Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 03:45 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,816 times

Advertisements

Short history. Raised catholic. grew up in catholic church. goes to college- they dont have one particular religion so its more non denominatinal. Now in my 30s working adult. married. Goes to non denominational church- love the pastors message and what he stands for. I feel like i learn something every day. Catholic Church can be very boring. But that could be because i havent found the right catholic church in minnesota. ( i previously lived in PHiladelphia and Virginia and i loved my catholic church there). I love the church i go to but i feel like im missing something by not going to a catholic church. I want my kids to be baptized catholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 04:33 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Short history. Raised catholic. grew up in catholic church. goes to college- they dont have one particular religion so its more non denominatinal. Now in my 30s working adult. married. Goes to non denominational church- love the pastors message and what he stands for. I feel like i learn something every day. Catholic Church can be very boring. But that could be because i havent found the right catholic church in minnesota. ( i previously lived in PHiladelphia and Virginia and i loved my catholic church there). I love the church i go to but i feel like im missing something by not going to a catholic church. I want my kids to be baptized catholic.
I belong to a large Southern Baptist church near a major US city, very similiar in worship style and overall message to the non-denominational churches in my area. We have quite a few former Catholics.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:45 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
I want my kids to be baptized catholic.
Why?

Old 10-05-2015, 04:05 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Why?
i grew up in the catholic church. I believe in the 7 sacraments and ten commandments. I believe in the rosary and giving Mary her praise. I believe in fasting for lent and actually giving up something. Dont get me wrong, i love the messages in a christian church. But i appreciate the simplicity of the Catholic church. You dont need Big screen Tvs and camera's. CAtholic churches dont stress about writing checks for tithes talking about what you need and dont need. I miss going to confession.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
i grew up in the catholic church. I believe in the 7 sacraments and ten commandments. I believe in the rosary and giving Mary her praise. I believe in fasting for lent and actually giving up something. Dont get me wrong, i love the messages in a christian church. But i appreciate the simplicity of the Catholic church. You dont need Big screen Tvs and camera's. CAtholic churches dont stress about writing checks for tithes talking about what you need and dont need. I miss going to confession.
Then keep looking until you find a good fit. Lots of Catholic churches out there.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:56 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times
Quote:
I followed a similar route. I grew up Catholic, but wandered away after confirmation in my teen years. I started attending a non-denominational church in my early 20's and am now a pastor in a small country church at age 42.

Did you have a question? Is there anything I can help with?

Old 10-06-2015, 07:39 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
So you are saying that familiarity is most important to you and you want to return to your religion of origin without putting any thought into its validity, and despite the boredom. In that case, DewDropInn is right, there is a lot of variety in Catholicism and you can probably find a Catholic church that minimizes the boredom factor.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:44 AM

33,531 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Raised catholic, but stopped believing around age 20....Have been atheist for 55 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality