Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 08:46 PM

79 posts, read 212,064 times

Advertisements

Its funny how the mods mix Religion with Philosophy...two completely opposing views. Its like putting gunpowder with matches and waiting to see what happens.

If the subjects were religion only then you may have more heated but peaceful discussions over differences in religion. Adding philosophers, especially atheist and agnostics is ridiculous.

Like having Auto Technology with Growing Tomatoes. Sure there are points that relate but the reason they are there are completely different.

Just a thought.

Oh and i am serious about a hacker trying to come at me while visiting here earlier. Does anyone else have any experience with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 09:01 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrash View Post
Its funny how the mods mix Religion with Philosophy...two completely opposing views. Its like putting gunpowder with matches and waiting to see what happens.

If the subjects were religion only then you may have more heated but peaceful discussions over differences in religion. Adding philosophers, especially atheist and agnostics is ridiculous.

Like having Auto Technology with Growing Tomatoes. Sure there are points that relate but the reason they are there are completely different.

Just a thought.

Oh and i am serious about a hacker trying to come at me while visiting here earlier. Does anyone else have any experience with that?
What if you make an auto out of tomatoes?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:37 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzy View Post
It's interesting with your comment that you would be here. The complexity of everything in this world would dictate that there would be a creator (God). Jesus Christ is his Son and the only way to a life eternal.
God is all-powerful, all-knowing, and perfect according to creationists. That isn't a complex being? You can't apply the rule of creation to the universe and not apply it to your God. You're speaking absolutely with an exception.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:38 PM

661 posts, read 1,184,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzy View Post
Religion will not do. It is a relationship with Jesus Christ that will get you there. You will find everything you need to know in the "Bible". Man can really do you no good since he is always trying to change God and Jesus.

jazzynazzy53@yahoo.com
The Bible 'CHANGES' God from the Old testament to the New. Somewhere in the 500 years or so between the two, Yahweh had a personality transplant. Of course, the Bible was written by men.....so your argument is probably true.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:59 PM

There was no change in God at all. It was required in the OT that there be faith for salvation. Its all in there. Everything in the OT pointed to Christ.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:30 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:

Just a thought.

Since you're so uncomfortable with the likes of atheists and those lesser others who are not christian, perhaps you might prefer spending your time in the Christian sub-folder.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
There was no change in God at all. It was required in the OT that there be faith for salvation. Its all in there. Everything in the OT pointed to Christ.
So God still approves of the genocide of any nation that does not worship Him as the Christian God? In that case why are there missionaries in places like China? They dont need converting, they need nuking, according to the God of the OT.

God also approves of the mass slaughter of animals to appease Him.

He approves of slavery too.

He approves of polygamy.

He shows favor to those in prominent positions, such as King David, who, if he had been an ordinary Israelite, would have been put to death for adultery and murder, no matter how 'repentant he was.

As in the case of the nations in Canaan and King David, He kills babies for the sins of their fathers.

He approves of the death penalty for the slightest of sins against Him (e.g. gathering wood on the Sabbath)

He approves of lying to further his purposes. (Jacob and the birthright)

He makes female rape victims marry their attackers! (Deut 22:28,29)

The list goes on.....

These are the 'morals' of the OT God who does not change?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:47 AM

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
So God still approves of the genocide of any nation that does not worship Him as the Christian God? In that case why are there missionaries in places like China? They dont need converting, they need nuking, according to the God of the OT.

God also approves of the mass slaughter of animals to appease Him.

He approves of slavery too.

He approves of polygamy.

He shows favor to those in prominent positions, such as King David, who, if he had been an ordinary Israelite, would have been put to death for adultery and murder, no matter how 'repentant he was.

As in the case of the nations in Canaan and King David, He kills babies for the sins of their fathers.

He approves of the death penalty for the slightest of sins against Him (e.g. gathering wood on the Sabbath)

He approves of lying to further his purposes. (Jacob and the birthright)

He makes female rape victims marry their attackers! (Deut 22:28,29)

The list goes on.....

These are the 'morals' of the OT God who does not change?
You really missed out on sunday school didn't ya.
Well first of all God never approved of polygamy he only suffered it.
God also has performed the final sacrifice and if it wasn't for Christ then yes there would still be the need for us, not him, to have sacrifices...they were all pointing to the final sacrifice.
God didn't change from day one till now. What changed was his embassy on earth. First was strict punishment as a way to deter people from sin. Second establishing a people that represented him. To do this and put them into a land that he chose people had to move out of the way. They didn't have to fight against Gods people. They should have prayed and figured it out. If you read the transcripts , it is recorded that the hebrews were called the people of God and that God had done mighty miracles and gave great favor to this people. So why stand against them? it was demonically induced delusion to think they could win. As it is today with hardened individuals who think they will overcome God and his embassy eventually. You ought to see who you are fighting and surrender. Because yes the same God that is now in this dispensation of grace, reaching a hand to the chinese and others will also be the same God that refuses those that refuse him. The Angels you count on to help you through your trial and car accidents etc...is the same angels that carry mens souls to Hell.
He never killed babies for the sins of their fathers. And baby killing is in my opinon a possible act of mercy. Babies go to heaven.
David was shown the same criticism that we are all are shown. There are many who were forgiven in the ot dispensation. You just dont read about them do you. It takes more faith to trust in the justice of God than it does to condemn him.
People are still killed for doing stupid stuff. All the time. IN the New Testament Ananias and Sapphira died for lying to God. Acts 3 or 4.
That hasn't changed. I have seen God kill some folks in my short time for messing with his anointed.
You probably have too.
He is merciful to whom he will be merciful and he shows judgement on whom he will judge.
The proud are brought low. The humble he draws near too. If King David had a evil heart of pride about his sin, and we are all sinners, then God would have brought him down, but Davids heart was contrite. Especially once the Prophet Nathan was sent, by God, to rebuke King David and depending on him attittude punish him. King David repented. Shows the power of repentance. You know you could learn alot by reading the bible. It does not show a unfair, unbalanced God. But a God who has a eye for people who are sincere seekers, contrite believers, repentent listeners. He will lift up the humble while those that are lifted up with themselves will be brought down.

Gotta take kids to school. Be back later.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
You really missed out on sunday school didn't ya
Not as much as you it seems.

God does approve of animal slaughter. It was a pleasing aroma to Him, doesnt matter whether Christs sacrifice negated the necessity for them, the old temple courtyard was positively swimming in animal blood to appease him and He loved it. If he doesnt change..He must miss that smell of blood and flesh.

Davids son by Bath Sheba died as part of the punishment for his sin, when David should have. The Israelite law gave the death penalty for murder and David had Bath Shebas husband murdered. The ordinary Israelite man in the street would not have been able to plead repentance. It didnt matter how sorry they were, it was the law. Gods dealings with David show him up as being able to break his own laws for his favourites.

What about the other incident with David when he took a census without Gods permission?

Yahweh spoke to Gad, David's seer, saying, Go and speak to David, saying, Thus says Yahweh, I offer you three things: choose you one of them, that I may do it to you. So Gad came to David, and said to him, Thus says Yahweh, Take which you will: either three years of famine; or three months to be consumed before your foes, while the sword of your enemies overtakes you; or else three days the sword of Yahweh, even pestilence in the land, and the angel of Yahweh destroying throughout all the borders of Israel. Now therefore consider what answer I shall return to him who sent me. David said to Gad, I am in a great strait: let me fall, I pray, into the hand of Yahweh; for very great are his mercies: and let me not fall into the hand of man. So Yahweh sent a pestilence on Israel; and there fell of Israel seventy thousand men. (1 Chronicles 21:9-14 WEB)

So God gives David 3 choices and the coward chose to let God strike down 70,000 Israelites! Davids sin cost the lives of 70,000 people! For taking an illegal census! I only have to read 1 Chron 21 to convince me of the completely warped idea of justice God has. And that he punishes innocents for the sins of others.

And what about the Canaanite babies, and the unborn in the wombs of the Canaanite women... shows how much God values the life of the unborn. They were innocent victims of genocide. Even if their city chiefs refused to yield to the Israelites, they were not at fault.

I was going to reply point by point, even though you left out some of my points but then I read this:

Quote:
And baby killing is in my opinon a possible act of mercy. Babies go to heaven.
I am staggered at that statement. I think I can grasp some of the mindset that is at work here, and it is so scary. I am finished trying to converse with a mindset which produces statements like that.

One last point...

Quote:
You know you could learn alot by reading the bible.
I have read it. I was deeply religious for 40 years and posts like the above only reinforce my conviction that I am much, much better off without it.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:51 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
dirtrash wrote:
Quote:

I think that all of these topics are philosophical in nature whether they're religious or atheist and I think we've had some pretty good discussions from time to time. By the way, that's a very unusual name-dirtrash, I hope that's not how you see yourself. What made you think of it if you don't mind my asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality