Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 750 times

Advertisements

I'm Latter Day Saints convert that has only been apart of the church for a few years and has recently started going to college. I'm suppose to be doing this as class work to teach "Learning Truth" This is suppose to be tying all I learn together this week. How I plan to start this is really totally out of my comfort zone because I've never been truly good at this sort of thing. After reading the first five chapters of Nephi of his history about his father being a visionary on how he left his home and everything behind that is told to be quite a large sum of wealth all to leave it behind to live in the wilderness with his family and only a few tents to survive with. Then to read Alma chapter Alma Chapter 17 about Mosiah with Alma finding his brethren at how he mentions they faith by such intense in reading the scriptures, fasting, prayer that gave them ability to see prophecy to come. It seems what I try to do feel so small compared to what they do. Yet I still find it incurable to know their devotion to learning the truth runs so deep with in their spirit that it gives me desire to go through what they did to prayer to learn what they were able to learn. This swag ways to teaching the the learning of truth with the only way I know who is bare my testimony. I had been not practicing catholic member for almost two decades after falling out with disagreement with a close friend of mine at why the church choose that made me leave the church. I lated move to California to live on my own where most of my time was spent supporting myself with some difficulties bumps in the road with my first place shortly after been giving an eviction notice to the owners so I had to move quickly. The second place was not so good as the home owner tried to take advantage of charging for stuff I never ask for him to buy so I got out of that situation quickly as well. After moving from two places in less then two months I was about to call it move back home, but I didn't know why I keep going. I was lucky the third time around I found non owner boarding house that I move in right away offering the first months rent up front of what I could afford. It was great for years with continued payments to the home owner with no issues really. I even pitch it to hire carpet cleaners to clean up the carpets ever couple months and I was enjoying the place quite so. Me another person living at the house at the time choose to leave to get our own apartment splitting everything 50/50 at that point it was good for the next two years. I been in California for almost ten years at this point. This is when my life change 360 when randomly I had a chance to talk to a women from Taiwan. She was rather impressive to the point it was scary but I enjoyed an look forward to when I contact her again. For almost a year we been talking to each other almost everyday. We grown very fond of each other with her even coming down a few times to visit me. I knew very early on this girl was the one an I wasn't going to let her go. That is when we were getting serious while she was her she drop the news she was Mormon. Now I have to be honest I didn't know much of Mormon faith at the time only that it was use in a lot of jokes on t.v. that I watch but never took it seriously. I felt desire to learn more so I had set up meetings with some young me who were on a mission at the time. They taught the basics of their faith first few meetings, but after the first one I felt oddly drawn to it for some reason. Not because the women I knew I wanted to to be apart of the rest of my life was Mormon, but just because it was alluring to me that I never could figure out why. I keep meeting the men a couple times a week to come yet still was unsure about rather I wanted to join. I begun praying again at this point and I even download the entire Book of Mormon onto my phone to listen to the scriptures on my way to work. I felt empowered hearing the words of scripture to the point my usual listen to podcast was shifted to listening to the Book of Mormon when I go and come home. When my now wife came for her third visit she come this time to stay with me as I was about to be baptize to Latter Day Saints. I was scared of the comment it came with, but on that day when I was getting the outfit to be put into water to where later I was dunk under. I have to be honest the visual image of when this happen to Jesus flash before my eyes as I was put under. When I was surface again I felt different some how but I really like the feeling that I had a hard time containing myself but my hand were shaking with excitement. I had made a journey to this point to where here now I sit on this bed with know me married three years later with amazon wife and two wonderful little twin girls. I don't want to say this journey didn't has it bumps it did have a few but I stuck with it but the point I want to make with Learning the truth is that this all started with a person telling me they were Mormon. That was it that got me interested in looking into it more about what Latter Day Saints was all about an from that I began to learn faith. I found faith again in God and the Lord, Holy Ghost that been away from my life so long but the felt like only I really close friend was just move away for awhile. I have to say would I change anything if I could do this all over again and to be honest yes their would be stuff I would change but I can tell you this I would not want to end up any other way then it has now. This is my testimony an this I say in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 12:03 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Easing reading comprehension is why God made paragraph breaks.

You should make them too.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:52 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroarcher View Post
I'm Latter Day Saints convert that has only been apart of the church for a few years and has recently started going to college.
I'm suppose to be doing this as class work to teach "Learning Truth" This is suppose to be tying all I learn together this week. How I plan to start this is really totally out of my comfort zone because I've never been truly good at this sort of thing.
After reading the first five chapters of Nephi of his history about his father being a visionary on how he left his home and everything behind that is told to be quite a large sum of wealth all to leave it behind to live in the wilderness with his family and only a few tents to survive with.
Then to read Alma chapter Alma Chapter 17 about Mosiah with Alma finding his brethren at how he mentions they faith by such intense in reading the scriptures, fasting, prayer that gave them ability to see prophecy to come.
It seems what I try to do feel so small compared to what they do. Yet I still find it incurable to know their devotion to learning the truth runs so deep with in their spirit that it gives me desire to go through what they did to prayer to learn what they were able to learn.
This swag ways to teaching the the learning of truth with the only way I know who is bare my testimony. I had been not practicing catholic member for almost two decades after falling out with disagreement with a close friend of mine at why the church choose that made me leave the church.
I lated move to California to live on my own where most of my time was spent supporting myself with some difficulties bumps in the road with my first place shortly after been giving an eviction notice to the owners so I had to move quickly.
The second place was not so good as the home owner tried to take advantage of charging for stuff I never ask for him to buy so I got out of that situation quickly as well. After moving from two places in less then two months I was about to call it move back home, but I didn't know why I keep going.
I was lucky the third time around I found non owner boarding house that I move in right away offering the first months rent up front of what I could afford. It was great for years with continued payments to the home owner with no issues really. I even pitch it to hire carpet cleaners to clean up the carpets ever couple months and I was enjoying the place quite so.
Me another person living at the house at the time choose to leave to get our own apartment splitting everything 50/50 at that point it was good for the next two years. I been in California for almost ten years at this point. This is when my life change 360 when randomly I had a chance to talk to a women from Taiwan. She was rather impressive to the point it was scary but I enjoyed an look forward to when I contact her again. For almost a year we been talking to each other almost everyday. We grown very fond of each other with her even coming down a few times to visit me.
I knew very early on this girl was the one an I wasn't going to let her go. That is when we were getting serious while she was her she drop the news she was Mormon. Now I have to be honest I didn't know much of Mormon faith at the time only that it was use in a lot of jokes on t.v. that I watch but never took it seriously.
I felt desire to learn more so I had set up meetings with some young me who were on a mission at the time. They taught the basics of their faith first few meetings, but after the first one I felt oddly drawn to it for some reason. Not because the women I knew I wanted to to be apart of the rest of my life was Mormon, but just because it was alluring to me that I never could figure out why. I keep meeting the men a couple times a week to come yet still was unsure about rather I wanted to join.
I begun praying again at this point and I even download the entire Book of Mormon onto my phone to listen to the scriptures on my way to work. I felt empowered hearing the words of scripture to the point my usual listen to podcast was shifted to listening to the Book of Mormon when I go and come home. When my now wife came for her third visit she come this time to stay with me as I was about to be baptize to Latter Day Saints. I was scared of the comment it came with, but on that day when I was getting the outfit to be put into water to where later I was dunk under. I have to be honest the visual image of when this happen to Jesus flash before my eyes as I was put under. When I was surface again I felt different some how but I really like the feeling that I had a hard time containing myself but my hand were shaking with excitement.
I had made a journey to this point to where here now I sit on this bed with know me married three years later with amazon wife and two wonderful little twin girls. I don't want to say this journey didn't has it bumps it did have a few but I stuck with it but the point I want to make with Learning the truth is that this all started with a person telling me they were Mormon. That was it that got me interested in looking into it more about what Latter Day Saints was all about an from that I began to learn faith. I found faith again in God and the Lord, Holy Ghost that been away from my life so long but the felt like only I really close friend was just move away for awhile.
I have to say would I change anything if I could do this all over again and to be honest yes their would be stuff I would change but I can tell you this I would not want to end up any other way then it has now. This is my testimony an this I say in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
congratulations on beginning your indentured service.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:36 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
congratulations on beginning your indentured service.
Religion. Creating happy slaves since 5,000 BC(E).

Old 09-28-2015, 11:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
That's absolutely fine and thanks for sharing your experiences, though really introducing paras would have made it easier to read.

There are a lot of skeptics, unbelievers and assorted hellbound pondslime here and we do tend to jump on any theist post, 'Just telling' or not. But you are very welcome to post here to show and tell as they say.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:07 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
I am confused. In the first sentence you say you are apart from the LDS Church for a few years then you go on about things that seem LDS related.

I couldn't read the whole thing so maybe I missed where you came back.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:06 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Religion. Creating happy slaves since 5,000 BC(E).
I am going to make this a bumper sticker!!

Old 09-29-2015, 08:16 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am confused. In the first sentence you say you are apart from the LDS Church for a few years then you go on about things that seem LDS related.

I couldn't read the whole thing so maybe I missed where you came back.
I didn't get much past the first sentence to be honest. My brain glazes over when I see a wall of text. But, o.p. opening sentence reads:

I'm Latter Day Saints convert that has only been apart of the church for a few years and has recently started going to college.

Apart "of", rather than apart "from". So, I took it to mean he is a member of LDS.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:32 PM

659 posts, read 313,014 times
Is teaching religion teaching truth?

If so, which is true and why?

Not to intrude, but just curious, because I am a big fan of the truth...

Old 09-29-2015, 01:40 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I didn't get much past the first sentence to be honest. My brain glazes over when I see a wall of text. But, o.p. opening sentence reads:

Apart "of", rather than apart "from". So, I took it to mean he is a member of LDS.
Ok. I think he therefore meant "a part of". Apart means separate from or away from. What a difference a space can make!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality