Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 08:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Out of your 11,000 posts, how many of them contain actual substance compared to post like this one, which are simply childish 'Nuh-uh's... I'm guessing very very few.
I rest my case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 08:29 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
and God can be glorified on countless other planets, by countless other life forms too
God is infinite
don't limit God or his creations

they can also have holy books on their planets and be worshipping god too
again, don't make yourself more important than God

(and from what i understand about life forms on other planets, and their relationship with the Divine, they are a lot farther along than we are, a lot more advanced, a lot more peaceful; they are what we are growing towards if we can get our act together and not destroy our own planetary home)
Are you speaking of the Judeo-Christian God as revealed in the Scripture or just a generic god?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I rest my case.
Can't rest what you didn't have in the first place.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:30 PM

22,154 posts, read 19,210,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
The mentally weak person either accepts literally what the Bible says (fundamentalist), no thought required. Or rejects it without proof (atheist), no thought required. If you do either, offer proof or be dismissed as weak minded.
i have to agree it is the easy way out to say "God does not exist" end of discussion
or "if someone can prove it then i'll believe" end of discussion
or "it's fate or luck, nothing beyond the physical" end of discussion
or "when you're dead you're dead, that's all there is" end of discussion
or "i used to believe but now I don't" end of discussion
or "i don't have a soul, it is made up" end of discussion

that is a lazy approach
it dismisses and avoids dealing with, learning about, exploring, grappling with the "big questions"
nothing wrong with that, but yes it is taking the easy way out, and yes it is lazy

Old 10-08-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
The Gospels are historically unreliable because they were written by unknown authors, because we have no original manuscripts, and because they've been translated so many times that the original meanings are likely unrecognizable.
We have over 25,000 extant manuscripts of the New Testament, with the earliest dating back to the first century. With such a mass of historical evidence, we can see that there was zero doctrinal evolutions of the text and that the Scripture I hold in my hand right now, is the same text that was written 2,000 years ago. We have more than enough physical evidence that we can say with certainty that we know what was contained in the original writings.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:42 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,691,789 times
Quote:
i have to agree it is the easy way out to say "God does not exist" end of discussion
or "if someone can prove it then i'll believe" end of discussion
or "it's fate or luck, nothing beyond the physical" end of discussion
or "when you're dead you're dead, that's all there is" end of discussion
or "i used to believe but now I don't" end of discussion
or "i don't have a soul, it is made up" end of discussion

that is a lazy approach
it dismisses and avoids dealing with, learning about, exploring, grappling with the "big questions"
nothing wrong with that, but yes it is taking the easy way out, and yes it is lazy
Why would you want to believe anything without proof? Believing without proof is the epitome of laziness, by accepting what one wants to believe instead of following where the evidence leads.

Why is it logical to believe anything exists beyond the physical without any empirical evidence?

Why believe anything happens after death since there is no evidence to suggest otherwise?

Changing one's beliefs when evidence convinces one otherwise demonstrates intellectual honesty, otherwise one is guilty of confirmation bias.

Without evidence of a soul, why should one believe otherwise?

Believing anything simply because one wants it to be true is illogical, intellectually dishonest, and yes intellectual laziness.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
We have over 25,000 extant manuscripts of the New Testament, with the earliest dating back to the first century. With such a mass of historical evidence, we can see that there was zero doctrinal evolutions of the text and that the Scripture I hold in my hand right now, is the same text that was written 2,000 years ago. We have more than enough physical evidence that we can say with certainty that we know what was contained in the original writings.
These claims have been debunked earlier in this thread. Historians and even theologians dispute these claims. Who wrote the text you are holding in your right hand?

Old 10-08-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Why would you want to believe anything without proof? Believing without proof is the epitome of laziness, by accepting what one wants to believe instead of following where the evidence leads.

Why is it logical to believe anything exists beyond the physical without any empirical evidence?

Why believe anything happens after death since there is no evidence to suggest otherwise?

Changing one's beliefs when evidence convinces one otherwise demonstrates intellectual honesty, otherwise one is guilty of confirmation bias.

Believing anything simply because one wants it to be true is illogical, intellectually dishonest, and yes intellectual laziness.
If your significant other told you there was a hungry mountain lion in your house, would you believe them?

Old 10-08-2015, 08:49 PM

22,154 posts, read 19,210,182 times
Quote:

it's not about saying "i believe this or that" based on what anyone tells you, or on what you read, you have to explore and participate yourself. when a person does not, they are lazy.

in being willing to explore those areas, I am able to verify them for myself. the exploration and learning never ends, because the learning is infinite and there are always more questions. it is not my job to prove anything to anyone else, that is meaningless and a waste of time. it is very much my job to live in the big questions and explore them myself. this i have done and continue to do decade after decade. it is utterly engaging, exceedingly practical, and delightfully fun

what is lazy is to say "i believe this" and stop, end of discussion
or "this can't be true" and stop, end of discussion
or "that doesn't make sense" and stop, end of discussion

it is a process. not a smug "i have the answer and you are a stupid retard because you can't prove your claims" which is utterly stagnant. it is also stagnant to sit and demand proof, demand to be convinced. do it yourself!

Old 10-08-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
If your significant other told you there was a hungry mountain lion in your house, would you believe them?
No, because no mountain lions exist in our neck of the woods.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
it's not about saying "i believe this or that" based on what anyone tells you, or on what you read, you have to explore and participate yourself. when a person does not, they are lazy.

in being willing to explore those areas, I am able to verify them for myself. it is not my job to prove anything to anyone else, that is meaningless and a waste of time.. it is very much my job to live in the big questions and explore them myself. this i have done and continue to do decade after decade.
So, what evidence have you uncovered in your "exploration" that convinces you of what you believe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality