Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 04:16 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
Why do many extreme fundamentalist/Biblical literalists seem so scared of being questioned about their faith?
Humans are in a constant search for internal consistency; when that search results in a conflict with a strongly-held belief (which need not, necessarily be religious in nature) the mind enters a psychologically-uncomfortable state called 'cognitive dissonance', which it tries to resolve to return to an internally-consistent (and mentally comfortable) position.

As a result of those attempts to resolve the situation, the person that is experiencing such a conflict will generally (in a subconscious manner) attempt to avoid, ignore or deny anything that might cause the dissonance to reoccur or grow in intensity.

In someone with extremely strong religious convictions, 'the Bible is inerrant' clashes quite badly with 'but then, how do you explain this clearly-impossible situation', and the outcome is almost always that the person being questioned will avoid answering to maintain the internal consistency of their belief structure.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:15 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Would you gladly take the advice from someone who was excessively rude and disrespectful right out of the gate? I wouldn't.
I would be more forgiving. IF only you came from a religion that was forgiving, instead of one that judges and dismisses them that quickly!

My response to insult is not to run away (like you do) or dismiss them (like you do).

My response is to wait until they are done, then look them in the eye and say "I am still waiting to hear what your point is!"

Problem with your approach is you HAVE no point, so you are all about taking offence and then dismissing.

If I am wrong then reply to this post. I will take your lack of response as confirmation of your certitude that I speak the truth

Old 09-28-2015, 05:40 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
Recently I have been on a couple of fundamentalist Christian forums where I quite politely questioned why their deity was described as a god of love, and was banned very quickly!
They aren't scared. Forums are like clubs...they desire a certain 'thing'.
Probably, they want to all progress in their beliefs, enjoy each
others' company and you are an outsider to those beliefs..pure and simple.
They have a right to have a Chevy only Forum...no talk of Fords, as I see it.

I was also banned from an extremely active Christian forum as I began to discover new insights that did not flow with the founders from Church of Christ , I found out.
To this day I have the most reps per post there. I was liked...but not by the group of founders.
Their rigidity in thought was profound...oh well...it's their right.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:29 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Thread temporarily closed pending moderator consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality