Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 02:40 PM

583 posts, read 712,704 times

Advertisements

I hope the photo uploaded. I want to know if science has truly changed the way it has looked at things and are now looking at things from the Bible's standpoint, or do you think it's a load of crap. The picture should show you what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Religion Vs. Science-religionvsscience.jpg  

Last edited by CinnaBunney; 10-16-2015 at 02:58 PM..

Old 10-16-2015, 02:49 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,213,425 times
The Bible is not teaching science. End of story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ReV0nCuObcs

Old 10-16-2015, 02:52 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
I hope the photo uploaded. I want to know if science has truly changed the way they have looked at things and are now looking at things from the Bible's standpoint. The picture should show you what I mean.
Actually, "science" as we know it today, really started with the "scientific method" around the 1800s and doesn't really have to do with guessing how many stars there are or originally agreeing with Genesis that the earth is a flat disk with a firmament holding the water above the sky from falling down when it doesn't rain.

Empiricalism and studies have had a spurious and copious use throughout known history, and science is deeply developed upon both.

Ancient ideas sometimes deemed "science" by critics of modern science (such as the "four humors" and "four elements") weren't really science, they were conjectures based on some observations though, but they were missing important data, just like various writers and editers of religiously venerated scriptures, who paint different pictures with their thousands of words depending on how they saw fit, because of their human fallibility to be religious and sometimes unthoughtful, causing great pain.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:01 PM

583 posts, read 712,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Actually, "science" as we know it today, really started with the "scientific method" around the 1800s and doesn't really have to do with guessing how many stars there are or originally agreeing with Genesis that the earth is a flat disk with a firmament holding the water above the sky from falling down when it doesn't rain.

Empiricalism and studies have had a spurious and copious use throughout known history, and science is deeply developed upon both.

Ancient ideas sometimes deemed "science" by critics of modern science (such as the "four humors" and "four elements") weren't really science, they were conjectures based on some observations though, but they were missing important data, just like various writers and editers of religiously venerated scriptures, who paint different pictures with their thousands of words depending on how they saw fit, because of their human fallibility to be religious and sometimes unthoughtful, causing great pain.
So do you follow what is written in the Bible or are you more so for science? I would take it a step further and ask if you're more into creationalist way of thinking or evolutionist way of thinking, but I'm not sure how you would respond, so.....

Old 10-16-2015, 03:06 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,168 times
That list is bunk.
Much of what is listed in 'science then' is not accurate.
For example...
Science never said the world was flat, a philosophical writer was the one who started that. Not much time after that a Greek mathematician calculated the earths -circumphrance- and was only off by about 200 miles.
Stars, the number quoted is likely from the star catalogs that the ancient Babylonians and Greeks. The number comes quite close to the number of stars that were identified as parts of the many constellations. Not all stars are part of a constellation so not entered into the catalogs.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:10 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post

Apparently, neither is "science" a lot of time.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:11 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
That list is bunk.
Much of what is listed in 'science then' is not accurate.
For example...
Science never said the world was flat, a philosophical writer was the one who started that. Not much time after that a Greek mathematician calculated the earths -circumphrance- and was only off by about 200 miles.
Stars, the number quoted is likely from the star catalogs that the ancient Babylonians and Greeks. The number comes quite close to the number of stars that were identified as parts of the many constellations. Not all stars are part of a constellation so not entered into the catalogs.
It was commonly accepted by many....but not because the Bible teaches it.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,709 times
So tackling the propaganda bullet points one by one:

well-educated Ancient Egyptians knew/postulated that the Earth was a sphere based on their measurements and observation of effects in the horizon.

Some stars are more visible than others, comets randomly appear, and 1100 is probably an innumerable measurement to many ancient people (although I don't think so, so I'm not sure where such a low estimate would come from), especially people for whom the word “star” and “angel” or “god” might have been the same (ancient Hebrews or Greeks I believe).

Many ancient people knew that air has weight based on measuring different air containing pockets under water and the fact that air condenses in the cold and can be blown in and out like it exists in weight (force).

well-educated Ancient Summerians knew that some stars are different, hence why they obviously look different upon even partial inspection (some are orange, like Mars, some are really big like Jupiter).

Probably every ancient assumed that light moved, otherwise there wouldn’t be lightning (which many probably thought was a force/weapon of pure condensed light) and they wouldn’t see a fire light up or be blocked from sight by something.

If the Moon, Sun and Stars are obviously seen freely float and go under the Earth, why wouldn’t the Earth float above them when they are down there? Even less educated Ancient Egyptians thought that the Sun went under the Earth and there was another world (the underworld of perfection) on the other side.

Many ancient people were aware of “unstraight” winds of tornados, and even “unstraight” currents or whirl pools.

Anyone measuring even just outside of the beach will find small nonfat formations, small cliffs, and sailors could find islands with their mountains continuing past the water level, another reason why they looked for safe harbors.

Some few diseases reside in the blood and bleeding actually ameliorates them, since blood is replaced from the bone marrow. However, bleeding became a snake-oil sales men trick to earn a living from unaware and desperate people.

Atoms were theorized (i.e. we have written evidence of that) by Ancient Greeks and Ancient Hindus. And air is mostly invisible and was deemed as one of the “four basic elements" by pre-scientific method thinkers. The smallest drop of water would also be invisible, as would the smallest part of Earth, and the smallest flame. Ancient people were aware of this.

People knew about water springs on land and whirl pools sucking water down below seas, so why wouldn’t they be aware of the likelihood of underwater springs?

Old 10-16-2015, 03:20 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Apparently, neither is "science" a lot of time.
Nonsensical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It was commonly accepted by many....but not because the Bible teaches it.

It was not accepted nor touted by any scientist ever.

It was a Middle Ages myth. No different than the bible myth of that era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth

Old 10-16-2015, 03:24 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,980,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ReV0nCuObcs
It doesn't? No, the bible doesn't but proponents of the bible do often assert that science is false and that the bible rules.

P.S. I once thought the earth was flat and that things fell down. I even asked my Dad if things fell off the edge of the earth. Hey, I was a preschooler and that's the way it seemed to me. I wasn't tall enough then to discern the curvature of the horizon.

Last edited by 303Guy; 10-16-2015 at 03:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality