Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:17 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Hmm..this must be a thorny one... No Catholics or Protestants showing up to say why its Ok to kill each other.

This just reinforces my thoughts about religion.
if an atheist showed up at your door and was taking your child away what would you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 11:06 PM

140 posts, read 290,523 times
Default One tribe One planet One place One hope

Quote:
In many wars, even recent ones, Catholics have killed Catholics, Protestants have killed Protestants. As an example, take the Falklands war in the early 1980's. Britain was not in danger. Nor were the people who inhabited the Falkland Islands. They were taken over and claimed by Argentina, a principally Catholic country. At once there was outrage and a wave of Nationalism engulfed the British Isles. They set out to 'rescue' the Islands and a war ensued.

I mention this war because the few people on the Falklands were not being put to death. It was not a life or death situation, in which a person would fight to protect a life that was being threatened. And yet, British Catholic and Protestant troops went and killed Argentinian Catholics and maybe a few Protestants.

My question is, What should come first, God or Country, and is it morally right to kill others of the same faith if they are coming to fight against your country?
That we truly understand we are one
No hate united focussed connected

Old 01-29-2008, 11:16 PM

140 posts, read 290,523 times
Default I am called Stuart---Food for thought?

I believe in my friends my family and the innate goodness of man.
It is my hope We can all come to the same place. Wherein logic, belief, reason and faith combine. Why not? For the sake of us, the future of us, and the future of our children ad infinitum? And as for this conscious, innate connection with the infinite? Our home, our challenge, our salvation?
What is man if not an animal raised up, made powerful, that strives to connect with the mind of God?
cheers Stu

Old 01-30-2008, 12:36 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
Quote:
In many wars, even recent ones, Catholics have killed Catholics, Protestants have killed Protestants. As an example, take the Falklands war in the early 1980's. Britain was not in danger. Nor were the people who inhabited the Falkland Islands. They were taken over and claimed by Argentina, a principally Catholic country. At once there was outrage and a wave of Nationalism engulfed the British Isles. They set out to 'rescue' the Islands and a war ensued.

I mention this war because the few people on the Falklands were not being put to death. It was not a life or death situation, in which a person would fight to protect a life that was being threatened. And yet, British Catholic and Protestant troops went and killed Argentinian Catholics and maybe a few Protestants.

My question is, What should come first, God or Country, and is it morally right to kill others of the same faith if they are coming to fight against your country?
God, which is why most Quakers will not recite the Pledge of Allegiance... Quakers pledge allegiance only to God.

And it's not morally right to kill. We sometimes feel the need to do so out of protection, but out of strategy or vengence is rarely wise.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:31 AM

661 posts, read 1,183,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
if an atheist showed up at your door and was taking your child away what would you do.
We are not talking about Atheists. Atheists dont have a creed. The only thing they have in common is a disbelief in God. We are talking about faiths which are supposed to be based on the Bible, love for God and fellowman. Thats the whole point of it, isnt it? People who belong to these faiths are always talking on here about their higher standards, their higher morals than those of atheists.

I would very much hope that a Catholic or a Protestant, with their superior morals, would never try to take your child away!

So, I ask again, how can a Catholic kill another Catholic and still believe he has acted in harmony with his belief? Or that he will find favour with God? Are there any circumstances in which its right to kill your brother in the faith?

Old 02-01-2008, 12:01 PM

Moderator cut: ToS Violation

I did hear of a story about the inquisition in which the Catholics sent soldiers to destroy a town in France where there were Hugenots or some Protestant group and the scouts came back and reported that there were both Protestants and Catholics living in the town. He asked what they should do. The leader, whether a clergyman or a soldier, I do not know said, 'Kill them all, God will know which are His own.'

Maybe that could be a legitimate reason? I mean why would you not want someone to kill you if it meant that you would go straight to heaven to be with God? No more worrying whether you would find favour with him by the end of your life, and as you did not commit suicide and died because of your faith, surely extra kudos in heaven for you?

Last edited by Alpha8207; 02-01-2008 at 02:36 PM..

Old 02-01-2008, 02:38 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
I have to agree with cg81 that we do indeed follow God's law first.

But I'm not opposed to serving the country the Lord's blessed you with. It seems you are particular interested in this from a more extreme view, Ringwielder, at least by your post above.

Is that accurate?

Old 02-01-2008, 03:22 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
Quote:
Britain was not in danger. Nor were the people who inhabited the Falkland Islands. They were taken over and claimed by Argentina, a principally Catholic country. At once there was outrage and a wave of Nationalism engulfed the British Isles. They set out to 'rescue' the Islands and a war ensued.

It seems as though your assessment of the situation is a bit skewed..

Argentina was under a military dictatorship. The government had killed thousands or ordinary citizens for their opposition. That era has since been termed a genocide by Argentinian courts! To somehow say that peacful loving Argentina wouldn't do anything do the citizens on the Falkland islands is misguided at best. Furthermore, Argentina invaded the Falklands. They started the whole thing.

The Argentine military arrived on the island with detailed files on many of the islanders.. I wonder why.. was it because of their opposition to Argentina which might lead to another genocide?

My point is Argentina took over on April 4. On June 14 Argentina surrenders.

No too long for them to do what they did to their own citizens.. Who knows what would have happened if the British did nothing.

Back to the OT..

Yes it is morally right if what they are doing is wrong..

Don't you think there were a few Catholics or Protestants on the German side during WWII?

Old 02-01-2008, 03:28 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
But I'm not opposed to serving the country the Lord's blessed you with.
Just for discussion, not for argument..

But.. what country has the Lord blessed me with? Is it the country I am born in? Let's say as a Christian I lived in Iraq, would I have been obligated to fight on the Iraqi side?

Old 02-02-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
It seems as though your assessment of the situation is a bit skewed..

Argentina was under a military dictatorship. The government had killed thousands or ordinary citizens for their opposition. That era has since been termed a genocide by Argentinian courts! To somehow say that peacful loving Argentina wouldn't do anything do the citizens on the Falkland islands is misguided at best. Furthermore, Argentina invaded the Falklands. They started the whole thing.

The Argentine military arrived on the island with detailed files on many of the islanders.. I wonder why.. was it because of their opposition to Argentina which might lead to another genocide?

My point is Argentina took over on April 4. On June 14 Argentina surrenders.

No too long for them to do what they did to their own citizens.. Who knows what would have happened if the British did nothing.

Back to the OT..

Yes it is morally right if what they are doing is wrong..

Don't you think there were a few Catholics or Protestants on the German side during WWII?
If my example is flawed, then I apologize. I wonder whose side God came down on, with all those prayers going up to him from both sides. Argentina would probably say He was on their side as He works in mysterious ways and sometimes does not give you what you ask for to teach you humility and Britain would say He was on their side because He gave them victory.

Your last sentence though...A FEW Catholics and Protestants? There were hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions for all I know. If the Pope had issued an edict for Catholics not to fight, would there have been a World War? If the Protestants refused to fight what then? The Jehovah's Witnesses were only a few thousand strong, yet their refusal to fight made them an uncomfortable thorn in the Nazi's side.

All I am trying to say is that if every Catholic and every Protestant held true to the teachings of Christ, been a true Christian, then would they, could they, fight against their brothers in the faith, from other lands??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality