Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:06 PM

22,177 posts, read 19,217,049 times

Advertisements

Alright we're talking personal experience here. What mystical experiences have you had? It is entirely up to you however you define what a mystical experience is to you in your life, just share with us please what happened.

Thank you to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 03:22 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
I wouldn't put the word "mystical" on it, but the most awe-inspiring experience I ever had was spending the night alone on top of a 13,000 foot mountain in the Sierras. It's pretty odd to lie there and look up at the billions of stars in the sky and to know you're not even a blip on the radar in terms of the galaxy, and to lie there and wonder how many of those stars have inhabited planets, and what their "people" and cultures are like, and how long they've been there and whether or not we'll ever get to meet any of them, and how that meeting will end up...

Old 01-30-2008, 05:13 PM

245 posts, read 625,344 times
I'm not sure how "mystical" it is, but there have been many times I felt someone staring at me only to look around and find it is so. I have also noticed that when I am hunting if I stare at an animal intently it is far more likely to notice me. On the same vain it seems that if I concentrate on someone they often turn to look. then there is thinking about someone, the phone rings and its them, and many simalar things like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I wouldn't put the word "mystical" on it, but the most awe-inspiring experience I ever had was spending the night alone on top of a 13,000 foot mountain in the Sierras. It's pretty odd to lie there and look up at the billions of stars in the sky and to know you're not even a blip on the radar in terms of the galaxy, and to lie there and wonder how many of those stars have inhabited planets, and what their "people" and cultures are like, and how long they've been there and whether or not we'll ever get to meet any of them, and how that meeting will end up...
This reminds me of a poem I've been trying to write for years, inspired by a very simalar experience.
Light eternal
I look at the moonless sky and think of light eternal, I wonder what great and wise civilizations have arisen since that light began its journey to me. are the glow of there cities intermingled with the light of those suns, only reaching me now, long after they have returned to dust and what of our light, where does it go ? When I turn out the light in the middle of the night and it fades outside my window, do the campfires of my youth still burn across that night sky? will someday some far off wonderer muse at the star that once warmed my face and find it that much brighter?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:37 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
I'm not sure how "mystical" it is, but there have been many times I felt someone staring at me only to look around and find it is so. I have also noticed that when I am hunting if I stare at an animal intently it is far more likely to notice me. On the same vain it seems that if I concentrate on someone they often turn to look. then there is thinking about someone, the phone rings and its them, and many simalar things like this.

This reminds me of a poem I've been trying to write for years, inspired by a very simalar experience.
Light eternal
I look at the moonless sky and think of light eternal, I wonder what great and wise civilizations have arisen since that light began its journey to me. are the glow of there cities intermingled with the light of those suns, only reaching me now, long after they have returned to dust and what of our light, where does it go ? When I turn out the light in the middle of the night and it fades outside my window, do the campfires of my youth still burn across that night sky? will someday some far off wonderer muse at the star that once warmed my face and find it that much brighter?
Oh, man...exactly. You look at the light and you think, "Damn...that light is so old. That star might not even be there anymore! What things happened in that stream of light?"

I mean...wouldn't it be awesome if we could take that beam of light, and see all the things that happened at the moment that mote of light was hurled out from its parent star...

Old 01-30-2008, 10:36 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Like some of the others on here, I wouldn't define it as "mystical". I suppose in everyone's life we have those little odd moments where things just seem to fall right into place. Whether it's thinking about your favorite comedy re-run only to find that when you turn the TV on that particular episode is playing or just a stroke of luck for some other venue.

I suppose as an atheist I don't really recognize things as "mystical" in terms of having to be caused by a greater force (other than the natural forces of the universe) however there have been times when you sit there and go "Wow, that was pretty cool."

For me, I'd have to say that the most "mystical" thing that happened to me was when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I was (and still am) an avid baseball nut. Game 1 of the World Series was to be on the next night and I was excited. I went to bed the night before and dreamt of a horrible earthquake hitting California. I woke up the next day with the dream still lingering around the back of my mind, had a normal day (for a 7 year old), and got ready to watch the World Series. My Dad was out of town and my Mom said she'd watch it with me. The game was supposed to start at around 5 or 6 at night and my Mom said she had to run upstairs to take care of something real quick. She was gone for about 10 minutes and she called down to ask if it had started yet. It hadn't. As a joke, and kind of reflecting on my dream I called back "No, California just got hit by an earthquake." She came downstairs and then about 2-3 minutes later the news came on saying "This just in, Breaking News, California has just had a major earthquake. It looks as if the World Series is going to be temporarily postponed." My Mom kind of looked at me and said "How'd you do that!?" and I just kind of shrugged my shoulders.

I suppose that some would read very deeply into that as if I had some sort of psychic power or something when I was younger. I refuse to believe that. I think my dream was focused around the attention I was putting on the World Series (which was in California). I suppose like any nightmare, to a 7 year old into baseball, the worst thing I could imagine (in my dream) would be an earthquake that 'killed' the World Series. I contribute that to a coincidence, but I suppose it's the closest thing that I can come to saying I had a "mystical" experience.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:15 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Many times I have started to go somewhere in my car and I get an overwhelming feeling of "don't go"..There have even been times when I have been on the road and have the overwhelming feeling to "go back home"..I pay attention to these hunches and feelings, because a couple of times there have been fatal accidents happen just ahead of where I turned ariound or not far from my home..For some reason there are times when the phone rings, I know which of my four kids is on the other end before I pick up..One night years ago just as I was drifting off to sleep I was overcome with a sudden feeling "Mom is dead"..Within one hour , I got a phone call from my sister "Moms dead"

Old 01-30-2008, 11:50 PM

245 posts, read 625,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Oh, man...exactly. You look at the light and you think, "Damn...that light is so old. That star might not even be there anymore! What things happened in that stream of light?"

I mean...wouldn't it be awesome if we could take that beam of light, and see all the things that happened at the moment that mote of light was hurled out from its parent star...
cool you fallowed that, its surprising how many people have read and went "huh"? But, yeah it would be very cool, and as far as our limted knowledge of light goes it should be posible. could you imagine what we would find out if we could go 1000 light years from earth, look back, and see what was happening a 1000 years ago

Old 01-31-2008, 04:15 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Default Some sort of something...

At one time I was in London, and took a walk in Hyde Park. Atheist or otherwise, what I experienced has remained wit me to this day; many, many years after the fact. It was evening, and I was sitting on a park bench in front of an illuminated pond that was full of geese and ducks just swimming about. It was very peaceful to just sit there and watch...At one point, one of the swans dipped it's head into the water, presumably to catch a fish and eat it. I remember being fascinated by the fact that as the swan did so against the backdrop of the illumination, it's neck formed a perfect oval reflected by, and in the water. I pointed it out to the person I was with, and we simply continued to silently watch this swan's producing that perfectly graceful oval each time it dipped it's head into the water.

As we got up to leave, I remember suddenly having this incredibly intense experience of what I can only call unification. It seemed as though time ceased to exist; I was utterly, completely suspended within the moment, and more intensely within that moment than I could possibly attempt to describe. It was a feeling of suddenly realizing (in an extremely acute and intense way) the interconnection of all things. In that moment, I actually felt, "knew" (on some outrageously deep level that I had never experienced before) that I was a part of "all." I remember just stopping and standing there. In the distance I could hear Big Ben chiming. I turned to the person I was with and said something along the lines of "Whoa! What was that?" but basically was at a loss for words as to how to describe what "that" experience had been or was.

What is interesting about it is the fact that to this day, that one brief experience has remained with me, as it's intensity was so very --what? -- intense! I had never experienced (up until that time, nor have I since) such a strong connection both to myself as well as to all that is external in such a way. It was "self" and "other" directed; all psychic boundaries ceased to exist in that moment in as much as there was no self differentiation between myself and the rest of the world, or universe.

To this day I have no context within which to think about that experience, or terms by which I can even categorize it. I can't adequately put it into words. I suppose it was "just" a transient, fleeting experience in London. I suppose it just....

"was."

Take gentle care.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:40 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
I was meditating and all the sudden my mind began to expand. I was going into a state of higher consciousness, and there was no fear and no time during this experience. I remember just sitting there feeling the waves coming on and with each wave my mind expanded more, and then all of the sudden I was enveloped in Love. It was a Love that surpassed all Love and was like what people discribe when they have NDE. I had no thoughts, but I knew somehow that it was God, and that this God was Love, and that this God loved everyone no matter what they did. There was no judgmental God in all this because this God was nothing other than Love. And then everything went back to normal, except now I was filled with joy and my life was changed in that I now knew that there was a God and that this God loved me.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:42 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
...I think it would be more mystical if the animal you were hunting was looking at you just as you were looking at it...
Gale, Jim, and I had driven down from Oklahoma City to Jim’s home town of Talco, Texas, to hunt deer. Talco was in the northeast part of Texas between Paris and Mountain View. There were lots of pine woods and a huge deer population, and there was the pervasive and overwhelming stench of rotten eggs.

It wasn’t really rotten eggs, it was the smell of Sulphur coming from the oil fields. Or, maybe it had something to do with the Sulphur River that flowed through town on it’s way east through Louisiana to the Gulf. Whatever it was, it was very unpleasant and I thought to myself that’s probably what Hell smells like.

We were looking forward to a good time. Jim’s older brother, U.Jene, was coming up from New Orleans. I always thought his name was Eugene, and that was what it was supposed to be. But, whoever registered his birth, wrote down U.Jene, so that’s who he was.

U.Jene had promised to bring “a real Loosyana treat” for us. We had a hunch what it might be. He was always talking about how he loved Gator Steaks. Grandma Stockton said that no matter what he brought, she would cook it for us. She was already peeling a pile of potatoes to make “Irish Fries” to go with it. Jim’s Uncle Elmer was coming over and bringing a “Couple of Good Friends”. Uncle Elmer was a recluse who lived by himself in the woods. “A Couple of Good Friends” was code that meant he was bringing two jugs of his finest “squeezins”. Gale and I were going to get our bucks, then drive back to the city to spend Thanksgiving with our own families. Jim’s wife and kids were coming down and he would spend Thanksgiving with them at his Grandma’s house.

Jim stopped the truck at the old church grounds. Gale was going to hunt there. I chose the abandoned farm across the street, and Jim had a favorite spot a bit farther down the road. It wasn’t more than forty-five minutes when I heard two shots from Gale’s direction. About ten minutes later, there was one shot from down the road where Jim was. I knew they both had gotten their bucks and would be waiting for me so we could take them down to the oil field supply where Jim’s cousin Robert worked. There was a scaffold in the pipe yard with a winch. We could hang the deer up there, have them skinned and quartered in a matter of minutes and be back at Grandma’s, meeting Uncle Elmer’s “Friends” while we waited for U.Jene and the Loosyana treat. I heard a rustle in the leaves in front and a little to the left of me.

This was going to be too easy.

I hadn’t been deer hunting for two or three years because the last time I went, something strange had happened to me that I didn’t know what to make of, so I gave hunting a rest for a while. I had lost concentration and my mind blanked out when I pulled the trigger. The deer was right in front of me and I had a clear shot. I don’t know if he bounded off or if I hit him. If he bounded off I would have heard him, but If I hit him, I couldn’t find him. The other guys laughed and said I had caught “Buck Fever”. But I knew that was not it. Buck fever afflicted greenhorns. I had hunted most of my life, and besides, the symptoms of Buck fever were freezing before the shot, not going blank after the shot. I thought it was probably because had a lot on my mind. I had just gotten a transfer and I was due to report to my new assignment in Oklahoma City the next month.

But, whatever it was, was all in the past. My mind was clear and focused as I concentrated on the brush waiting for the deer to come into range. There were two of them. A large six point buck and a smaller doe. They were both beautiful animals. I loved watching Whitetails. They are much more graceful than their cousins the Mule deer. And I always thought they were smarter.

They disappeared behind a large clump of brush. I could see them moving. I raised my rifle to be ready when they came out the other side. They still hadn’t noticed my presence. I had a clear shoulder shot when the buck turned towards me and his tail started to twitch. I squeezed the trigger.

This time I kept my eyes wide open. I saw everything. I saw the impact, I saw him fall, and I saw the other one’s flag as she turned and leapt off into the pines. I was elated. All that “Buck Fever” nonsense was far in the past. I was a hunter again and I could take my turn telling my buddies about “the shot”.

Gale and Jim must have been waiting for me at the old farmhouse, because as soon as I shot I heard them blowing the steel whistles that we used for signalling. I blew a little “shave and a haircut”. Somebody answered with “two bits”. I walked over to begin field dressing my trophy. My elation suddenly turned to horror. The horror turned to panic. I sank to my knees.

I had killed the doe.

For a poacher or a pot hunter, the sex of the deer make little difference. It all fried in the same grease. For a sportsman, besides the fact that it was against the law, shooting a doe was taboo. We all understood “hunting accidents” though. The buck and doe went behind the thicket, the buck came out, I shot, the doe jumped in front of the buck and I hit her instead. Even though I knew that was not what happened, it would be my defense.

Gale wasn’t buying it. He was too nice a guy to say anything, but I could tell by the way he would glance at me that I had lost his respect. Jim understood about hunting accidents. When the temperature went below freezing, U.Jene walked with a slight limp because Jim had shot him in the foot with a .22 when they were hunting armadillos as kids.

We field dressed the doe, hid her in an old feed shed, and took the other two deer over to Robert’s shop. Jim would tell Uncle Elmer where it was and he would come that night, take it to his place and butcher it. He could use the meat and at least it wouldn’t go to waste. I felt bad about the whole situation, but my regret was wearing off. I was starting to believe my own story. Accidents happen. I still hadn’t gotten my buck and I didn’t want to go back to the city empty handed.

I planned to go hunting again in the morning.

I drove Jim’s truck back to the old farm. Uncle Elmer had come and gotten the doe. As far as I was concerned, the episode was closed. I set off down the trail, confident that this time I would get my buck. As I approached the thicket, the location of yesterdays events, I heard the leaves rustle. I saw movement through the leaves and I stood stark still. Deer have keen senses. They can catch your scent a mile away. They can hear you breathing across a five acre meadow. If you blink your eyes, they will see it and bolt. But, if you stand completely still, you are invisible to them.

He looked straight me. It was the same buck as yesterday. I didn’t expect to see him there. I wasn’t even planning to hunt there, I was just on my way by. But there he was. He lowered his head and gave a snort, expelling a little puff of steam from his nostrils. Then, he raised his head up as if he was scanning the clouds for some sort of communication. I had a head-on chest shot. I fired.

He went down on his knees, then his back legs folded and he just sat there. His eyes followed my every move as I approached. I tried to take another shot to finish him off, but my rifle jammed. I stood there about five feet in front of him. Our eyes were locked and I felt my face growing hot. His eyes were like glistening pools of black onyx and they were drawing me in. I felt our souls merging. I could feel his labored breathing in my chest and my heartbeat was growing weak.

All of a sudden I felt like Alice with the bottle of “Drink Me”. My head shot skyward and I was looking down at a distorted image of my feet. I lurched sideways. I was dizzy and off balance. I had to sit down. Sweat was running down face. It may have been tears.

I looked over at the buck. He hadn’t moved or tried to get up. He was still staring at me, but his gaze was now soft and resigned. As I sat there trying to regain my breath, I could feel his breathing slowing down. He slowly lowered his head. His nose touched the ground and he died. I loaded him in the truck. The collar of my shirt was soaking wet and I knew now that it was not sweat

I wished I had stayed home. Over the last twenty four hours I had killed two innocent creatures. For what? I didn’t need the meat. Did I do it just for the sport? What sport was there in killing these beautiful animals with whom I now seemed to share some kind of soul-space with?

I didn’t want to see or talk to anybody right then, so I drove down to the river and sat on the bank trying to figure out what had happened. As I sat there, I could see several deer off in the distance on the other side of the river. I didn’t see them as potential targets like I used to. I saw them as brothers and sisters. I wanted to run over there and say “I’m sorry”.

When I got back to the house Jim ran out waving his arms. “Where the Hell have you been? He said. “Something has happened. We have to go back right now.” Gale came out. His usual friendly smile was gone. His lips were tight and his face had a pink tinge. “Our leave is cancelled” he said. “The base is under full alert”.

Grandma Stockton was standing in the doorway twisting her hands in her apron. “They shot the President” she said. Her hands and her voice shook with emotion. “I been praying that we don’t have a war over it”.

I left the deer hanging on the side of the garage. I didn’t want it. Uncle Elmer could have it. We were silent on the way back. There was nothing on the radio except talk of the assassination, and for the time being it had taken over our lives.

A few months later I heard that U.Jene never made it up from New Orleans. He got drunk and drove off the road outside of Baton Rouge. He wasn’t hurt too badly, but he broke his foot - the same foot that Jim shot years ago. Uncle Elmer’s still blew up, burned down his cabin and about 60 acres of woods. He was staying at Grandma Stockton’s and taking care of her after her stroke. Robert had gotten fired from the oil field supply for punching the new foreman, who was black. Several years ago he had been kicked out of the army for punching his Lieutenant, who was black. He was planning to move his family to Idaho.

As I heard all this, I could smell the sulphur and I remembered my first impression of Talco, Texas. I was truly blessed. I had found God in the eyes of a dying deer right in the middle of Hell.

I never hunted again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality