Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 01:25 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
On the other hand, he offers you forgiveness and an eternity in heaven with him if you repent and accept his gift of forgiveness.

If he was a loving God why would he not just let you be dead if you did not repent and accept his gift of forgiveness? Does not sound like one has a real choice, do it my way or be tortured for eternity. Apparently one will not be alone in hell as the majority of people who have ever lived were not Christians. Eusebius's God seems less mean spirited. No more believable but not as cruel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 01:29 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
If he was a loving God why would he not just let you be dead if you did not repent and accept his gift of forgiveness? Does not sound like one has a real choice, do it my way or be tortured for eternity. Apparently one will not be alone in hell as the majority of people who have ever lived were not Christians. Eusebius's God seems less mean spirited. No more believable but not as cruel.
Because he's an infinite God. He's existed for eternity, and he will exist for eternity. Why would he give a temporal punishment for an offense that is against an eternal being?

Old 09-24-2015, 01:37 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Ladies and germs, this is what fundamentalism does to a person's brain.
Hmmm, now he is talking to germs. Do you always talk to germs?

Old 09-24-2015, 01:37 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If I went to incredible efforts to create thousands of species of life and especially human beings, giving them everything they could possibly need or want, yet they turn their backs on me to such a level of destroying my other precious creations, yea I would be pretty ticked off.

God is not petty. He just hates sin because it destroys and puts up a wall between man and Him. God is so righteous that He simply can not coexist with sin. It's not possible. Since God made you with His intelligence being infinitely greater than ours, how can it be that your limited human brain could find a more moral solution to the problem of sin than God? If your sense of morality comes from God then how can you be more moral than Him? That's like saying the water draw from the well into a bucket is more pure than the water in the well.
What is "incredible" about his efforts? If he is truly as powerful as you say he is, couldn't he have just thought it and made it so? He didn't actually have to work for it, he just poofed us into existence. The fact that you think a god would think of things in human terms proves your logic is off Jeff. Why would a god even need to get mad? If he doesn't like something he could just end it and start over. No muss, no fuss. Again, why would a god even think like this? A true god would not hate or get angry. These are human characteristics.

He can't coexist with sin? So he doesn't exist is what you are saying. People sin every single day, so therefore, he can't exist. That is from your mouth (or computer?). My morality does not come from your god. I don't need his book to tell me how to live my life. I live by a simple rule: don't hurt anyone/anything, help those in need, and just generally be a good person.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Oh there's is plenty of evidence if one is open to it. Why are you even debating the characteristics of someone who you believe is fiction? I don't ponder where Zeus is moral or not.

Your actions can sometimes cause pain without even knowing it. Gossip for example. So gossip is immoral, right?
There is plenty of evidence for just about anything if you are "open to it". What does that prove? I could bring plenty of evidence to the table that your god doesn't exist, but you wouldn't be open to it... That isn't some kind of gotcha like you seem to think it is.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:42 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
Because he's an infinite God. He's existed for eternity, and he will exist for eternity. Why would he give a temporal punishment for an offense that is against an eternal being?
Why should he give any punishment at all? Everything that happens is exactly as He wanted it to be. There is nothing that happens that is not within his will. He is getting angry with his Legos for being what he made them...

-NoCapo

Old 09-24-2015, 01:43 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
How do you know your god "went to incredible efforts" creating stuff? If he's the omni-everything dude you folks claim, he could poof the whole works into place with a "Shazam!" and a godly wave of his godly hand.

And if he was displeased with his creation, he could have Shazamed it back into oblivion with a godly wave of his godly hand.

And then he could have Shazamed another batch of life and see if this one turned out any better.

But NOOOOOOOOOOO! He's gotta slaughter everybody because he's prone to hissy fits and gets his godly panties in a godly bunch.

He's a cartoon buffoon and barbarian.

No wonder you worship him.
Here's what I don't get. Let's say you are right ,and God really is sadistic. What have you proven? That doesn't prove that there is no God. And if the choice is scrubbing the toilets of heaven to appease a mean God versus burning forever in hell, I will gladly take the toliets, yes sir.

Of course, God is not like that. If He wanted drones to worship Him, we would all be identical. Instead, every human is an individual creation with unique personality, gifts and talents.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
On the other hand, he offers you forgiveness and an eternity in heaven with him if you repent and accept his gift of forgiveness.
Oh yay!!! Eternity with my tormentor!!! (If he were real) Why would I want to spend eternity with a being like the God you describe. It would just be kissing his feet and praising him all the time. No thanks.

I much prefer this:

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but...will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

God as you, and other Christians, describe, would fall under the unjust category.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:49 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Oh yay!!! Eternity with my tormentor!!! (If he were real) Why would I want to spend eternity with a being like the God you describe. It would just be kissing his feet and praising him all the time. No thanks.

I much prefer this:

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but...will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

God as you, and other Christians, describe, would fall under the unjust category.
Your choice.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Why should he give any punishment at all? Everything that happens is exactly as He wanted it to be. There is nothing that happens that is not within his will. He is getting angry with his Legos for being what he made them...

-NoCapo
Because humans invented him, and humans like punishing people. Helps control the masses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality