Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 10:50 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Their mother must be exceptionally bright.
Based on what? Who she married?

Probably skipped a generation and the kids benefited from their grandparents?

Anyone set up a punnet square and figure the probability?

Old 10-30-2015, 02:45 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Don't have to. My kids are Mensa geniuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Their mother must be exceptionally bright.
She is and so am I. I just don't like to brag about it.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:55 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
It wouldn't matter much if you did.

People do occasionally read your posts and can discern the truth.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:59 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
False hope and lies would only work in the short term. The placebo effect is definitely statistically real, but so is the idea that things that "scientifically work" should surpass a mere equivalency of efficacy with the placebo effect. False hope is beloved by many, but also seen by many as an insult. And an insult can hardly ever "placebo" you to betterment.

We all can do as we see fit if it's not physically damaging to others or other legitimate types of damaging, but we all also have the right to say "we all SHOULD use this cane or we are wrong," and then explain why.
lies are different then false hope. Intentionally deceiving people and trying to help do have different 'life spans". "religion" is really like a boat. when some reach the yonder shore we may not need it ever again. But some do need it the rest of their lives. Dishonest use of a religion as a weapon is bad. Honest use is fine.

I don't do we all have a right to an opinion. that's bs. "my Omni dude" and "there is nothing" are blind faith statements that do not have any observational evidence.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
finding new medicine is not science? wow.

thats like the big toe claiming the pinking aint a body part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Of course it is...it's an applied science.
Science is universal, Medicine is not.

The fact that Medicine might use scientific methods and principles does not make it Science. Psychology, Sociology, History, Geography and some facets of Economics use scientific procedures or methods, but that does not make them Science.

Is there ever a time when Sodium (Na) and Chorline (Cl) does not equal table salt?

No, never.

Is there ever a time when 2 + 2 does not equal 4? No, never.

If Medicine would be Science, then no patient who underwent treatment would ever die.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:09 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Yeah, your posts absolutely drip with intelligence

[/sarcasm]

Old 10-30-2015, 07:22 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

The fact that Medicine might use scientific methods and principles does not make it Science. Psychology, Sociology, History, Geography and some facets of Economics use scientific procedures or methods, but that does not make them Science.

Is there ever a time when Sodium (Na) and Chorline (Cl) does not equal table salt?

No, never.

If Medicine would be Science, then no patient who underwent treatment would ever die.
no patient who underwent treatment would never die. hmmmmm, dont think so. Administering medicine and treating patients is different than reaching cures or studying how things work. I am not so sure the research part is not science. Biomedical research is science to me.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:36 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:

No, never.

Medicine is absolutely science. Have you ever heard of a Clinical Laboratory Scientist? Or a Molecular Diagnostician? Both of these professions work in the medical field and require a scientific degree.

Every test that is used to analyze patient samples uses science to get the result.

Every test performed on patents must go through strict validation protocols to ensure that the test is scientifically sound and robust.

All medical devices work via scientific processes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicine

Quote:
Contemporary medicine applies biomedical sciences, biomedical research, genetics and medical technology to diagnose, treat, and prevent injury and disease, typically through pharmaceuticals or surgery, but also through therapies as diverse as psychotherapy, external splints and traction, prostheses, biologics, and ionizing radiation, amongst others.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:05 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
I would say that medical researchers are scientists, but medical doctors aren't, in the same way physicists are scientists but engineers aren't.

Doctors and engineers are highly skilled technicians, but they typically use the results of scientific research rather than advance scientific knowledge.

Medicine would definitely be a science based field. The fact that things don't always go perfectly would be caused by everyone's biology being different. Our unique combination of height, weight, gender, allergies, health levels, diet, age, etc is going to mean that every medical treatment or drug is going to react just a bit differently on every person. Given enough DNA mapping and data collection on a person's exact physiology it should be possible to predict things more accurately, but we aren't there quite yet.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:33 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:

No, never.

Not an exact science or a pure science, like what you note in comparison...but an applied science, and thus science nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality