Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 10:29 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Honestly, I think the response resonates with a lot of Americans. Being polite and meek gets a person walked all over.

Do I think we should be intentionally rude and condescending? No. But I don't believe this letter from the Police Chief was condescending. It was direct and to the point.
Be like Jesus or be like Ted Bundy?

Seriously? You just said Jesus is an idiot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 07:01 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Then maybe it's just me that's paranoid. I hear three layers of meaning in addition to 'The aliens will be coming fore you next'.

'The commies could be invading any day'.
'One day, we'll all be facing death'.
'Evey one of us will come to be judged...make sure you're right with God.'
It could very well be a failure of imagination on my part. Certainly, that you see these layers, whether or not they were the intent of the original artistic team, suggests that the story effectively taps into various associations and fears that people have.

Perhaps the story was written as an allegory on the general theme that if something seems too good to be true, it almost certainly is ... and that people who subscribe uncritically to such things, particularly when it involves giving away personal autonomy and power, will eventually rue the day. I know I rue the day I subscribed uncritically to the truth claims of Christianity.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:22 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It could very well be a failure of imagination on my part. Certainly, that you see these layers, whether or not they were the intent of the original artistic team, suggests that the story effectively taps into various associations and fears that people have.

Perhaps the story was written as an allegory on the general theme that if something seems too good to be true, it almost certainly is ... and that people who subscribe uncritically to such things, particularly when it involves giving away personal autonomy and power, will eventually rue the day. I know I rue the day I subscribed uncritically to the truth claims of Christianity.

The original sci fi story was a not uncommon idea. taking the double meaning of 'serve man' (I read one about a Demon queen who asked a burly peasant if he would 'Serve her"...and he did ) and turning it into a story. It ends with the punch line. The film version added the cell scene with trying to fatten the victim up and the remarks to the audience. It may have more to do with the requirements of TV shows and I may be reading too much into it. In these days of subtle propaganda, I keep running a file across my mental hair -trigger...

Old 10-29-2015, 01:47 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Oh no, they don't want the teacher led prayers to be of Muslim or Buddhist origin! They only want THEIR religion represented. They would throw a hissy fit if a school allowed a Muslim to lead a prayer. People like Jeff and Vizio do not believe in freedom of religion, they believe in freedom for THEIR religion.
Correct. When a conservative Christian speaks of "freedom of religion" they really mean the freedom for their religion to reign supreme over all other religions.

That's because THEIR religion is The Truth and all other religions are from the Devil. Giving freedom to other religions is giving freedom the Devil.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:50 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Be like Jesus or be like Ted Bundy?

Seriously? You just said Jesus is an idiot!

Nah....I don't believe I did. Can you show me that?

Old 10-29-2015, 02:12 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Correct. When a conservative Christian speaks of "freedom of religion" they really mean the freedom for their religion to reign supreme over all other religions.

That's because THEIR religion is The Truth and all other religions are from the Devil. Giving freedom to other religions is giving freedom the Devil.
Yes, exactly. If the roles were reversed, and this was an atheist cop putting Good Without God on cop cars, they would be flipping their lid. In fact, Jeff has even showed how biased and hypocritical he is on this very thread. Saying that Good Without God was insulting to Christians, while In God We Trust was not insulting to non believers. In fact, he even said that GWG was saying "Jesus sucks, and life can only be good without God". IGWT is simply saying "Hey, we believe in God". Talk about not seeing past your nose....

Old 10-29-2015, 07:21 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Nah....I don't believe I did. Can you show me that?
QUOTE--
Being polite and meek gets a person walked all over

Jesus tells us the MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

There for Jesus is an idiot for telling us to be meek

Your congregation is either deaf and bl;ind, or laughing throughout those sermons...

Old 10-29-2015, 07:44 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
QUOTE--
Being polite and meek gets a person walked all over

Jesus tells us the MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

There for Jesus is an idiot for telling us to be meek

Your congregation is either deaf and bl;ind, or laughing throughout those sermons...
Scariest part is that they believe the message.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:50 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Yes, exactly. If the roles were reversed, and this was an atheist cop putting Good Without God on cop cars, they would be flipping their lid. In fact, Jeff has even showed how biased and hypocritical he is on this very thread. Saying that Good Without God was insulting to Christians, while In God We Trust was not insulting to non believers. In fact, he even said that GWG was saying "Jesus sucks, and life can only be good without God". IGWT is simply saying "Hey, we believe in God". Talk about not seeing past your nose....
I perfectly explained the difference. Sadly, you must be incapable of understanding.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:25 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
It's interesting how there would be a nationwide hysteria if this were reversed and it was an atheist motto. You can see this in cases like the atheist placard that was put up in Olympia. A lot of religious people broke down into raging lunacy over the matter but then had no qualms with the inordinate amount of billboards that promote the hell for unbelievers concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality