Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 01:08 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It was perfectly understandable as the hoary old accusation makes us groan as much as "Millions would not die for a lie", "Stalin was an atheist" and 'Jesus is attested by Josephus, Tacitus, Pliny, Suetonius, Thallia, Phlegon, Bar -Serapeon..."

There are those that I don't believe you would use (though I have seen them, one quite recently) such as Hitler was an atheist and NASA says the earth is the centre of the solar system. Those are beyond facepalm.

And the ones not quite at facepalm level but merely merit an eyeroll are 'Legal experts say that the resurrection is true', 'Actual evidence of Moses' crossing the Red sea' and..well 'the Star of Bethlehem was some sort of planetary conjunction'.

Let us not forget "Noah's Ark Found!" or "Garden of Eden Location Identified!"

Still, my all time favorite religious proof remains the 1980's special program of the 700 Club where they advertised for weeks in advance that they had absolute proof of the fallibility of evolution. The proof turned out to be: "Jews have been circumcising their infants for thousands of years, yet to date not a single Jew has been born already circumcised." Question settled forever.

They held that blockbuster until the end of the show, it had been an hour featuring all sorts of anti evolution presentations, including twin eight year old girls who sang the moving "My Granddaddy Ain't No Monkey."

"My granddaddy ain't no monkey
No monkey no sir-eee
He don't eat bananas
He don't swing from trees"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 10:09 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
That's a real facepalmer. The 'disproof' reminds me of the old groaner of 'why aren't kids born with tattoos?' And the song reminds me of a Simpsons episode where the newly widowed Flanders is delighted by a true believer singing a folksy song about how wrong them atheist be.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:52 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Hmmm....Why do you think?....
Because they have an actual education in the field they're talking about, as opposed to some random amateur on the internet.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:14 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Because they have an actual education in the field they're talking about, as opposed to some random amateur on the internet.
Yup and so do i....

Old 11-04-2015, 01:28 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Only in jeffy-land is writing a letter and requesting something, labeled "bullying."

Such tender, babyish sensibilities.

And the equally immature police response of "go fly a kite" only induces guffaws from other Bubbas and mouth-breathers.
Yeah, but it sure does fit the Christian Extremist's martyr agenda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality