Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 08:03 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times

Advertisements

I'm reading a book called Snow Child, and this woman is trying so hard to prove to this other woman that this snow girl exists. She thinks she's crazy. It dawned on me halfway through the reading,"why is she doing this?" Why does she not know that only she and her husband are meant to see this? That the other woman will never see anything but snow?

Why do various religions think what they see is meant for anyone but them? Is there some cultural need to not be alone in experiences, or is it a rather ironic need not to see themselves as crazy or alone. And why does she not stop at her husband whho can clearly see the girl?

Why do religions think they need to share their vision? Wouldn't whatever they saw appear to other people, if they were meant to see it? Or is belief part of seeing certain things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 02:25 PM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Religions are organizations. By definition, such entities need adherents. Many religions are grounded in notions of being universally, inherently the One True Faith, so they expect ALL to "see it" and tend to interpret not seeing it as being somewhere between misled / clueless and obstinate / rebellious.

Some religions on the other hand see themselves as the keepers of their own revelation and are indifferent to or sanguine about coexisting with other revelations. They have more of a "build it and they will come" zeitgeist, or they may be culturally affiliated and only care about being the orthodoxy of a particular race or society or nation.

On top of all that, people who have religious experiences want them to be validated as real and to share them with others as a matter of social reciprocity and human nature. If the snow child or any other religious figure is real, why wouldn't anyone see it? My house is real and everyone who walks past sees it ... not just my wife and I ... even though it is only "meant" for us to live in.

Personal revelation cuts both ways: sure, you're the special one who gets the revelation, but you're also the crazy one who got the revelation when no one else did. It's sort of in the "be careful what you ask for" department.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:47 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
I have seen many things in the spiritual world and some evil and some from the living God , I have seen the eternal light of God and a couple angels who were messenger host angels of God , and I have seen evil demons in the spirit and some right in the natural world , the one in the natural world was about 3 inches high and the one in the spirit was 2 1/2 feet high to ten feet high and fallen angels that looked like a bat some fifteen feet high , with black wings with light black hair ..................... Then if I get a pain in my body night or day , I say a prayer to Jesus and the pain disappears every time , its a miracle ........................ See Christians have miracles , and it is not to admonish the Christian but to give and have a testimony of Lord Jesus Christ, who brought seeing in the spirit for protection and the Glory to God

Old 09-22-2015, 06:40 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
What I can't understand is why such a plethora of visual evidence of the truth of your beliefs are heaped on you while I - who is more in need of such proof than you - doesn't have any such thing revealed to them.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:18 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
It's Your Miracle
Sounds like a TV show title on TBN:

"Get Ready For Your Miracle Today" (for a love seed offering of $1000---cash, checks and credit cards accepted, but cash preferred)

Old 09-22-2015, 01:29 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
What I can't understand is why such a plethora of visual evidence of the truth of your beliefs are heaped on you while I - who is more in need of such proof than you - doesn't have any such thing revealed to them.
Yeah, I feel the same way. When hljc prays for an ache to go away, hljc who needs nothing proved to him, gets it cured---while I, who could use a little evidence that God does indeed answer prayers, gets nothing when I pray for God to remove this kink in my back.

God indeed answers prayers in mysterious ways. And seems to play favorites too.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:58 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
In fact I have had some inexplicable answered prayers - a stroke of luck that enabled me to get the home I needed to obtain a residency visa for Mrs Arq. An incapacitating back -seizure that vanished..just as the doctor rang the doorbell.

And just recently a chronic physical problem I have had for decades ( mind your own business) suddenly began to clear up and is almost gone. Answered prayers..except that I have never ever prayed for any of it.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:42 AM

18,494 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Sounds like a TV show title on TBN:

"Get Ready For Your Miracle Today" (for a love seed offering of $1000---cash, checks and credit cards accepted, but cash preferred)
I agree!

Old 09-23-2015, 12:48 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
In fact I have had some inexplicable answered prayers - a stroke of luck that enabled me to get the home I needed to obtain a residency visa for Mrs Arq. An incapacitating back -seizure that vanished..just as the doctor rang the doorbell.

And just recently a chronic physical problem I have had for decades ( mind your own business) suddenly began to clear up and is almost gone. Answered prayers..except that I have never ever prayed for any of it.
But you have been in my prayers, Arq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality