Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 09:03 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,385,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Yeah. I'm still waiting to find out which countries were destroyed by homosexuality.
Yes, I would love to know the answer to that question as well! I would also like to know why God says, according to Jeff, that homosexuality destroys nations, but not murder, war, famine, or any other things that are much, much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 09:06 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There are no spiritual truths, only reality has truth.
But khminh is correct, that one can have spiritual experiences, even as an atheist. Do those translate into woo? Of course not.

Mine are very nature driven.

Like this place I went to yesterday. Magical.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:29 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
A very astute observation, and well stated.

Actually when I was an evangelical Christian we were taught that part of raising children was breaking their spirit. It was just that the child's spirit was seen as rebellious and wicked. It was assumed, I guess, that something remained after all this "breaking", namely, a contrite, humble spirit that god (and the parents) could deal with.

This was in stark contrast to the typical view of children and childhood that has evolved in society in recent years, which regards children as a sort of tabula rasa, a blank slate, in a state of innocence, which is at least neutral if not in fact virtuous.

Small wonder, then, that Christians seek to do this with new adult converts or prospective converts as well. It is a byproduct of misdiagnosing the human condition as a state of corruption by sin rather than a state of angst caused by ignorance and unawareness.
Very sad. I believe this is what the Duggars do to their children to force conformity. Behind all those smiling, happy faces is pain.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Well, yea, I mean, isn't homosexuality worse than imprisoning people and murdering people?

The gospel according to Jeffbase, says that gays destroyed countries, while wars, famine, and things like that did not. Makes you wonder what kind of kool aid these people are drinking.
Nah. We don't destroy countries. But if you notice gay couples moving into your neighborhood, the property value will soon rise

Old 09-28-2015, 09:37 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Nah. We don't destroy countries. But if you notice gay couples moving into your neighborhood, the property value will soon rise
A gay couple lives in my development, so I am holding you to that ;-)

Actually they take such good care of their property that it can't but help. I notice they keep to themselves and wait for people to approach THEM which is probably how I would handle their situation. I said hello to one of them when he was watering the lawn the other day and welcomed him to the neighborhood and I could almost see him at least provisionally crossing me off his List of People to Worry About.

The irony is that this guy could probably launch a thread entitled "Gay Man Ostracized for ... Well Being Gay" and somehow that would be Entirely Different than the Christian persecution narrative on offer here, and the OP would object to "condoning" gayness even while demanding that we "condone" HIS beliefs.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:47 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Very sad. I believe this is what the Duggars do to their children to force conformity. Behind all those smiling, happy faces is pain.
That's pretty much the way I was raised. Probably not as bad as the Duggars, but not much better.

I'm basically one generation behind the rest of the country.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:51 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That's pretty much the way I was raised. Probably not as bad as the Duggars, but not much better.

Judging by your posts, Freak, the didn't succeed in breaking your spirit.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

My parents dragged me to a horrible Indep. Baptist church when I was very young, but they weren't all that extreme in how they raised me. I remember them fighting about that church when I was about 10 year old, and then we had to go through finding a new church. They settled on American Baptist, which is the most liberal of the Baptists. So I lucked out there

Old 09-28-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
A gay couple lives in my development, so I am holding you to that ;-)

Actually they take such good care of their property that it can't but help. I notice they keep to themselves and wait for people to approach THEM which is probably how I would handle their situation. I said hello to one of them when he was watering the lawn the other day and welcomed him to the neighborhood and I could almost see him at least provisionally crossing me off his List of People to Worry About.

The irony is that this guy could probably launch a thread entitled "Gay Man Ostracized for ... Well Being Gay" and somehow that would be Entirely Different than the Christian persecution narrative on offer here, and the OP would object to "condoning" gayness even while demanding that we "condone" HIS beliefs.
I do try to set the horticultural tone for my block

Since we have kids, we can't keep to ourselves. But where we live, nobody has issues with gay couples, and there are other gay couples in our neighborhood, many with kids as well. But when we lived in a conservative area of California, our neighbors wouldn't openly acknowledge us as a couple. And a couple different neighbors made sure we understood they didn't approve of us being there. That's why I refused to have children there. I didn't want my kids subjected to that sort of thing. To my knowledge, they've never had any issues for having two dads.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:54 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I cannot fully support this.

Words matter. Do I care if they hurt you? No, not in the least.

Do I care if they incite violence? You bet! And the problem is that some are inclined to use words to incite violence against others. That speech needs to be shut down.

However, many take it too far, and label everything 'hate speech'.
There used to be a time when it was a person's actions that mattered not their words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality