Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 07:46 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
When you manage to find our secret temples and holy books and destroy them.
So Nazism, fascism, communism had secret temples and holy books?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 08:00 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,644,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
lol haha

And how about Atheism as a way of life? When will this one go down ?
I don't prefer the term 'Atheism' but rather I am 'not-a-theist'. As a convenience I'll go along with 'atheism' herewith.

Atheism is not an ideology per se.
Different 'Atheists' will adopt various claims of way-of-life, e.g. communism, Nazism, fascism, veganism, Stalinism, etc.

Note etymologically, 'Atheist' is made up of (A)+(theist).
The (A) meant 'absence of' 'negative' 'nothing' or 'not-a'
Etymologically we can have Acommunist i.e. (A)+(communist) which mean the person is not-a-communist.
Thus we have acommmunist, anazist, afascist, avegan, aracist, arealist, etc.
'Atheism' 'atheist' happened to be popular terms but in essence they are no different from the above terms with the prefix 'a'

Suggest you sign up for an Etymology 101 class before you made the above low grade assertion that imply 'atheism' is an ideology that is equivalent to Islam, Nazism, communism, etc.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:00 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So Nazism, fascism, communism had secret temples and holy books?
You were asking about atheism -- lack of belief in any deities. I was contrasting atheism as a very narrow belief position on a single topic, with much broader religious belief-systems supported by authoritarian and ritualistic frameworks that atheism manifestly lacks.

Now you are talking about political ideologies, which have nothing to do with either atheism or theism. I trust you are not suggesting that all nazis, fascists, and communists are atheists, or that those ideologies are dependent on atheism as some sort of foundation. I also trust you are not attempting to assign godliness or godlessness to various political ideologies, or put another way, I hope you are not suggesting that god is a capitalist, or perhaps even a republican.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:30 AM

392 posts, read 248,204 times
"Religion as a Complete Way of Life"

Or vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You were asking about atheism -- lack of belief in any deities.
A- God is life
B- Atheism believes in the existence of life
C- Atheism is the lack of belief in God

If a theist believes in all three statements, it goes against the faith. Atheism can actually be defined by materialistic and theistic practice.

Last edited by overcastg4; 12-06-2015 at 06:44 AM..

Old 12-06-2015, 07:12 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcastg4 View Post
"Religion as a Complete Way of Life"

Or vice versa.

A- God is life
B- Atheism believes in the existence of life
C- Atheism is the lack of belief in God

If a theist believes in all three statements, it goes against the faith. Atheism can actually be defined by materialistic and theistic practice.
Life is life and god is god, so the three statements do not go together. God (as usually discussed here) is "an invisible, all powerful, conscious, intentional agent responsible for the creation and maintenance of the universe and making certain claims of fealty and worship and behavior on humans."

Old 12-06-2015, 07:38 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
I believe Religion as a Complete Way of Life in our modern era is a very ineffective approach to the well being of humanity?

By 'Religion as a Complete Way of Life' I meant one's religion is imperative in every aspects of one's life without exception including politics, social, economics, legal, etc. Currently the only religion that is claiming for this is Islam.

Do you agree/disagree?
Strongly disagree.

If everyone lived the teachings of Islam in their daily life, the world would be a hellhole. Seriously, the religion is not total ****, but is due for a major reform. Hindus also live their daily lives as Hindus, and that caste system is unfortunately a mess, but everyone knows their place.

On the other hand, if Jews and Christians lived their teachings, we would have a more unified and just world. And Buddhists do live the faith, and the countries they inhabit are generally very peaceful.

I sincerely wish there were more marginal Muslims and more active Christians and Jews.

Overcast, believing in the existence of life, is not the same as respecting the value of life. Ask prison wardens if they believe life exists. Then ask them if it's okay to sentence ppl to death. The statement is not a contradiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality