Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 10:06 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,184 times

Advertisements

Apparently Josh's sister and her new husband have used questionable means to raise funds for a "mission" in El Salvador. They suggest strongly that the Southern Baptist Conference has endorsed this "mission", and in reality, the SBC did NOT endorse them, and in fact are indicating the reason is that Jill Duggar and Derick Dillard were not qualified as they did not have the education the SBC requires for such endorsements.

To top things off, they had a crowd funding account, and although they actually did go to El Salvador, it was only for a short period of time, and they came back. The money? They kept. Oh, of course there is some spin and suggestions of why they came back, but reality is, all are misleading.

But when it comes to the Duggars, who is still surprised that they produce misleading perspectives.

Jill Duggar & Derick Dillard: FIRED From Missionary Work?! - The Hollywood Gossip

Quotes from that article:
Now, however, some critics are theorizing that the Dillards assumed that they would be accepted (and funded) by the Southern Baptist Church.

That organization, along with the International Mission Board, rejected them due to their lack of qualifications, her family's epic scandals, or both.

Several fans who made donations have taken to social media to ask the Dillards if their missionary work was ever affiliated with the SBC and IMB.
Also:

‘People wise up': Fans starting to think Duggar daughter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 11:34 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,466,622 times
I'm inclined to see more mainstream journalistic confirmation of all this, but if the Raw Story is to be believed, Josh never showed up for his rehab in Illinois either and his whereabouts is currently murky. Which is a new (to me anyway) twist on the original Josh saga.

Not that this rehab would have done him any good, it is just another useless "pray the lust away" type of approach.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:38 AM

773 posts, read 786,120 times
The Duggars belong in a Hypocrite section, not Religion.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I'm inclined to see more mainstream journalistic confirmation of all this, but if the Raw Story is to be believed, Josh never showed up for his rehab in Illinois either and his whereabouts is currently murky. Which is a new (to me anyway) twist on the original Josh saga.

Not that this rehab would have done him any good, it is just another useless "pray the lust away" type of approach.
I know what you mean by looking for more mainstream at times, but disregarding the source, the facts appear not to be refuted anywhere.

That whole clan needs to have a make over. Sort of like the Duck Dynasty guys.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:32 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I know what you mean by looking for more mainstream at times, but disregarding the source, the facts appear not to be refuted anywhere.

That whole clan needs to have a make over. Sort of like the Duck Dynasty guys.
They're just another example of religious extremism and its negative consequences.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:56 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
They are now offering refunds to the people who donated money for their mission. Which seems to have been more of an extended vacation.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:59 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,436 times
That's the thing. They're not even "religious" they're fringe.

That Hollywood ever supported them is beyond me, except to monk actual Christians. Attention ***** family, that used crowd funding to take a vacation retreat. People funded them somehow believing they had anything to do with helping God. You wanna help God? There are charities. Soup kitchens. Homeless shelters. They are minority groups (blacks and LGBT to name some), poor people, and churches that used to be united but now they split.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,229,478 times
So, if I'm understanding this correctly: rather than go through the necessary training to be commissioned by a missionary board, they started a non-profit organization to solicit funds to do indie missionary work? I remember on [URL="http://www.dillardfamily.com/blog?ID=df5d4caf-bc87-4e26-8f4b-807ae6953100"]their blog[/URL], Derrick said their home church commissioned them, but evidently that's not true. Yeah, I can see why donors would be pissed.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
They are now offering refunds to the people who donated money for their mission. Which seems to have been more of an extended vacation.
Where did you read that from?

Their blog does not indicate that at all.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:18 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,229,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Interesting. If I were running a legit non-profit organization and donors were calling me into question, the first thing I would do is post my IRS form 990, or at very least an itemized list of my expenditures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality