Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 03:07 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times

Advertisements

I think many of us have had that question from co-workers or friends. Are you Mormon? Ive had it professionally and personally. From not drinking to family discussions, those are the usual culprits, but often times LDS folks just operate a little differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 04:05 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
OK, people. Let's get this thread back on topic.

Some things the topic is not: FLDS, ghosts, shunning, vampires, Elizabeth Smart, or aliens (unless the aliens have the "Mormon Glow").
If the Mormon missionary boys have found a way to get to Mars, and I wouldn't put it past them to have found a way, the aliens would definitely have the "Mormon Glow"

Martians with Mormon glow:

https://d928t5lecmln5.cloudfront.net...and_gohard.jpg

Old 10-08-2015, 01:07 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Thats wonderful, but you are dealing in theories only. I am talking from experience, except for outliers like the FLDS, the LDS church is as open as any other. People come and go, there is no problem or issue with shunning. As I said, no more or less than anyone leaving another church or group. You think when someone leaves a Baptist congregation for another there is not some resentment and distancing by people? Yes there is.
Regarding the extremely low divorce rate among Mormons married in the Temple it is a good thing. The fact that you want to ask the question is fine, but I can tell you from experience it is a good thing. There is no issue, but I do know that the world is heading to a place where bad things are being called good and good things being called bad. We reject that.
As the mod says, lets stick to the topic. The topic is not shunning. Shunning was merely one example of a BAD thing that COULD be behind a seemingly good statistic like the one the OP was actually about.

It is not about me calling a bad thing good, or a good thing bad at all. That is a wanton mis-representation of my position. My position is merely one that recognizes a simple fact, that a statistic offered without context that is seemingly a "good statistic" may in fact hide a lot of bad. There are MANY bad ways to achieve a good statistic.

All I am doing is calling out the assumption that is hidden in the OPs question "So what are the Mormons doing right that the Christians are not?". There is no reason to automatically assume this statistic means they are doing something right. They could be doing something very wrong that produces the occasional nice looking statistic.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:27 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Some of these threads are so silly, they are ridiculous.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:36 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Agree. I can't believe there's actually a thread dedicated to how Mormons "glow."

Old 10-08-2015, 11:17 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
As the mod says, lets stick to the topic. The topic is not shunning. Shunning was merely one example of a BAD thing that COULD be behind a seemingly good statistic like the one the OP was actually about.

It is not about me calling a bad thing good, or a good thing bad at all. That is a wanton mis-representation of my position. My position is merely one that recognizes a simple fact, that a statistic offered without context that is seemingly a "good statistic" may in fact hide a lot of bad. There are MANY bad ways to achieve a good statistic.

All I am doing is calling out the assumption that is hidden in the OPs question "So what are the Mormons doing right that the Christians are not?". There is no reason to automatically assume this statistic means they are doing something right. They could be doing something very wrong that produces the occasional nice looking statistic.

Your comment is statistically incorrect. Any statistical deviation behind a result is abnormal. Mormon divorce statistics are a result of lifestyle and common core values.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:08 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Agree. I can't believe there's actually a thread dedicated to how Mormons "glow."
Lighten up, Guys.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:13 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Your comment is statistically incorrect. Any statistical deviation behind a result is abnormal. Mormon divorce statistics are a result of lifestyle and common core values.
Incorrect and a non-sequitur. Statistical deviation is normal and measurable. It is at the core of statistical evaluation. The idea that not every reason for staying married is a good one is unassailable, with staying in an abusive and negative marriage for the sake of the kids being a preeminent one.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:51 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
I belong to the Flying Spaghetti Monster religion and we have a red sheen from the sauce. It's true. I swear on the holy noodle.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Well, it's not like we're saying they glow in the dark, Freak.

Which would be pretty awesome now that I think of it. Especially on the dark rides at Disneyland. All the more reason to get behind them in line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality