Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 12:08 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,981,700 times

Advertisements

I'm a confirmed Lutheran and Martin Luther condoned prostitutes. Or so I was taught. It was somewhere in the bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 10:44 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I'm a confirmed Lutheran and Martin Luther condoned prostitutes. Or so I was taught. It was somewhere in the bible.
That's interesting - I hadn't heard that one, but I'm not very knowledgeable on Luther. There is a quote that floats around the web from him:
The word and works of God is quite clear, that women were made either to be wives or prostitutes.
(Luther's Commentary on I Corinthians 7 - see below)
It may be out of context. He is railing against those "rascals" who proclaim to follow Paul's wishes that one be celibate, yet are the least celibate of anyone - frequenting brothels. In his typical misogynistic way, he sees women as being created for one purpose: marriage, and not merely for sex. He then seemingly says that if women are unable to have sex within marriage, their only other option is unfortunately fornication, or prostitution. He says:
But since God’s work and Word stare us in the face, declaring that women must be used either for marriage or for fornication, these heathenish pretenders should shut their blasphemous mouths and leave God’s Word and work uncriticized and unhampered; unless perhaps they would like to teach us according to their own famed sagacity and contrary to God that all women should be strangled or banished. This would make a fine fool of God: what He does is no good; what we do is well done. [LW 28:5]
(From Beggars All: Reformation And Apologetics: Luther: Women were made either to be wives or prostitutes, which has more information)

So it doesn't seem as if he is condoning prostitution as such - merely hinting that one's biological urges should lead one to marriage - contra the "celibates" who appeal to Paul - rather than fornication.

I'm glad you brought that up, it was an interesting tidbit - if not a bit misogynistic. Is this the quote you may have heard>?

Old 11-01-2015, 08:28 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,044,506 times
Hey ---- Solomon knew what he was talking about.

(this Proverb was probably written after he killed Uriah and got busted for nailing Bathsheba).

Old 11-02-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Hey ---- Solomon knew what he was talking about.

(this Proverb was probably written after he killed Uriah and got busted for nailing Bathsheba).
Heh, I hope Solomon didn't conceive himself - you're thinking of that rascal David.
But yes, Solomon was certainly ... "fluent" in the knowledge of women.

Besides that, the actual "Solomonic" proverbs begin in chapter 10 - we don't really know who collected the various teachings and maxims beginning in 1:8 after the editorial introduction, and running up to chapter 10.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:46 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,044,506 times
Oh Jesus...you are RIGHT!

bahahaaa!

Oh well, i was close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Heh, I hope Solomon didn't conceive himself - you're thinking of that rascal David.
But yes, Solomon was certainly ... "fluent" in the knowledge of women.

Besides that, the actual "Solomonic" proverbs begin in chapter 10 - we don't really know who collected the various teachings and maxims beginning in 1:8 after the editorial introduction, and running up to chapter 10.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Oh Jesus...you are RIGHT!

bahahaaa!

Oh well, i was close.
Ha ha what's a generation between friends?
Throw Mary into the mix, and you have the makings of some later Christian theologies where God fathered himself.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:47 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,981,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
That's interesting - I hadn't heard that one, but I'm not very knowledgeable on Luther. ...

I'm glad you brought that up, it was an interesting tidbit - if not a bit misogynistic. Is this the quote you may have heard>?
I don't think so. It was something about visiting prostitutes and not wasting the seed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality