Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 05:54 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times

Advertisements

I don't think humility is a good thing. If you are humble, you may not have the courage to take on difficult tasks.

When I worked doing computer programming for complex statistical applications, there were several projects people avoided because, to be honest, they thought the projects were too difficult. I knew I was very good at doing projects like these, so I had the courage to work on them and I was usually very successful. A truly humble person would have never even had the guts to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 06:14 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I don't think humility is a good thing. If you are humble, you may not have the courage to take on difficult tasks.

When I worked doing computer programming for complex statistical applications, there were several projects people avoided because, to be honest, they thought the projects were too difficult. I knew I was very good at doing projects like these, so I had the courage to work on them and I was usually very successful. A truly humble person would have never even had the guts to try.
I believe you have it backwards as it would be that person that is low key about his above average adeptness skills on computers, who would be humble.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:27 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:

I've read your posts for a couple of years now and acknowledge your knack of patting yourself on the back.

What courage does it take to do a task you are confident in doing successfully?

Offhand, I'd have to vote for "none."

In this instance, I think you're confusing humility with a lack of confidence, or perhaps recognizing one's limitations.

They don't equate.

Lou Gehrig was by all accounts a humble man: an extremely courageous, very gifted, hard-working, humble man.

Who succeeded beyond most people's dreams in work and in life.

There are, and have been, billions of them.

They go to work when they're sick because they don't belong to a union and their children need to be fed and housed.

They try to hold their heads high when they find they must go a food bank once or twice a month to help stretch their budget.

They don't wear designer fashions but they take care of their clothes and are grateful that kind-hearted, better-off folks donate quality clothing to Goodwill, the Salvation Army, and other local, charitable organizations.

I've been on both ends and wish everyone could be. They'd have a better overall perspective on things.

Life is easy when life is easy.

And, as my late, much-lamented Guru might opine: vice versa.

But that's just me, hollering from the south border of Algonquin Park.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:27 PM

It is a façade by someone who comes across with less importance than they purport to be.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:35 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
I think being humble keeps you grounded within yourself, yet continually fuels yourself to be better. Estimating yourself less than what you are is an internal mechanism to help push yourself to new heights.

If one can compartmentalize their own humbleness and use it wisely, I think it's a good thing.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:44 PM

An example of humility would be if you laughed at Trout and myself about our computer skills because we are older guys and don't seem to know much about present technology when in fact we do but we let the insults and snide remarks roll off of us, keeping our cool, meek, that would be humility.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:00 PM

22,148 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:

nope, that is not humbleness
you are describing lack of confidence, or unwillingness to take on challenges, or timidity

those have nothing to do with being humble, they are a misunderstanding of what humble is.
humble is something else altogether.

in the work situation example, let's say a person takes on a project and completes it and it is a smashing success. The person who is humble gives credit to the hard working team, praises others, and does not seek or desire the limelight. The person who is NOT humble makes sure to take credit for the project himself.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
nope, that is not humbleness
you are describing lack of confidence, or unwillingness to take on challenges, or timidity

those have nothing to do with being humble, they are a misunderstanding of what humble is.
humble is something else altogether.
I've met a few war heroes who were truly humble men. They would tell anyone who happened to ask that they went where they were sent and did what they had to do. Then they came home and went on with their lives. No bragging. No swagger. Humble about their accomplishments.

Then there are the Mercury astronauts who sat on top of the lit candle called the Atlas Rocket. Not humble. Swagger. They'd tell you they were the best in the world. They were right. It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Humble has it's place. So does swagger.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:21 PM

22,148 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've met a few war heroes who were truly humble men. They would tell anyone who happened to ask that they went where they were sent and did what they had to do. Then they came home and went on with their lives. No bragging. No swagger. Humble about their accomplishments.
i like hearing the examples people give here of humble they have seen in others

one that stands out for me was when i worked at an elite cardiology specialty hospital, and the President was soft spoken, kind, listened to others, and not only said hi to every employee, he greeted every one of us by name, including the janitor, and the guy who worked in the cafeteria line.

Humble does not have to boast or brag or flaunt their success, their achievements, their possessions, their wealth, their degrees, their awards, or any of that. Humble is being able to say "I'm sorry" and mean it, and say "I made a mistake" or "I was wrong, please forgive me"

thanks for the examples everyone

Old 10-20-2015, 08:27 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Moses had spoken face to face with God ...

John 1:18
No one has ever seen God.

1 John 4:12 No one has seen God at any time.

That puts a damper on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality