Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:32 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,324,373 times

Advertisements

I've heard many different reasons people believe in a higher power they call God. So I'm curious as to why people on here actually believe.

I feel a lot of people are "scared" not to believe just in case something is real and they fear what could actually if they don't believe. Meaning in reality, they don't really feel there is a God but are scared not to believe. That's how I was for awhile.

Alot of people believe simply because their parents brought them along to church from a young age and no nothing different. Therefore they've been brought up to believe.

Others claim they've witnessed miracles, and God has spoken to them.

So I'm curious, your thoughts, stories, etc...

And just for the record, I don't believe in a "higher power" or "God". I was raised Catholic and eventually realized that I just simply didn't believe. I personally think that religion is man made and made up. It causes nothing but problems and gives false hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 05:42 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I've heard many different reasons people believe in a higher power they call God. So I'm curious as to why people on here actually believe.

I feel a lot of people are "scared" not to believe just in case something is real and they fear what could actually if they don't believe. Meaning in reality, they don't really feel there is a God but are scared not to believe. That's how I was for awhile.

Alot of people believe simply because their parents brought them along to church from a young age and no nothing different. Therefore they've been brought up to believe.

And just for the record, I don't believe in a "higher power" or "God". I was raised Catholic and eventually realized that I just simply didn't believe. I personally think that religion is man made and made up. It causes nothing but problems and gives false hope.
My observation is that most who believe do so out of personal experience with God. Yet as you suggest it is true some do so out of fear or habit. I feel sorry for them and hope that the will find a relationship with God.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:54 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times
I believe in a creator because it's logical. I believe in the Christian God because Christianty makes sense to me (God reaching down to man, etc.).

Old 01-25-2016, 06:56 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Miracles in my life. An immense yearning to pray from the time i was a very small child. Nothing else explained or addressed with such depth and precision exactly what was happening in my life in a way that was personal, individual, wise, loving, gentle, vast, kind, practical, intelligent, generous, responsive, interactive, and caring.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-25-2016 at 07:43 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 07:04 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I believe in a creator because it's logical. I believe in the Christian God because Christianty makes sense to me (God reaching down to man, etc.).
It makes sense to you that a being who supposedly created a universe made up of billions of galaxies and sextillions of stars is concerned with a human male? Really?

Well, I guess that should make humans feel kind of important, huh?

Old 01-25-2016, 07:10 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It makes sense to you that a being who supposedly created a universe made up of billions of galaxies and sextillions of stars is concerned with a human male? Really?

Well, I guess that should make humans feel kind of important, huh?
Yes. Why not? The Christian God wants to interact with His creation.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:38 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:

You realized at some point that you just didn't believe. You evidently couldn't force yourself to believe when it made no sense to you. Well, I'm just the opposite. I believe and I can't simply stop believing because somebody else thinks I should. Just two sides of the same coin.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:26 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Many on this board don't believe. I'm one of them. Many do believe.

I don't think most of the theists here are closet doubters who believe mostly out of fear of retribution. I give them more credit than that. Such a state could be potentially a temporary transitional state for a fundamentalist on their way out the door, of course, as it apparently was for you. But it's not really a sustainable state of affairs. Most people seek a steady state, emotionally and psychologically.

Rather, in my experience theists are and remain believers for a variety of reasons depending on their dogma of choice and their psychological makeup. For a literalist / inerrantist that usually involves being very careful not to pay attention to facts or arguments that are contrary to their beliefs. One has to remember that the vast majority of them wouldn't be caught dead here in this forum arguing with atheists in the first place. Most are content to stay within their echo chamber.

What would be a more interesting and to my knowledge as yet unasked question for believers here is why are they in the minority of believers who would come here and discuss theological matters online -- particularly with people of other religions or no religion, rather than confining themselves to one of the many Christians-only discussion sites, where never is heard a discouraging word?

Old 01-26-2016, 12:28 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,084,540 times
I know that I was born without being asked and my life will end when my time is up. And no matter what I do, I won't be able to stop it. This is a fact !!

I also know that no human is exception to this rule. Yes, some babies are born dead but they do start with a heartbeat or sometimes even with a single living cell - so our life spans are different; however, we cannot stop the start of our lives and neither can we stop our departure.

What does it tell me?
Someone else is in control of our arrival n our departure.

This cannot be by chance that everyone is born without will, and everyone tastes death whether he likes it or not. There should have been at least ONE HUMAN on earth who was an exception to this rule IF we are playing the game of chance and probability.

Do the math, the odds of winning the powerball are 1 in 292 million, and someone matches the exact same numbers every few weeks. That is the chance and probability game in a sample size of 1 in 292 million in a couple of weeks.

Here u r talking about a huge sample size of 1 in 7 billion over centuries, yet there isn't a single exception where someone was asked before he was sent to earth or someone who doesn't die. Absolutely no exception !!

So yes, someone else is in control - and that definitely is God.

And if there is a God then the question is, why did he send me to earth and what's the purpose of my life before my time is up on earth? He gave me resources, intelligence and energy, abilities to learn skills, and potential to do what's beneficial to others -- for what?

Then there is a question of, which God?
Every religion and faith system claims to be following the true God.

This is where one must use his own intelligence and his own research to examine the holy text of every religion to find out what talks to him?

There is no use of indulging into the argument of "My God is the right one while yours is the wrong one".

The call to God must come from within. You can't and you should not try to drill it in someone's brain.

If the person feels the need of God, then let him find God on his own. And yes, you should always try to answer if someone asks questions about your faith to know more. But that's different from enforcing your believes on them.

We all have found our truths and we are sticking to it.

We have made our choices based on free will. And in the end, we will be responsible for our choices.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:26 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
God give here daily miracle which cleanses the evil spirit out which can causes pain and heaviness right out of my body , as every time I pray this prayer of the authority of the believer Jesus spirit moves these evil spirit out of my body ...... like just yesterday I was eating and got the hiccups , so I prayed the cleansing prayer in Jesus name and the hiccups disappears after two hiccups , not the usually ten or more , but only two ........... See God is alive on my life and even the church were I attend , how could I not believe ..... The church were I go is an evangelical fellowship church
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality