Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 11:44 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,976,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
This is false. Most people would be wandering around feeling their void and desperately trying to fill that void. ...

And yet every day, someone finds the answer, that giving your life to Christ fills that void. And they immediately become transformed, immediately, not through years of brainwashing.

And yet it requires even more faith to believe that we came from inorganic goop by random chance. It's not something we can observe in real time.
Your first statement is not quite true. Most people do not wonder around but many people do. I'll give you credit on this one.

On your second statement I will give you another credit.

On your third statement, not so much. You see, no faith is required and no believing is required but understanding is required and many people fall off the edges on that point. So I'll give you half a credit for that one.

However, denying that brainwashing is not a major cause of religious fervor is wrong. I give you a minus for that one. Brainwashing is what makes many people fundamentalists and I hate to say this but I am not overly fond of fundamentalism. That's part of what makes the bible barbaric.

I should point out that I have have a fair exposure to Christian fundamentalism.

Please don't take my comments as an attack on you. That is not my intention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Yes that just perfectly explains why atheists feel the need to just relentlessly attack Christians exclusively online and almost always with venomous attacks.
We do?

Old 10-04-2015, 12:07 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Yes that just perfectly explains why atheists feel the need to just relentlessly attack Christians exclusively online and almost always with venomous attacks. Don't you have better things to do in life?
We don't hate your ridiculous god any more than we hate the easter bunny, because we don't believe in it. What we hate is the way so many people who do believe in it conduct themselves. That's been explained to you about eleventy-billion times, but you're just not capable of accepting it because you don't have the courage or the intellectual honesty to admit that there could possibly be any flaw at all in the way you people act.

We don't hate god, Jeff. We hate religion. And I'm afraid there's no gentle way to put this, but people like you are the reason for that. You drive people further away from christianity every time you post. Sorry, but it is what it is.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 10-04-2015 at 12:21 AM..

Old 10-04-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
We don't hate your ridiculous god any more than we hate the easter bunny, because we don't believe in it. What we hate is the way so many people who do believe in it conduct themselves. That's been explained to you about eleventy-billion times, but you're just not capable of accepting it because you don't have the courage or the intellectual honesty to admit that there could possibly be any flaw at all in the way you people act.
This.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:22 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
This.
Scares the hell out of me. I don't sleep the whole week before easter, wondering if this is the night he's going to come down the chimney and hide under my pillow waiting for me so he can yank all my teeth out.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:19 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
We don't hate your cartoon godling.

We hate the knobs who think they know his/her/its mind and want to dictate how others live, based on what they believe their cartoon god wants.
You seem to have no problem dictating how you think people should live. I don't want to live in your world where mockery and insulting is celebrated.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:29 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post

We don't hate god, Jeff. We hate religion. And I'm afraid there's no gentle way to put this, but people like you are the reason for that. You drive people further away from christianity every time you post. Sorry, but it is what it is.

This is a baseless claim, just meant to be a slap in my face. A forum like this isn't going to drive people towards Christ. Most of the posts here serve to tear down people's faith. Be honest, has a single post from Mystic or the other liberal Christians made you want to seek God and go to church?

I can easily read behind the lines like how you feel the need to call God "ridiculous" but you don't say ridiculous easter bunny. Yea bad things have been done in the name of religion. And many many worse things have been done in the name of a Godless society. And yea many many good things are done in the name of religion too. Sad that you remain blind to see that.

This is a dark world full of many levels of pain out there. We don't need people putting down each other. We need them reaching in love and helping each other just like God intended. If you call that evil then your viewpoint is completely backwards.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:35 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
You seem to have no problem dictating how you think people should live. I don't want to live in your world where mockery and insulting is celebrated.
I doubt they want to live in that world either. The anger and discontent is easily read in their posts. They are in the "searching" mode that many go through and whether they find God or not, none of us can predict at this time.

jeffbase40, I am guessing that you can imagine, just as I can, what your life would be without knowing God. We can have that thought, what it would be like, and quickly let it go yet in their reality, they cannot.

All of this "The Bible--barbaric", it is simply a path used to justify sin: Gospel Answers - Homosexuality Today: The Art of Justifying Sin But, you already know that.

I cannot imagine living a life so consumed by trying to justify my sin, either in twisting the words of the Bible or denying God in a feeble attempt to fill the "emptiness". It must be all consuming.

I would have to admit that I don't understand where they come from since God has always been with me. I am NEVER alone.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:42 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,381,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Prove it.

Nope, not my job, I just put out what I see, it is up to you to accept or reject it.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:48 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,381,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
His whole life? I can't recall reading anything much about him other than about the last 2 to 3 years of his life.
What "bearing of the cross" was he doing for the other 30 or so years?
does that matter? before Jesus started on his ministry the Father at his baptism said this is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased. Obviously Jesus must have done something up until his baptism for the Father to say that.

bearing the cross is nothing more then learning to choses the good over the evil and the denying of our own ego. Which in part is placing other before ourselves.

Everyone carries a cross their whole life, some realise it is a cross, other don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality