Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 08:25 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You're comparing Lucy to the Piltdown scam which SCIENTISTS were skeptical of from the start?
When a person is psychologically dependent on a placebo (ie a false belief that confers real physical or psychological benefits), the truth is literally hazardous to their health.

That's why many religious people go to absurd lengths to defend their beliefs. It's not always a matter of stupidity. Often it's a matter of psychological dependence on a false belief.

I knew an evangelical family in Chicago that said they would actually want to die if they found out that God didn't exist. If your religion is the only thing you believe you have to live for, then all hell will break loose if you find out that your religion is false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 08:27 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Mocking and sarcasm is disrespectful and has no place in the discussion. If your position needs such tactics to prop it up then you are the one lacking faith.
I write exactly how I think. I am never disrespectful. I have no tactics. You simply give me many opportunities to correct your thinking.

The fact that I do it with gusto, and enjoyment has nothing to do with it.... nothing..... really.....

It is never disrespect to point out the unimaginable, cruelty of a fundamentalist ideology.

It makes them uncomfortable, and they whine about mocking, and disrespect. Anything in disagreement must be considered disrespect. That is simply not true.

if you wish to know if i enjoyed my response........ the answer is ...... ...

Old 09-12-2015, 10:14 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Of course I do. But not fairy tales.
They are the same thing.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I am a seeker of truth so why would I be afraid of it? No, it is more akin to claiming that there is evidence that your parents or relatives don't exist. You regard the evidence in light of your knowledge that your parents do exist. We know God exists. We know. There is no doubt involved and Christianity is not a blind faith.

I take this evidence for what it is. It is not any proof that nullifies God's existence.
No, you are a seeker of affirmation. You only take proof that backs up your beliefs in biblical inerrancy. You dismiss everything that brings doubt.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Typical chest thumping from the goop ancestor people. Why even have a discussion if you are so immediately dismissive of creationists? I guess just to rub it in our face.
Probably because the arguments creationists bring forward lack intelligence. It's pretty hard to believe that a creation Twenty Five Hundred year old creation epic with roots in other near eastern myths is more accurate than educated scientific find. It doesn't dismiss the fact that there might be a deity behind human events. It's just tells us that they aren't limited to one geographical region is all.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Maybe it's because we've seen so many hoaxes perpetrated from a single tooth (Nebraska Man -- and the tooth was from a pig, no less), or even 2 fossils stuck together to try to "create" a new species. Lucy, Java Man, Piltdown man, etc. We've seen all kinds of supposedly missing links end up being nonsense.
So three hoaxes that happened in the early stages of the field mean you dismiss findings forever? Java man and Lucy are not hoaxes. Which I know probably runs contrary to that wonderful bastion of science, Answers in Genesis.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Why should I listen to posters like yourself who resort to weak tactics like mockery and personal attacks? That's the consequence of showing disrespect to Christians. We don't take you seriously.
You aren't a Christian. You are a bible thumper, there is a distinct difference. I have plenty of Christian friends and none of them define their faith by literalism. If your belief set is so weak that it hinges on one hundred percent accuracy, then maybe you should consider a different religion.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:51 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Actually, I think I saw that middle thing early this morning outside the 7-11.
He's a presidential candidate.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:56 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
You aren't a Christian. You are a bible thumper, there is a distinct difference. I have plenty of Christian friends and none of them define their faith by literalism. If your belief set is so weak that it hinges on one hundred percent accuracy, then maybe you should consider a different religion.
No one has the authority to say who is (or isn't) a Christian.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
No one has the authority to say who is (or isn't) a Christian.
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, then..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality