-08-2015, 01:38 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Well, here's the way I heard the story.

She used to serve booze. Then she became a Muslim. She asked for a religious exemption. The airline tried, but it didn't work out. Think about it. When the drink cart comes down the aisle of the airplane, there is no room to go around it, so, when a customer on her end of the cart wanted a beer, there wasn't a convenient way for somebody else to do it, so some of the other flight attendants complained that her refusal to serve alcohol was interfering with their ability to do their own jobs. The airline said they tried, but they could not make the accommodation, so she would have to serve alcohol or leave.

The law says they have to make a reasonable effort at accommodation. It doesn't say they have to do whatever an employee wants them to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality