Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 11:12 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times

Advertisements

Davis and her PR crew, including her lawyers, tried to imply that the meet/greet handshake was a 'private meeting and endorsement' of her position.

We all know now that was not the case, and vastly exaggerated by the Davis clan.

However, the Pope DID have a private audience with a Same Sex Couple. Unlike Davis, he actually talked to them in depth, and they to him.

CNN Exclusive: Pope met privately with gay couple - CNN.com

From the article:

"....it was arranged personally by the Pope via email in the weeks ahead of Francis' highly anticipated visit to the United States. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 11:32 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
It is clear that even Grassi has been disappointed in the Pope's conflicted and often contradictory public statements about gay marriage and homosexuality.

No surprise that Davis and her cronies have made more of the meeting than is warranted, either.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:41 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Well that was a short honeymoon for the fundamentalists. Turns out Ms. Davis didn't get a private audience but the gay couple did. The Pope will no doubt return to being an idol worshiping, non-Christian who doesn't qualify for heaven..... instead of the new hero of the anti-LGBTQ crowd.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:49 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well that was a short honeymoon for the fundamentalists. Turns out Ms. Davis didn't get a private audience but the gay couple did. The Pope will no doubt return to being an idol worshiping, non-Christian who doesn't qualify for heaven..... instead of the new hero of the anti-LGBTQ crowd.
I predict that there will be an obligatory period of denial and making hay from the event and repeating false representations as often as possible until some people at least start to believe them. Sort of like the event in Latin America, Argentina I think, which was a well attended rally of some sort for fundamentalist Christianity generally at which Davis may have gotten passing mention but which her handlers falsely implied and all but claimed was largely about her specifically.

At some point one of two things will happen. Either it will become the stuff of legend or if it is sufficiently discredited it will not be mentioned beyond a certain point and yes the pope will return to his default status of counterfeit Christian. It is strictly a function of whether or not they can keep mining it for faux credibility, combined with how shameless and fact free they are willing to be about it.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:15 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Well, now I am totally confused about what is going on. The one thing I can be sure of is that same -sex marriage is going to become accepted and neither Kim Davis or the Vatican is going to stop that.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Well, now I am totally confused about what is going on. The one thing I can be sure of is that same -sex marriage is going to become accepted and neither Kim Davis or the Vatican is going to stop that.
Agreed.

Although I predict (but alas, will unlikely be alive to witness whether I'm right) that within a couple of generations, the Catholic Church will no longer consider homosexuality a sin and may well sanction SSM.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Agreed.

Although I predict (but alas, will unlikely be alive to witness whether I'm right) that within a couple of generations, the Catholic Church will no longer consider homosexuality a sin and may well sanction SSM.
And will be putting on high profile SS weddings in cathedrals hoping to wipe out the stain and arguing that they were not really against SSM, but reacted badly to all the accusations of bigotry made by Gays - just as they put up a monument to Galilaeo and argued that it was his rudeness to the Pope rather than dogmatic rejection of his theory that led to ..well he wasn't persecuted at all - just told to go home and take a rest.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:44 AM

689 posts, read 494,929 times
Only evil bigots think there is anything wrong in homosexuality and same sex marriage!

Old 10-03-2015, 08:40 AM

Oh I don't know. These are good people, doing what they feel they have to do to save a world sliding towards unblibical values.

They can say so as much as they like, but they are wrong and the world knows they are and is ignoring them. So what they believe doesn't matter. So they are trying to interfere and find ways of blocking what the rest of us have decided that some people can do. Not you, not me and certainly not the ones who don't want to. But those 'Good People' think that they are right in trying to prevent others doing what they want to.

Which is fine, if there is a good convincing reason. There isn't(1) , or there isn't any more. That is why their case has failed in spite of massive initial resistance. and it is why their screaming that their rights are being somehow curtailed by not allowing them to force their views on others is just losing them support.

And the last ditch attempt to scrape a point 'No compromise was offered' is also shown to be without foundation and is just dishonesty.

But these are not bad people. It is religion doing it to them.

(1) the natural fallacy, the Ick factor, dictionary definition of 'marriage', Supposed harm to society or family values, all failed. So the only line they have is the last one 'My religion says this is wrong, and so I have to force those views on everyone else'. That is absolutely what is going on.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:25 AM

689 posts, read 494,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Oh I don't know. These are good people, doing what they feel they have to do to save a world sliding towards unblibical values.

They can say so as much as they like, but they are wrong and the world knows they are and is ignoring them. So what they believe doesn't matter. So they are trying to interfere and find ways of blocking what the rest of us have decided that some people can do. Not you, not me and certainly not the ones who don't want to. But those 'Good People' think that they are right in trying to prevent others doing what they want to.

Which is fine, if there is a good convincing reason. There isn't(1) , or there isn't any more. That is why their case has failed in spite of massive initial resistance. and it is why their screaming that their rights are being somehow curtailed by not allowing them to force their views on others is just losing them support.

And the last ditch attempt to scrape a point 'No compromise was offered' is also shown to be without foundation and is just dishonesty.

But these are not bad people. It is religion doing it to them.

(1) the natural fallacy, the Ick factor, dictionary definition of 'marriage', Supposed harm to society or family values, all failed. So the only line they have is the last one 'My religion says this is wrong, and so I have to force those views on everyone else'. That is absolutely what is going on.

Many of them aren't good people, but rabid extremists!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality