Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:52 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,611 times

Advertisements

For a long time I've been very hostile towards religon. Without going into too much detail, I grew up in a fundamentalist Baptist home and was very turned off by the way the Bible was used for control. There wasn't alot of conversation about issues; we only heard you can't do this or this is the way it is, "because the Bible said so." Needless to say, I grew up in an angry and cold home. I now know this isn't what Christianity is about but is has colored my perception.

Recently, I've become interested in religion again as I want that influence in my life. I believe I have lost my way and need the moral guidance and community religion can offer. However, I don't want to go to a church that preaches "evolution is evil" and that "the earth is 6,000 years old". I personally believe that God and evolution are not mutually exclusive ideas.

I've searched for a church that aligns with my beliefs but cannot find one. Unitarianism seemed to be promising but the more I read about it the more I felt this is not for me. Does anybody know of any church's or groups that fit within this belief system? Is anybody out there searching for something similar to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 01:21 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,476 times
Default How About Catholicism?

I know that Catholics believe that the truth cannot trump truth. And because of that, they also believe that science can co-exist with Catholic faith.

Here's a website with some Faith & Science discussions:

Catholic Answers: Library: Faith & Science

Old 01-29-2008, 01:32 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times
The Episcopal Church values the importance of independent thinking and education. While I am sure that there are ignorant and misimrormed ministers in that denomination as there are anywhere, I think that you will find that they are usually very well educated in science, etc.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:47 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,574 times
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America pretty much allows you to believe as you prefer concerning the creation of the universe.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:54 PM

91 posts, read 408,672 times
We love Unity. Here is their web site.

Association of Unity Churches

Old 01-29-2008, 02:58 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,346 times
Don't give up on all Baptist. Check out a Baptist General Conference (http://216.177.136.28/chdirect/CHURCHES_list.php - broken link) church. I know several where in adult classes they actually do compartive studies with Bible and Science. Not to dispute or discount science. One I went to actually had several professional scientists in it (and yes they believe the Bible).

Old 01-29-2008, 03:10 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
There are many "spiritual traditions" as opposed to "religion" that are open and welcoming and uplifting without the baggage of judgment and evil and sin. There is a group of related churches that call themselves "practical Christianity" including Unity and and Church of Religious Science and Church of Divine Science, with loosely similar approach.

I love Unity churches and find them some of the most wonderful places. Unitarian churches are welcoming also, but I didn't get enough god to suit me, filled with wonderful people though. Best wishes on your path!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:39 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
For a long time I've been very hostile towards religon. Without going into too much detail, I grew up in a fundamentalist Baptist home and was very turned off by the way the Bible was used for control. There wasn't alot of conversation about issues; we only heard you can't do this or this is the way it is, "because the Bible said so." Needless to say, I grew up in an angry and cold home. I now know this isn't what Christianity is about but is has colored my perception.

Recently, I've become interested in religion again as I want that influence in my life. I believe I have lost my way and need the moral guidance and community religion can offer. However, I don't want to go to a church that preaches "evolution is evil" and that "the earth is 6,000 years old". I personally believe that God and evolution are not mutually exclusive ideas.

I've searched for a church that aligns with my beliefs but cannot find one. Unitarianism seemed to be promising but the more I read about it the more I felt this is not for me. Does anybody know of any church's or groups that fit within this belief system? Is anybody out there searching for something similar to me?
I once felt the same.

I think within every denomination there are more progressive churches. I have attended Methodist and Presbyterian churches and found this sort of support.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:57 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
I think there's some pretty good advice in those posts. There really is a wide variety to choose from if you feel a need to have religion in your life. I would think that alot of it would depend on what you actually believe yourself as far as religion is concerned. You might not find a perfect match but I'll bet you could at least pick a religion that's as close to what you personally think if you make an effort to learn about your choices. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:43 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,611 times
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm researching all the denominations posted and I hope to find a good fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality