Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 05:01 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

I have heard that there was some kind of validity to this theory. I have heard that even Buddha believed in it, but I can't find a source. And there are the Native American dance rituals. And of course any religious group that prays for rain.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 06:25 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
Thoughts? No.

Feelings? Yes.

We tend to overvalue our brain. Think of the soul, as a person inside a mecha (which is actually my least favorite anime type but whatever). The mecha has a core (the heart), and has a computer (brain). The computer is necessary for the machine to function, but it is actually the thing we use for memory bank, and doing random processes. But the core is the energy source.

Bottom line? If you want to call weather, it might come from your feelings.

I have actually found this the case. A few times I have tried to calk weather, it involved dance and alot of emotional stuff. And a few times weather haa come, when I was feeling sad (rain), lonely (snow), uncertain (heavy wind), or stressed (hot sun). It obeys the season, but I guess it's sorta timing.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:28 AM

689 posts, read 494,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have heard that there was some kind of validity to this theory. I have heard that even Buddha believed in it, but I can't find a source. And there are the Native American dance rituals. And of course any religious group that prays for rain.

What do you think?
When I do my washing and put it out to dry, I can almost guarantee out of a clear blue sky a big, black rain cloud will hover over my garden! If they employed me to do my washing in a drought stricken area of the world they would never have a drought again!

Old 09-27-2015, 08:23 AM

19,957 posts, read 13,450,937 times
No.

Next question?

Old 09-27-2015, 08:33 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
No, but my bones can predict the weather.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:19 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
No, but my bones can predict the weather.
Mine too! <fist bump>

Old 09-27-2015, 05:31 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
I'm not sure how to ask this. It's not just a matter of "religious" people getting together and having a special prayer meeting to try to pray for rain. With the indigenous tribes it seemed like more of the ENTIRE community taking part.

In many ways the native tribes are a lot closer to the truth than an isolated church group. Science today seems to be showing us that all beings are interconnected. Not just humans or mammals, but all of life and even all of creation itself. The entire universe is kind of like a large organism. So it seems that the weather could affect our thoughts, or perhaps even the reverse could occur. The church prayer groups seem to be making a weak attempt to identify this.

So this is almost a science question.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:20 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how to ask this. It's not just a matter of "religious" people getting together and having a special prayer meeting to try to pray for rain. With the indigenous tribes it seemed like more of the ENTIRE community taking part.

In many ways the native tribes are a lot closer to the truth than an isolated church group. Science today seems to be showing us that all beings are interconnected. Not just humans or mammals, but all of life and even all of creation itself. The entire universe is kind of like a large organism. So it seems that the weather could affect our thoughts, or perhaps even the reverse could occur. The church prayer groups seem to be making a weak attempt to identify this.

Science and spirituality intersect and intertwine with each other.

They are not antagonistic. Various camps have made it seem so. But both science and spirituality seek truth - though their paths to their goal appears to some to be at odds. They just speak different languages.

Our understanding of their relationship is in its infancy. But we're getting there.

And the rate of progress in that area will increase significantly when the fundamentalists of various descriptions glub-glub their last as they sink into the tar pits of irrelevance and let the rest of us evolve in peace.

Amen.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:35 AM

19,957 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:

All of us are indeed interrelated in that we participate in intertwined causal chains. We influence each other and the world, clearly. That does not in any way imply that the force of our wills, even collectively, move weather systems around, cause bodies to heal themselves more quickly or where they otherwise wouldn't, etc. That would be little better than Pat Robertson, during his presidential run, musing aloud that if he couldn't pray away a hurricane he would not make a very good president.

In other words, despite the very valid and important acknowledgment that how I conduct myself in the world effects others and the environment, this does not in any way suggest that we should think that consciousness directly influences such things -- unless there is actual evidence that it does so. Despite the understandable human desire to be ABLE to influence events by exerting our individual or collective wills (god please don't let her suffer like this or die oh no oh no please) there have been many studies that demonstrate no appreciable impact of strong will / desire / wishes / prayer on actual outcomes. Within the margin of error, we can conclude that such things don't actually happen. Certainly we can conclude that there are far better strategies than wishful thinking or expressed personal need / desire, for effecting desired outcomes.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:35 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Thoughts? No.

Feelings? Yes.

We tend to overvalue our brain. Think of the soul, as a person inside a mecha (which is actually my least favorite anime type but whatever). The mecha has a core (the heart), and has a computer (brain). The computer is necessary for the machine to function, but it is actually the thing we use for memory bank, and doing random processes. But the core is the energy source.

Bottom line? If you want to call weather, it might come from your feelings.

I have actually found this the case. A few times I have tried to calk weather, it involved dance and alot of emotional stuff. And a few times weather haa come, when I was feeling sad (rain), lonely (snow), uncertain (heavy wind), or stressed (hot sun). It obeys the season, but I guess it's sorta timing.
7 out of 10 on my meter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality