Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:54 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times

Advertisements

So does the 'mormon glow' only apply to the lily white members? There's a lot of pacific islander mormons here in the SLC area, and I've never see one of them glow. Then again I find the entire concept completely ridiculous to begin with. Now the FSM glow, that's where it's at. Noodly appendages reaching out in one's aura...it's life-changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 10:11 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
So does the 'mormon glow' only apply to the lily white members? There's a lot of pacific islander mormons here in the SLC area, and I've never see one of them glow. Then again I find the entire concept completely ridiculous to begin with. Now the FSM glow, that's where it's at. Noodly appendages reaching out in one's aura...it's life-changing.
Actually, you can prove to yourself whether the "Glow" is real or not. Look at this photo and tell us which three girls have the "Mormon Glow"

http://lds.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/byu-girls.jpg

Old 09-23-2015, 05:50 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Actually, you can prove to yourself whether the "Glow" is real or not. Look at this photo and tell us which three girls have the "Mormon Glow"

It's a question of centrefold Looks? So the lucky guess was a hit and if it had been a miss, would have been forgotten? So we could check this phenomenon with a 'horoscope -double -blind' of 100 girls 10 of which were Mormons and see whether the Mormon glow could be picked out.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It's a question of centrefold Looks? So the lucky guess was a hit and if it had been a miss, would have been forgotten? So we could check this phenomenon with a 'horoscope -double -blind' of 100 girls 10 of which were Mormons and see whether the Mormon glow could be picked out.
You could be onto something there, Arequipa.

My guess it's a combination of things.

I once saw an interesting experiment: a three YO unattractive black girl was shown two dolls, a beautiful white Barbie and a black doll. She was asked, "Which one is beautiful?" She pointed to the white Barbie. "Which one is ugly". She pointed to the black one. This one I'm sure you've heard: NBC sent in an overweight, plain girl with excellent qualifications to interview for a job. She was told, "We'll get back to you." They sent in a Victoria's Angel-looking girl with mediocre qualification. She was hired on the spot. This was all on an NBC Nightly Special report.

Children of all stripes are taught from the cradle that to be white, pretty and well-off seems to be the key to attracting lots of attention from guys and a ticket to success in life.

Now cupper and I both chose the same three girls. But beauty is subjective, right? Or is it?

If you examine the photo of the BYU team carefully you will notice that three of the girls' faces have what is called "The Golden Ratio" you can google it, but in a nutshell it means that based on scientists' calculations of geometric proportions for a perfect ratio between forehead, eyes, nose, mouth and chin and facial length and width the ratios of these items any men or women who possess the exact proportions will be defined as beautiful to ugly to a casual observer depending on how closely or how distantly their features deviate from this "golden ratio".

Three of the girls are the closest to the golden ratio than the other five, and that's why cupper and I chose them simply using our instincts and subconscious programming of what we have come to recognize as beauty.

This girl has the golden ratio. Not so coincidentally, she's Mormon:

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/juliannacover1.jpg?w=840

This one doesn't possess the golden ratio. Not surprisingly, she's Christian:

http://static.themetapicture.com/pic/images/2014/08/31/funny-Christian-singles-old-ugly-woman.jpg

This doesn't take into consideration the facts that Mormons are just naturally happier than Christians, have a healthier lifestyle than Christians and smile a lot more than Christians. But the most critical factor is probably the fact that 90% of the Mormons in America are Caucasian and thus more apt to possess the golden ratio. Whites become the beneficiaries of this golden ratio because their faces most closely align to the proportions' geometrics than minorities' faces.

Some will call it nonsense but it has all been scientifically tested and verified by legitimate institutions. The website below will explain it more fully and even let you measure your own photo to see how close you are to the golden ration.

http://www.intmath.com/numbers/math-of-beauty.php

Old 09-23-2015, 05:24 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:

I got all 3 correct ( without peeking ) , but I didn't choose based on any Mormon glow . I simply picked the 3 prettiest and the biggest smiles. 9 and 25 were no brainers, 26 and 27 were close but the smile on 27 seemed more sincere and the upper cheeks on 26 seemed a little out of proportion.

I guess this means Mormons are attractive and happy.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:50 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
If Mormons glow it is because they worked at Three Mile Island.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I got all 3 correct ( without peeking ) , but I didn't choose based on any Mormon glow . I simply picked the 3 prettiest and the biggest smiles. 9 and 25 were no brainers, 26 and 27 were close but the smile on 27 seemed more sincere and the upper cheeks on 26 seemed a little out of proportion.

I guess this means Mormons are attractive and happy.
But what told you, me, and cupper that they were the three prettiest? I mean if beauty is in the eye of the beholder we can't all be seeing beauty the same way, can we? Now I put 9 at the top of the list too, but my choice between 26 and 27 was based on my determination after a close analysis between the two that 27's nose was in better proportion to her face and thus closer to the golden ratio than 26's, whose nose I thought too large and her face too wide and thus out of proportion. But 25 jumped out at me as well because, of all the girls, she seemed to most have this inner glow about her---can't describe it. She just seemed to radiate this inner beauty that I think is being described as the Mormon glow even though she was pretty physically as well. But probabilities tell us that some guys should have found at least one of the others to have made the top three. So perhaps there IS something to this "golden ratio"-thing.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:35 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
But what told you, me, and cupper that they were the three prettiest? I mean if beauty is in the eye of the beholder we can't all be seeing beauty the same way, can we? Now I put 9 at the top of the list too, but my choice between 26 and 27 was based on my determination after a close analysis between the two that 27's nose was in better proportion to her face and thus closer to the golden ratio than 26's, whose nose I thought too large and her face too wide and thus out of proportion. But 25 jumped out at me as well because, of all the girls, she seemed to most have this inner glow about her---can't describe it. She just seemed to radiate this inner beauty that I think is being described as the Mormon glow even though she was pretty physically as well. But probabilities tell us that some guys should have found at least one of the others to have made the top three. So perhaps there IS something to this "golden ratio"-thing.
I think I've read that the more symmetry in a face, the more attractive it is to the opposite sex. That may well coincide with the 'golden ratio'. I too vacillated between 26 and 27, likely for similar reasons as yourself.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I think I've read that the more symmetry in a face, the more attractive it is to the opposite sex. That may well coincide with the 'golden ratio'. I too vacillated between 26 and 27, likely for similar reasons as yourself.
Another of life's great mysteries--why we find these so attractive:

http://cdn04.cdn.justjared.com/wp-co...redible-08.jpg

and these so undesirable:

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...74/691/dc9.jpg

Old 09-24-2015, 10:59 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Another of life's great mysteries--why we find these so attractive:

http://cdn04.cdn.justjared.com/wp-co...redible-08.jpg

and these so undesirable:

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...74/691/dc9.jpg
Every single one of the women in your first link is mormon. I can definitely see the mormon glow on each one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality