Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 06:28 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,964,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Can you imagine an eternity of this discussion? Heaven's starting to look less attractive.
No, that would be Hell.

Heaven will be when everyone agrees with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 06:58 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,216,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
No, that would be Hell.

Sounds like a blast.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:24 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,424,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
God is the Source of all life throughout our reality because God is life. If science discovers HOW God established life that would be nice. Since He obviously DID IT, there has to be a way that it was accomplished.
Just saying "god is life" is not saying much. Nor is saying "god is the source of all life". Either way you are just relabelling things to suit yourself. And contradicting yourself while you do it because if "god" is the source of "all" life and "is life" at the same time - then you are declaring god to be the source of itself. A nice tangle of nonsense.

We have a very good idea - due to our science - of the likely pathways through which life arose on our planet. But we are still ignorant of how it actually did happen. Simply saying "god is the source of life" therefore is merely to define "god" as being a placeholder term for our ignorance in the face of complexity.

Which is at least historically consistent given how god very much has been defined time and time again in terms of an ever receding wealth of human ignorance. Why did a storm come and destroy all the crops - or the hovels and shelters - well god did it - the placeholder term for our ignorance over weather patterns and causes on our planet. Why did my best friend fall over and start foaming at the mouth and gyrating? God or demons got into him - the place holder terms for our ignorance over conditions like epilepsy that disrupt the brain and the emergent consciousness that comes from it.

But you do not simply stop at labelling our ignorance with "god" - you personify that ignorance with intentions - design - intelligence - and consciousness. And you have not evidenced one bit that any such creature was involved in the creation of life on our planet or anywhere else.

I am sure you will agree however - on a side note - that the complexity of DNA is only a problem to our limited human ability to comprehend it. No more. The complexity however is often put forward be theists and science deniers as being objectively a problem for the processes of evolution itself. It is not - but it is amazing how many minds the creationist can win over by suggesting it is.

Complexity is only an issue for evolution if it can be shown that the complexity could not have arisen incrementally. And though a few people have had a good old college try - Micheal Behe being the most well known of the small vocal bunch - they have entirely failed.

The only reasons people think those like Behe succeeded are A) They really want to think so so they do or B) They make a very common lay man error in assuming that when evaluating the evolutionary pathway of a structure existing today - that the purpose that structure serves today must have been the same since the beginning. Blood Clotting is a prime example here the likes of Behe latched on to and way royally schooled on in places like Denver.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:41 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,721 times
Quote:
Then I will choose to live in Hell.

Can you imagine how long this discussion group would last if we all said the same thing?

Old 10-29-2015, 09:08 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to have to tell you this yet again but what you stated above in no way proves humans evolved from the single cell. The other day you said you had verifiable proof. I asked you to post that proof. Why have you not posted it? Because there is none. All you can do is castigate the one not agreeing with you and hope that is proof enough.

Yes, you Lucy fans will one day be saved as well. And I look forward to that day when we are no longer at odds over these things and are all hand-in-hand brothers.

P.S. Lucy was created by God the way she was. She didn't evolve. And it is faith-based to say humans evolved from her type since there is no verifiable proof of that. It is just a scientist's say-so.
"The other day you said you had verifiable proof."

Did I? Which post, please. Or did you adapt what I say to enable you to demand a mass of evidence that you could dismiss out of hand - as you always do - and then claim that there is no evidence?
I look forward to the day when you stop your denial and accept evidence rather than faith. And you ought to know by now that baseless faith claims about God made everything that way accomplishes nothing than providing bias confirmation, I suppose.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
"The other day you said you had verifiable proof."
See post //www.city-data.com/forum/41718555-post314.html 314.

I asked for verifiable proof and you stated you had proof. That means you had verifiable proof.

Quote:
Did I? Which post, please. Or did you adapt what I say to enable you to demand a mass of evidence that you could dismiss out of hand - as you always do - and then claim that there is no evidence?
I look forward to the day when you stop your denial and accept evidence rather than faith. And you ought to know by now that baseless faith claims about God made everything that way accomplishes nothing than providing bias confirmation, I suppose.
And you ought to know by how that baseless faith claims that we got here by evolution accomplishes nothing than providing bias confirmation, I suppose.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:09 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,165 times
Quote:
Umm, what does going to a doctor have to do with the complexity of DNA and the problem of mutations?
Not all doctors believe in evolution nor all scientists. And the more we learn about DNA the more we are understanding that the current, always changing, status of evolution is a farce to be discarded on the trash heap of yet another theory by proper scientific research.

It has to do with the fact that the more educated one is , the more likely one is to believe in evolution , especially the professions that deal in biology for a living . The less educated one is, the more likely that person is to insist evolution is a farce.

It also has to do with the fact that if a family member of yours life was on the line and you had to depend upon the science of genetics and biology to heal them , I seriously doubt you would be making such dumbass remarks about how evolution is a farce . We would find you to be grateful for the science that you now make glib and stupid remarks about.

And no one with any sort of honesty or intelligence would claim that evolution is about to be cast on the trash heap. Statements like this from you just convince me more that you are actually someone engaged in a subversive and humorous campaign to make Christians look stupid.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
It has to do with the fact that the more educated one is , the more likely one is to believe in evolution , especially the professions that deal in biology for a living . The less educated one is, the more likely that person is to insist evolution is a farce.
That statement above is not based on real-world understanding. Some of the brightest minds in the world see the farcety in evolution and have discarded it. Antony Flew for one. A Change of Mind for Antony Flew

Quote:
It also has to do with the fact that if a family member of yours life was on the line and you had to depend upon the science of genetics and biology to heal them , I seriously doubt you would be making such dumbass remarks about how evolution is a farce . We would find you to be grateful for the science that you now make glib and stupid remarks about.
Sorry to have to inform you but a doctor's abilities are not based on his understanding of evolution.

Quote:
And no one with any sort of honesty or intelligence would claim that evolution is about to be cast on the trash heap. Statements like this from you just convince me more that you are actually someone engaged in a subversive and humorous campaign to make Christians look stupid.
And it is my opinion you are engaged in a subversive and humorous campaign to make evolutionists look stupid.

Yes, evolution will be cast on the trash heap as just another failed attempt by man to try to understand his beginnings.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:53 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,368 times
Quote:
Yes, evolution will be cast on the trash heap as just another failed attempt by man to try to understand his beginnings.
Quite the opposite is occurring. The only thing that is constantly being cast out to the trash heap are un-evolved beliefs such as the ones you tout.

It's a good thing that the types of beliefs that you fancy are on their way towards eradication.

You just have not caught up...you are still in the Bronze Age.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Quite the opposite is occurring. The only thing that is constantly being cast out to the trash heap are un-evolved beliefs such as the ones you tout.

It's a good thing that the types of beliefs that you fancy are on their way towards eradication.

You just have not caught up...you are still in the Bronze Age.
No, actually evolution is proving to be untennable. More and more scientists are questioning it. It will be discarded. I doubt it will be replaced with the true understanding that God created evrything since mankind has a penchant for running from God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality