Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 11:33 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Since most criminal behavior is liberal in practice ,may be the law should read that only conservatives , so long as one conducts them self as a conservative, are allowed to bear arms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
What thread did you think you were posting in? Or for that matter, what dimension?
arleigh, I gotta echo Albert here.

When you post in the Nature forum - we appear to share the same reality.

When you post in R&S or Christianity - you're in another dimension that I'm fairly certain most of us do not share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 04:01 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Still not sure how much Christians are persecuting Christians or was the employer not a Christian?

Why should anyone be harrassed in their workplace? Why should Christians be except from laws, rules and their employers orders?
I'm glad you asked. I just had a look at the OP and jeff was of course right over the top.

I don't know what was being 'shared' in the workplace, but the only accommodation that could be worked out is for the Christian to keep it to himself (or herself). If (as Jeff suggested) the person was just got rid of without a chance of accommodation, then that is something that can be addressed. In fact put right in that case.

That there seems to have been no protest (apart from screaming about the Gay Agenda on the forum) suggests that the Christian refused to shut up because God wanted him to preach about how sinful being gay was.

I have little doubt that the problem is with Christians of a certain type (in fact I don't think they are even representative any more, even though they are vociferous, well -funded and experienced in publicity stunting (1) see it as an abrogation of their Right to tell the rest of the country how they should live.

As I said before - time to adjust to the coming change.

(1) see the recent test cases on the cake -baking, the county clerk and the prayer board..must check up to see how that is going. And indeed the Muslim convert who would not serve alcohol having to find another job. Jeff's screaming protest on her behalf...jeff? Anyone seen jeff?

Old 09-19-2015, 04:52 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
In other words, sharing your faith = pestering so Christians should not do it.
Exactly. Unless somebody expresses interest in learning more about "your faith" then keep "your faith" to yourself. Religion -- or lack of same -- is a very personal matter, and your co-workers are not a captive audience for harassment by religious nuts.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Exactly. Unless somebody expresses interest in learning more about "your faith" then keep "your faith" to yourself. Religion -- or lack of same -- is a very personal matter, and your co-workers are not a captive audience for harassment by religious nuts.
And this is exactly why such restrictions exists: because some people are incapable of respecting boundaries unless they are compelled by an external force.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:02 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Atheists and non-religious folk are often quite vocal about their religious views. Yet, I rarely see anyone criticizing them for spouting off in public. If they were having a discussion, this man had as much right as anyone to voice his views.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:06 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Atheists and non-religious folk are often quite vocal about their religious views. Yet, I rarely see anyone criticizing them for spouting off in public. If they were having a discussion, this man had as much right as anyone to voice his views.
Considering the fact that other employees reported that he was making them uncomfortable, I seriously doubt it was a conversation that got him in trouble. Once his boss told him to stop, he should have stopped while on the clock.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:09 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
You tangent is biased. "atheists in public" Where? All I've seen "in public" are Christians on the street corners shouting with megaphones. Atheists annoying anyone at work are always criticized by the religious and fired at their leisure.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:09 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
When he specifically says that he tells everyone he meets about Jesus, I have to doubt that any athiests initiated a discussion on religion.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:28 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
And an aethist doing that at the work place after being told to stop should be fired just as this Christian was. What they do on the street corner is an unrelated story. Some people have dogs that bark and annoy their neighbors doesn't mean that this guy gets to annoy his coworkers.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:03 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,419 times
Quote:
There is a difference between "in public" and "at work". This man specifically said he shares with everyone he meets, and he wouldn't stop, even though it was making people uncomfortable. If they are having a religious discussion, then yes, he has every right. They weren't having a religious dicussion though, were they?

If an atheist was doing the same thing, they should be fired just the same.

Are you okay with getting harassed all day by atheists? I realize you are a preacher, so you wouldn't know about being around people of differing faiths, but try to imagine. Would you be fine with them telling you how wrong and small kinded you are every day? Somehow I don't think you would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality