Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 10:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Just like you and your friends never miss an opportunity to dump on Christians, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 11:56 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
The same could be said for Columbus Day parades also or even 4th of July parades.you don't see any real Native Americans participating in any of those.
Who gets to define who a "real" Native American is?

Old 10-25-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Forgive him, Vizio simply doesn't know what he is talking about. If he does know, it seems he wishes to put the negatives under the rug and highlight the minuscule amount of good, although forgetting that that good was likely done for selfish reasons (to align further with imagined greatest power, by being it's wild beasts of burden).
Or maybe Christianity doesn't actually teach us to do any of those horrible things. Maybe hypocritical people claiming the name of Christ did them, while not actually adhering to the teachings of Jesus.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Neither is Christianity -- which is the entire REASON why our government must remain secular.

It is why jackass politicians like Huckabee will say stupid things like "The Supreme Court isn't the Supreme Being" and why so many cases involving religion end up in the Supreme Court because of Constitutional violations.

In addition, NONE of our Constitutional rights come from the Bible. In fact, many of our rights are in direct conflict with Biblical views.
I preached a sermon today on 1 Peter 2:13-17 where we are commanded to be good citizens, obeying the law and honoring the rulers above us. That's what Christianity teaches.

I'm not sure a good Muslim who embraces Shariah Law would agree with me on that. Do you?

Old 10-26-2015, 06:15 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times
Quote:
You mean a law that is highly open to interpretation.
No. Not at all. What gives you that idea?

Old 10-26-2015, 06:36 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
I suspect you will ignore this like you do all arguments that don't go with your agenda, but....

Police are GOVERNMENT employees, and as such, should not show favoritism towards a certain religion, or even religion in general. Not that you or your ilk care, but not everyone is religious, and having In God We Trust on the police vehicles clearly show a bias towards religion.
That is not what the Amendment is about...

Old 10-26-2015, 06:41 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Maybe you should go back and read my post. Since I know you won't I'll copy it here for you.

"Police are GOVERNMENT employees, and as such, should not show favoritism towards a certain religion, or even religion in general. Not that you or your ilk care, but not everyone is religious, and having In God We Trust on the police vehicles clearly show a bias towards religion."

Check the bolded parts to see why your post is nonsense. Nowhere did I say a certain religion was being endorsed, and nowhere did I say it is illegal.
Why does our congress open with prayer?...

Old 10-26-2015, 06:47 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
No. Not at all. What gives you that idea?
The Supreme Court who constantly has to hear cases regarding this law and revise their interpretation.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:41 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Just like you and your friends never miss an opportunity to dump on Christians, right?

When I have dumped on Christians? Give some real examples. You have made this accusation against me before without being able to back it up with a single example. You have even accused me of not caring if a Christian got killed. Just because I will debate your narrow views of who should have rights and who should not does not mean I attack Christians. That you happen to be a Christian and you and Vizio are the only ones I really debate on gays and discrimination and Euebius on evolution and geology does not mean that I never miss an opportunity to dump on Christians.

I know none of the other people on this forum. If you go to all the threads about Christianity you will find zero posts by me mocking or dumping on Christians. You will find when I have posted against bad ideas of some people who are Christains and it is very sad that you make no effort to tell the difference.

I do not really expect you to even try to come up with a single example. Your world view is that everyone is out to get Christians even other Christians.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:42 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Wrong.

We cannot mandate a state religion, as in organizations connected with the state cannot as a rule make them put that on their car. The issue of the bureaucrat not allowing gay marriages is that she was making it policy not to allow marriages.

But state officials are still people, and can personally express their beliefs. That is, forbidding government officials to choose to have that on their vehicles would be making atheism into a state "religion", while forcing them to have it is making Christianity state religion. I have a pendant I wear, working at a library (this is, very loosely, a public sector job). Nobody can forbid me from wearing it, state employee or not. Religious expression is free to all not just private sector. You just can't force the officers to drive that vehicle.

You cannot force people to say the pledge of allegiance a certain way. In fact, you should teach the pledge of allegiance both ways, then ask them to join however feels right to them.
I have the key word bolded there for you Bulma. They can PERSONALLY express their beliefs all they want. Putting a slogan on a police car is not PERSONAL. In fact, unless the officers bought them with their own money, they are using tax money to promote religion. That is not okay.

You say you can't force them to drive the vehicles, but let me ask you, would a cop have a job if he refused to drive a cop car? You are so wrong on this post it makes me lol.

Quote:
No, the equivalent would be a slogan like "IN Man We Trust". That's stating a personal belief, not making a statement directed at the public. Good WIthout God would be a direct offensive message saying that life can't be good with God. You're the one who seems to have a hard time understanding here.
If saying Good Without God means life can't be good WITH God, then please explain to me what In God We Trust means? Does it mean you can't trust those who don't trust God? Does it mean life can't be good without god?

You seem to have a super human ability, or inability in this case, to see past your own prejudice and bias. You can't say one is offensive, while claiming the other isn't. That is ridiculous and very intellectually dishonest. Which granted, I should expect from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality