Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 02:37 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,982,960 times

Advertisements

Good one.

Do you want to know the funny part? I missed the ferry bit! It's a bit like spelling in with dsairarnegd ltetres. We can still read the words! We hiccup at first but we get it.

I hate my own typo's and dropped words and I keep doing it.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:42 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Good one.

Do you want to know the funny part? I missed the ferry bit! It's a bit like spelling in with dsairarnegd ltetres. We can still read the words! We hiccup at first but we get it.

I hate my own typo's and dropped words and I keep doing it.
English is actually not my first language so I find myself making newbie mistakes. Noun-verb agreement. I get tenses wrong sometimes. And like you I sometimes accidentally leave connecting words out of the sentence all together.

Oh yeah, another funny one was on a sign I saw in the dorms while in college:

"Lost: One heart pendant neckless."

Neckless? Then how can she even wear the damn thing?

Or ... signs in a major supermarket chain: "Angle Food Cake on sale now!"

The same supermarket had "Employees of the Month" pictured and framed in the entrance foyer. Each department had its own Employee of the Month. One of them was "Perishable Employee of the Month." LOL! I wouldn't want THAT award!

Old 10-25-2015, 02:50 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
It makes no sense to even compare Science with Religion.
But, of course it makes sense.

Science is mixing Hydrochloric Acid (HCl) with a Base like Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH), Potassium Hydroxide (KOH), or Calcium Hydroxide (CaOH) and knowing that you will get water (H2O) and a salt, either Sodium Chloride (NaCl), Potassium Chloride (KCl) or Calcium Chloride (CaCl).

That happens all the time, each and every time, wherever you may be in this Universe. Not only are the results predictable without fail 100% of the time, you can know the exact quantity of water and salt produced from the chemical reaction.

Religion is like a woman with a double-mastectomy who prays to the Yahweh-god thing that her breasts will grow back and she'll be healed of cancer, but neither happens and she ends up dead anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I'm a religious person who has the word of a hallucination that some angel spoke to me. You can trust everything I say.
Well, no we can't trust anything about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I'm a scientific person with a corrupt political agenda. I faked the results of my science experiments, and paid other people to make the same findings. Everything I discovered is a fact.
And it will be disproved and you will be outed as a fraud the minute someone attempts to replicate your findings.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:50 PM

Yup. We see some funny ones.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm a scientific person with a corrupt political agenda. I faked the results of my science experiments, and paid other people to make the same findings. Everything I discovered is a fact.
And it will be disproved and you will be outed as a fraud the minute someone attempts to replicate your findings.
But will it be disproved? Have there not been cases of such fraud that have gone undiscovered or undisclosed for a long time?

Have we not had big corporations with employed scientists doing research into the safety or effectiveness of their products and finding in favor of the product?

Old 10-25-2015, 03:13 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
But, of course it makes sense.

Science is mixing Hydrochloric Acid (HCl) with a Base like Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH), Potassium Hydroxide (KOH), or Calcium Hydroxide (CaOH) and knowing that you will get water (H2O) and a salt, either Sodium Chloride (NaCl), Potassium Chloride (KCl) or Calcium Chloride (CaCl).

That happens all the time, each and every time, wherever you may be in this Universe. Not only are the results predictable without fail 100% of the time, you can know the exact quantity of water and salt produced from the chemical reaction.

Religion is like a woman with a double-mastectomy who prays to the Yahweh-god thing that her breasts will grow back and she'll be healed of cancer, but neither happens and she ends up dead anyway.
LOL which is why I said it makes no sense for science to be compared to religion.

It's like comparing apples to bowling balls.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:14 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
The failure is thinking that a description of how some inanimate process works is a commandment that humans do the same.

So some of the greatest scientific minds and the cutting edge sciences of the day for many years (i.e., Eugenics) were all "failure"?

Okay. But what makes the scientists of today so much better? Other than the whole hypocrisy of holding onto illogical things like "human rights" and "compassion" when there is science that needs to be done?

Old 10-25-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
So some of the greatest scientific minds and the cutting edge sciences of the day for many years (i.e., Eugenics) were all "failure"?

Okay. But what makes the scientists of today so much better? Other than the whole hypocrisy of holding onto illogical things like "human rights" and "compassion" when there is science that needs to be done?
LOL! Calling human rights and compassion illogical makes you sound like a 96 year-old Einsatzgruppen SS Officer recalling the glory days of the Holocaust.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
But will it be disproved? Have there not been cases of such fraud that have gone undiscovered or undisclosed for a long time?

Have we not had big corporations with employed scientists doing research into the safety or effectiveness of their products and finding in favor of the product?
Not really ... not for a "long time" at least. Usually what happens is that the hoax or mistake was leaked to the press and suddenly it's headline news. Then the scientific community is loathe to recant because it's bad for PR. So they wait awhile before revealing the hoax or the mistake.

Academia is more political than Capitol Hill.

However, rarely is a scientific premise totally wrong. Often it just needs tweaking and adjusting. Full-on hoaxes and egregiously mistaken "theories" are fairly rare. Too many people are conducting the same tests and experiments independently -- often all over the world -- for everyone to make the SAME mistake or for everyone to be in on the hoax.

Hoaxes are more common in history and archaeology than in theoretical or applied science anyway.

Plus ... a failed experiment is not always a mistake. It failed because the failure was inevitable -- thus failing is still teaching us something. A good example was when some scientists thought that light had to move through something, some kind of medium. So they predicted that there was some kind of "ether" surrounding the planets and the sun that light moved through. Which meant light would have different speeds depending on whether it was traveling with or against the ether. What their experiments actually taught us is that the speed of light is constant and does not change depending on the direction of travel.

Yet it would be super easy for those critical or even hateful of science to scream and holler (figuratively) about how their experiment failed, how science is wrong so often, and how dumb it was to think light had to travel through an ether. (And then the proselytizing would begin).

It's a form of quote mining -- when failed experiments are brought to the surface and showcased as a reason not to trust science. Never mind the fact that the scientific community never accepted the existence of this "ether" and the idea was discarded the moment the tests showed it didn't exist.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:31 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
LOL! Calling human rights and compassion illogical makes you sound like a 96 year-old Einsatzgruppen SS Officer recalling the glory days of the Holocaust.

They are absolutely irrational. But fortunately I actually read some philosophy and can tell you "rational" is not always synonymous with "good".

For example: The Tuskegee Syphilis experiment was perfectly rational. Some preliminary evidence suggested that people of African descent had better resistance to syphilis than Europeans. So an experiment was carried out: black laborers were allowed to go untreated and their reactions were measured against data on the natural course of the disease in untested white people.

Who cares if a lot of them died? That data needed to be obtained. It was SCIENCE! Full steam ahead! They were merely expendable laborers with no real value to the species.

I am not a rationalist however, so I say that was HORRIBLE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskeg...lis_experiment

But I already know what the responds will be:

Religious people do evil things in the name of religion? RELIGION IS EVIL!

Scientists do evil things in the name of science? Ah..well...they were just bad men...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality