Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 04:19 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
So I am now just imagining reality?
Yes. Exactly.

Removing religious slogans from Government institutions or employees (like police and police cars) is NOT "spending so much time and resources to knock religion out of communities."

So imagining reality is exactly what you are at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 04:29 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That reminds me of a Twilight Zone show where aliens come to Earth and have a book titled "To Serve Mankind". Do you remember what that means?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSj3smZIjmc
IT'S A COOK BOOK!

One of the great moments in television if you ask me.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:53 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Originally a Sci Fi short story. Read it as a spacecrazy teen.
What did he mean with 'we'll all be on the menu?' Is it just a meaningless 'perhaps there's some alien monster out there' line to instil shivers or does it have a more sinister meaning?

Old 10-28-2015, 06:00 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Originally a Sci Fi short story. Read it as a spacecrazy teen.
What did he mean with 'we'll all be on the menu?' Is it just a meaningless 'perhaps there's some alien monster out there' line to instil shivers or does it have a more sinister meaning?
I took it as literally stated, that he's only marginally less fortunate than those still on earth because the alien's ultimate goal is to serve them ALL. I have to say though that suddenly doing an aside to the camera is an unusual plot device. The only other major example I can think of is Oliver Hardy's conspiratorial Gaze of Disgust at the camera whenever Stan Laurel did something particularly vexingly stupid.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:04 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Technically, the 1st Amendment says nothing about teacher-led prayer in school, except that Congress has no right to limit it.
That's certainly one opinion. Legal professionals disagree, but what do they know?

Old 10-28-2015, 08:06 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,385,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
That's certainly one opinion. Legal professionals disagree, but what do they know?
Well, they obviously know less than a preacher from a small town congregation....

Old 10-28-2015, 08:11 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Difficult to mend the actual words. The phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear in the Constitution at all.
The word trinity doesn't appear in the Bible and yet I'm sure you believe in that. A lack of a specific phrase doesn't mean the concept is missing.

Having to resort to lame word games like this doesn't make your case any stronger. How about addressing some actual case law and explaining specifically how the Supreme Court got it wrong all those times?

Old 10-28-2015, 09:27 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I took it as literally stated, that he's only marginally less fortunate than those still on earth because the alien's ultimate goal is to serve them ALL. I have to say though that suddenly doing an aside to the camera is an unusual plot device. The only other major example I can think of is Oliver Hardy's conspiratorial Gaze of Disgust at the camera whenever Stan Laurel did something particularly vexingly stupid.
Then maybe it's just me that's paranoid. I hear three layers of meaning in addition to 'The aliens will be coming fore you next'.

'The commies could be invading any day'.
'One day, we'll all be facing death'.
'Evey one of us will come to be judged...make sure you're right with God.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
The word trinity doesn't appear in the Bible and yet I'm sure you believe in that. A lack of a specific phrase doesn't mean the concept is missing.

Having to resort to lame word games like this doesn't make your case any stronger. How about addressing some actual case law and explaining specifically how the Supreme Court got it wrong all those times?
It is telling, isn't it, how we goddless bastards have to explain all the time, when the true believers can make a perfectly good case out of denial and craftiness.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:19 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Technically, the 1st Amendment says nothing about teacher-led prayer in school, except that Congress has no right to limit it. But don't let facts get in the way!
So let the Muslim teacher lead prayers in the morning, Buddhist in the after noon and christian at dismissal..

Old 10-28-2015, 10:26 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,385,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So let the Muslim teacher lead prayers in the morning, Buddhist in the after noon and christian at dismissal..
Oh no, they don't want the teacher led prayers to be of Muslim or Buddhist origin! They only want THEIR religion represented. They would throw a hissy fit if a school allowed a Muslim to lead a prayer. People like Jeff and Vizio do not believe in freedom of religion, they believe in freedom for THEIR religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality