Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 03:10 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,288,637 times

Advertisements

There are religions that encourage vegetarianism, like the 7th Day Adventists (and they tend to live long, healthy lives). Pork is strongly discouraged.

Catholics used to avoid red meat on Fridays, and Mormons have their restrictions, too, particularly against alcohol and caffeine.

Besides, while pork is by nature a "filthy" animal that will eat anything, today they are corn and grain-fed and likely no more tainted than other animals for consumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 08:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,143,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post

Besides, while pork is by nature a "filthy" animal that will eat anything, today they are corn and grain-fed and likely no more tainted than other animals for consumption.
Plus, we know about cooking it thoroughly so we don't die slow, painful deaths from trichinosis.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:17 PM

1,273 posts, read 990,454 times
Hahahahaha
I need a double bacon cheese burger and dedicate it's consumption to this thread.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:19 PM

1,273 posts, read 990,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
There are religions that encourage vegetarianism, like the 7th Day Adventists (and they tend to live long, healthy lives). Pork is strongly discouraged.

Catholics used to avoid red meat on Fridays, and Mormons have their restrictions, too, particularly against alcohol and caffeine.

Correction, it's against alcohol, coffee, and black/green tea. Not caffeine. Just to be completely accurate
I.e. I'm not giving up my energy drinks

Old 10-08-2015, 10:14 AM

28,069 posts, read 29,914,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
Nor me my Diet Cokes!

Old 10-08-2015, 10:45 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,143,315 times
Quote:
Correction, it's against alcohol, coffee, and black/green tea. Not caffeine. Just to be completely accurate
Thanks for the correction. All these years.... I thought the prohibition was caffeine. I like to offer the missionaries a cold drink. I'll be able to expand their choices.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:59 AM

63,727 posts, read 40,000,791 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Nor me my Diet Cokes!
LOL I admit that I find dietary restrictions based on Bronze-age belief systems totally absurd, but to each his/her own.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:01 PM

19,941 posts, read 13,433,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Plus, we know about cooking it thoroughly so we don't die slow, painful deaths from trichinosis.
I can never think of this topic without remembering an old Gary Larson cartoon (The Far Side) where two hungry wolves are contemplating a herd of pigs. One wolf says to the other, "I say we take them ... and trichinosis be damned!"

Old 10-08-2015, 07:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,151,240 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I can never think of this topic without remembering an old Gary Larson cartoon (The Far Side) where two hungry wolves are contemplating a herd of pigs. One wolf says to the other, "I say we take them ... and trichinosis be damned!"
Folks, trichinosis isn't much of an issue these days. I ain't afeered of a little pink in my pork.

From the link:

Despite the historical problems of trichinae and its association with the pork industry, major changes have occurred in the last 50 years. Human cases of trichinellosis reported to the Centers for Disease Control declined from about 500/year in the 1940's to fewer than 50/year over the last decade. Further, many of these cases result from non-pork sources such as bear and other game meats. A major decline has also occurred in the prevalence of this parasite in pigs (see Table 1). While prevalence has declined considerably in U.S. pigs, the lowest prevalence rates in domestic pigs are found in countries where meat inspection programs have been in place for many years (including countries of the European Union, notably Denmark and the Netherlands); these countries consider themselves essentially free of trichinae.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:11 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,001,813 times
Quote:
Well, take a look at southeast Germany and the high amount of pork consumption and you'll see people that are in there 30s and 40's with joint problems and the doctors there say it is because of the pork...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality