Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 01:51 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Your choice.
If your god is so petty that he would send me to hell for the sole reason of not believing in him, then I will gladly skip heaven. I don't want to spend eternity with a tyrannical, homicidal, dictator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 01:53 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
If your god is so petty that he would send me to hell for the sole reason of not believing in him, then I will gladly skip heaven. I don't want to spend eternity with a tyrannical, homicidal, dictator.
Funny...but I've not made that statement. People don't go to hell for unbelief. They go to hell for sinning against God.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Funny...but I've not made that statement. People don't go to hell for unbelief. They go to hell for sinning against God.
Than according to that statement, I should be fine. If my little sins such as telling white lies, and thinking bad thoughts periodically are enough to send me to hell, then so be it. All my friends and family will be there anyways! Face it, your god would have no GOOD reason to send me to hell. On the other hand, if god is as you say he is, then I don't particularly want to spend eternity with him either.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:59 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
What is "incredible" about his efforts? If he is truly as powerful as you say he is, couldn't he have just thought it and made it so? He didn't actually have to work for it, he just poofed us into existence. The fact that you think a god would think of things in human terms proves your logic is off Jeff. Why would a god even need to get mad? If he doesn't like something he could just end it and start over. No muss, no fuss. Again, why would a god even think like this? A true god would not hate or get angry. These are human characteristics.
Well maybe I am wrong. Maybe he did poof it all into existence. We are trying to reason things beyond our own understanding. In my mind, it would require a lot of mental effort to design the blue prints for thousands of species, many of which we are still discovering after all this time on earth.

Why can't God get mad? Just like He can feel love for mankind so much that He took a part of his being and became flesh and was tortured extremely.

Quote:

He can't coexist with sin? So he doesn't exist is what you are saying. People sin every single day, so therefore, he can't exist. That is from your mouth (or computer?). My morality does not come from your god. I don't need his book to tell me how to live my life. I live by a simple rule: don't hurt anyone/anything, help those in need, and just generally be a good person.
When I say co-exist, I mean exist in the same realm. This is why sinners who have not been renewed through Jesus Christ can not enter the kingdom of heaven. Your simple morality rule fails the moment you run into a pathway where each choice can cause harm.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:00 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Than according to that statement, I should be fine. If my little sins such as telling white lies, and thinking bad thoughts periodically are enough to send me to hell, then so be it. All my friends and family will be there anyways! Face it, your god would have no GOOD reason to send me to hell. On the other hand, if god is as you say he is, then I don't particularly want to spend eternity with him either.
Your choice.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:02 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Because he's an infinite God. He's existed for eternity, and he will exist for eternity. Why would he give a temporal punishment for an offense that is against an eternal being?

That is just a rational for an eternal punishment. Just because he is eternal does not mean that all punishments must be does it?

And if one does not believe in him they would not repend to him and you stated both that if you do not repent you will be punished for eternity but that he does not punish you for not believing. Once again religion is so confusing.

There cannot be a heaven if my dogs are not there and I know one of them would not repent and the little pot licker has lots she should repent for. Oh I forgot animals do not think only act on instinct (according to some Christians others say that dogs do go to heaven. It is so cut and dry what the rules are).

Old 09-24-2015, 02:07 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Which would be pretty dumb as you are faced with two possible alternatives, neither are pleasant:

1. Eternity in a literal hell - darkness, being alone, burning torment to the level of gnashing your teeth.

2. Eternal annihilation - eternal death means you are wiped out from existence, never to return.

If I thought there was even a tiny fraction of a chance that the Bible could be true, I would be out there interviewing pastors, researching healings, doing everything I can to find out for sure that it all bunk and there is no life after death. I would probably start with spending the night in abandoned sanitariums or cementaries to prove that there are no spirits or supernatural.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Which would be pretty dumb as you are faced with two possible alternatives, neither are pleasant:

1. Eternity in a literal hell - darkness, being alone, burning torment to the level of gnashing your teeth.

2. Eternal annihilation - eternal death means you are wiped out from existence, never to return.

If I thought there was even a tiny fraction of a chance that the Bible could be true, I would be out there interviewing pastors, researching healings, doing everything I can to find out for sure that it all bunk and there is no life after death. I would probably start with spending the night in abandoned sanitariums or cementaries to prove that there are no spirits or supernatural.
Pascal's Wager. I don't do things based on what could possibly be true. I also don't think your god, if he were real, would like you believing simply because the thought of not believing is scary. That really means that you don't believe. You just claim to out of fear.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:23 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

Alternative 2 sounds like what will happen to all of us. That is what I thought when I was young and is what I think now that I am closer to being an old man. Not looking forward to being dead but not afraid either. In the meantime I will just continuing to live a life of being as good a person as I can.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Alternative 2 sounds like what will happen to all of us. That is what I thought when I was young and is what I think now that I am closer to being an old man. Not looking forward to being dead but not afraid either. In the meantime I will just continuing to live a life of being as good a person as I can.
As far as I can tell, being dead will be no different than before we were born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality