Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 08:21 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

please discuss why the character trait of being humble is valued.
How imortant, necessary, valued is it to you?

how can being humble help a person in their ability to grow, learn, advance, and improve the quality of our relationships.
for you what does it mean to be humble, and how important is it for you to cultivate this trait, why or why not.

also how do you distinguish between / what is the difference between / humble and humiliation

thank you everyone for your input

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-16-2015 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 09:03 AM

689 posts, read 494,779 times
I don't think being humble is a good thing if it means others walk all over you. Likewise being arrogant and always thinking you are right isn't laudable either.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:51 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

how can being humble help a person in their ability to grow, learn, advance, and improve the quality of our relationships.
for you what does it mean to be humble, and how important is it for you to cultivate this trait, why or why not.

also how do you distinguish between / what is the difference between / humble and humiliation

I like what C.S. Lewis said about humility: "True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less."

When I read that, I understood for the first time what humility is and what an important trait it really is.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:05 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Whether or not being humble is a "good" thing depends on what is meant by it, imo. In my religious upbringing it meant being constantly aware that I was a sinful wretch deserving of God's wrath, of punishment and of eternal torment. Also anything "good" that I might do was really the equivalent of disgusting filthy rags, unless it somehow was actually God working through me. Not sure how you were supposed to be able to tell the difference between good God stuff and the filthy rag stuff, but just to be on the safe side you would consciously acknowledge to yourself and others that anything "good" you might do or accomplish was really God, not you, because at your core, you were worthless and only what God did in you had worth. That was being humble, as I understood what I was taught, but it was really humiliation rather than humbleness.

Now I would say that being humble simply means knowing that we're all in this together, that we all matter, and that we can learn from each other. It means knowing that I'm not more nor less important than anyone else. It's an acknowledgment that what I think I know about reality is obviously subjective and my unique life experiences have led me to where I am and who I am currently. It would be the opposite of humble to think everyone should come to the same conclusions that I do, have the same beliefs, live their life the same way, etc.

Have others made what I judge to be poor life choices? Since I've not had the same experiences they have had, being humble will allow me to understand that there's no reason to think I would be better at living their lives than they are.

And finally ... I'm here through no effort of my own and the "raw materials" of me and my life aren't something I can take credit for. I can try to make the best of what I have been given, but at the most fundamental level, my very existence was a gift given to me and something I had no control over. That's humbling.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:12 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
I think humility is important in keeping the door to one's mind ajar to let in new light/information/knowledge.

Arrogance often seems the byproduct of a closed mind.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:33 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I like what C.S. Lewis said about humility: "True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less."

When I read that, I understood for the first time what humility is and what an important trait it really is.

That's a good one, Katz. Not easy, but good.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:37 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
To me, "humble" means having a realistic perception of self, as in "I'm fairly intelligent, but there are a lot of people more intelligent." What I do with my intelligence is more important than how great or small it is.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:54 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

Humble keeps one from looking down on others.

Humiliation is not caring about one's reputation.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:04 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Humility allows you to look beyond yourself and more than only be concerned with how things impact you directly. It allows empathy to the other people you encounter daily.

You can see that you share common traits of joy, love, pain, suffering and in turn because you understand where that person is emotionally, you stand a better chance of being able to reach out to them and offer understanding and help if needed.

Humility is growing outside of your own self absorbtion.

Humble people aren't doormats allowing others to walk over them, but instead show quiet strength through their actions and restraint.

Any idiot can scream from the highest rooftop, be offended by anything and everything, and arrogantly demand that people place them on a pedistal.

Humble people instead nurture civilization and cooperation between individuals and promote growth through cooperative work.

As Ronald Reagan said, "It's amazing what can be accomplished when it doesn't matter who gets the credit". or words to that effect if the quote isn't 100% accurate, it still was how I heard it.

Those that demand acclaim for any infintesimal thing they do are so afraid that someone else might get credit for their efforts only demean themselves because while they vainly tell of their accomplishments, they actually do very little to earn them for the most part.

Humble people are the people you can feel good about working with and around. Humble means respect for yourself and others.

Blowhard arrogant people are just a PITA. and humiliation is when the arrogant find out how truly small and unnecessary they really are.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:10 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Largely it is a matter of those who toot their own horns too loudly and too frequently, wind up being despised by their audience.

You can be gracious about things, or you can be a scapegrace. If you opt for the latter, irrespective of you genius or accomplishments, you will be resented.

Humility is a concern for what others will think of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality