Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 09:31 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Tell me again what "spontaneously form" means?
Spontaneous: coming or resulting from a natural impulse or tendency; without effort or premeditation; natural and unconstrained; unplanned.

In this case it means all on it's own without human direction. Could it have occurred at the direction of the he creator? Sure. It could have occurred at the direction of Quetzalcoatl, or Zeus. Perhaps Popeye caused it to occur after using his spinach. It could have occurred as a result of anything you choose to imagine. None of these things are obvious however, although you are perfectly free to declare the cause to be the result of whatever pleases you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 10:21 PM

63,773 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Tell me again what "spontaneously form" means?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Spontaneous: coming or resulting from a natural impulse or tendency; without effort or premeditation; natural and unconstrained; unplanned.
In this case it means all on it's own without human direction. Could it have occurred at the direction of the he creator? Sure. It could have occurred at the direction of Quetzalcoatl, or Zeus. Perhaps Popeye caused it to occur after using his spinach. It could have occurred as a result of anything you choose to imagine. None of these things are obvious however, although you are perfectly free to declare the cause to be the result of whatever pleases you.
Just checking. I see you are intelligent enough to understand what it is NOT . . . an explanation. It is a euphemism for "we do not know" as are so many of the "pseudo-explanations" in science. I only get annoyed when they are presented as axtual explanations.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:26 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times
Quote:
Just checking. I see you are intelligent enough to understand what it is NOT . . . an explanation. It is a euphemism for "we do not know" as are so many of the "pseudo-explanations" in science. I only get annoyed when they are presented as axtual explanations.
I bet it blows your mind when you hear about a bacterium living in space on the exterior of, for example, a space station. You see 9.3 billion years is a long time and then the Earth comes along ripe for life to grow and evolve.

Why don't you ask yourself how a bacterium could possibly be living in near space-like conditions on the exterior of a vehicle with just enough energy emminating from it to keep it alive. Ask yourself where and why there's a difference between warm-blooded and cold-blooded creatures.

9.3 billion years is a long time. Maybe too much for some people to comprehend.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:02 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,388 times
Great thread and topic, though I'm not surprised by all the derisive responses considering it's posted in the religious forum.

Here's a great discussion from Skeptic Magazine debating the scientific merits for 'god' as a cause of life. It gives fairly equal space to both sides:
Skeptic » eSkeptic » September 30, 2015

Old 10-13-2015, 08:23 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
Great thread and topic, though I'm not surprised by all the derisive responses considering it's posted in the religious forum.

[/url]
Guess your definition of derisive is "to disagree".

Old 10-13-2015, 08:31 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Guess your definition of derisive is "to disagree".
Did you even bother to read the link?

The OP just posted an article describing an advancement in understanding how life might have emerged, and no surprise, it doesn't involve god.

Currently, there isn't a definitive explanation for the emergence of life, and maybe there never will be. Scientists don't pretend to have a definitive explanation, while many religionists do. 'God' is not an explanation any more than any other made-up word is.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint, but the college grad DOES have an understanding of the Big Bang (it is probably the way our universe began) and many things scientific.

I am of the opinion that chance does not produce the laws of nature and mathematics. I am also of the opinion that 1000 monkeys pounding on 1000 word processors for a 1000 years would produce a novel.

Abiogenesis is simply how the atheist believes life came to be. Believes being the operative word and a matter of faith since there is no real evidence it is true-only speculation based on lab experiments.

Unlike 90% of the posters here, I do read the linked articles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
Did you even bother to read the link?

A better question is: have you read the posts in this thread before posting?

Old 10-13-2015, 11:58 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times
Quote:
A better question is: have you read the posts in this thread before posting?
Answer the question... did you even read the link.

I'm the OP, I've followed this thread. Now, did you read the article?

Old 10-14-2015, 12:51 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I bet it blows your mind when you hear about a bacterium living in space on the exterior of, for example, a space station. You see 9.3 billion years is a long time and then the Earth comes along ripe for life to grow and evolve.

Why don't you ask yourself how a bacterium could possibly be living in near space-like conditions on the exterior of a vehicle with just enough energy emminating from it to keep it alive. Ask yourself where and why there's a difference between warm-blooded and cold-blooded creatures.

9.3 billion years is a long time. Maybe too much for some people to comprehend.
Have you heard of tardigrades? Water bears, also known as tardigrades, are known for their virtual indestructibility on Earth. The creatures can survive intense pressures, huge doses of radiation, and years of being dried out. They can also survive space, freezing, being boiled and they live 200 years...They are without doubt the toughest creature on earth.... https://www.newscientist.com/article...-space-vacuum/

Absurd Creature of the Week: The Incredible Critter That's Tough Enough to Survive in Space | WIRED

Old 10-14-2015, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Answer the question... did you even read the link.

I'm the OP, I've followed this thread. Now, did you read the article?
Quote:
Sorry to disappoint, but the college grad DOES have an understanding of the Big Bang (it is probably the way our universe began) and many things scientific.

I am of the opinion that chance does not produce the laws of nature and mathematics. I am also of the opinion that 1000 monkeys pounding on 1000 word processors for a 1000 years would produce a novel.

Abiogenesis is simply how the atheist believes life came to be. Believes being the operative word and a matter of faith since there is no real evidence it is true-only speculation based on lab experiments.

Unlike 90% of the posters here, I do read the linked articles.
I already said I did.

Last edited by Mr5150; 10-14-2015 at 04:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality