Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 12:45 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times

Advertisements

I was raised fundamentalist and I think of myself as a step beyond none. I am so done. Had I been exposed to a God capable of actual unconditional love I might have kept that belief system. Growing up it never clicked with me that I was special in any way. Sitting outside the classroom with my back to the wall while the other kids were inside celebrating Christmas or a birthday cinched who I really was. I wanted to be a regular kid. That is the worst thing a fundie kid can be...worldly ...gasp! Plus I had hurt the feelings of the Almighty himself, who does that? In retrospect, if God's emotional well being hinges on the thoughts of an 8 year old, he has issues. It was impossible for me to reconcile that with my belief system so I concluded there was something wrong with me and not the belief system. Because that's what kids do, they internalize.

When they used that scripture about the narrow gate and few who find it, I was absolutely convinced I was doomed. Why me? I see just about every fundie sect all over that one. How is it they cannot be tricked, only others? I never understood what these people thought they had that others didn't. Probably because I don't have it. Hellafreakingluya.

So yeah, I see this particular subset of Christianity being relegated to a lunatic fringe soon. Society is changing and the whole point of the fundie is to reject man's way of doing things. It is starting to conflict with the way they use the bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 12:47 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
First you say this -

Then you say this -

Do you seriously not see the problem here?

You are asserting that Yahweh revealed himself to some people several thousand years ago.

I quote your own words back at you - "Sorry but just saying so is not proving so."
But we have historic documents thousands of years old which recorded these encounters of Yahweh with individuals. So it is not just "saying so and not proving so." You would have to re-educate the entire Israelite population to believe like you.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Wart" is hardly a flattering term, you are more like a.. a.. ok, wart.
"Sword in the Stone" A Disney animation classic from 1963. Merlin called the young King Arthur "Wart". Nothing wrong with being a wart. It's all in the perspective.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The Muslims agree. But they believe that the One True God is actually Allah, and not the Christian Trinitarian God.

Is there some experiment we could run in order to determine which God is real?
Allah (Arabic) and Eloah (Hebrew) are one and the same. Just slightly different pronunciation. The Eloah of Israel is the one True God, not a Trinitarian God.

And just because some factions of Christianity believe in Trinitarianism does not prove it is correct nor does it prove Christianity is wrong on all points.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I was raised fundamentalist and I think of myself as a step beyond none. I am so done. Had I been exposed to a God capable of actual unconditional love I might have kept that belief system. Growing up it never clicked with me that I was special in any way. Sitting outside the classroom with my back to the wall while the other kids were inside celebrating Christmas or a birthday cinched who I really was. I wanted to be a regular kid. That is the worst thing a fundie kid can be...worldly ...gasp! Plus I had hurt the feelings of the Almighty himself, who does that? In retrospect, if God's emotional well being hinges on the thoughts of an 8 year old, he has issues. It was impossible for me to reconcile that with my belief system so I concluded there was something wrong with me and not the belief system. Because that's what kids do, they internalize.

When they used that scripture about the narrow gate and few who find it, I was absolutely convinced I was doomed. Why me? I see just about every fundie sect all over that one. How is it they cannot be tricked, only others? I never understood what these people thought they had that others didn't. Probably because I don't have it. Hellafreakingluya.

So yeah, I see this particular subset of Christianity being relegated to a lunatic fringe soon. Society is changing and the whole point of the fundie is to reject man's way of doing things. It is starting to conflict with the way they use the bible.
Too bad you didn't find out about Concordant Publishing Concern at Concordant Publishing Concern or Saviour of All Fellowship at Saviour of all Fellowship, universal reconciliation, salvation of all mankind

You would know God is a God of unconditional love Who will eventually save all mankind.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:59 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Allah (Arabic) and Eloah (Hebrew) are one and the same. Just slightly different pronunciation. The Eloah of Israel is the one True God, not a Trinitarian God.

And just because some factions of Christianity believe in Trinitarianism does not prove it is correct nor does it prove Christianity is wrong on all points.
Ok, so that means you accept the Quran as well as the Bible? Which book is right about Allah/God?

Old 10-28-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Ok, so that means you accept the Quran as well as the Bible? Which book is right about Allah/God?
Whichever one that is correct.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:36 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Too bad you didn't find out about Concordant Publishing Concern at Concordant Publishing Concern or Saviour of All Fellowship at Saviour of all Fellowship, universal reconciliation, salvation of all mankind

You would know God is a God of unconditional love Who will eventually save all mankind.
That may have worked with my personality. My final prayer was to tell God I forgave him for having to destroy me. I loved him anyway. Somebody has to play the part of unbeliever, wicked, and apostate in this game, right? At least I knew what role I was playing. Then I let the whole God situation go.

Matthew 7:13

13"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. 14"For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

There are going to be some surprised people.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:52 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Whichever one that is correct.
Thanks for being ambivalent.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
But we have historic documents thousands of years old which recorded these encounters of Yahweh with individuals. So it is not just "saying so and not proving so." You would have to re-educate the entire Israelite population to believe like you.
But the Song of Inanna is a historical document that is even older. And there are people worshipping her today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality