Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 12:48 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
When i was a kid ,we did what every body else did, and never took much thought over it , christian or not it was a cultural tradition .
Some churches had events for the kids, but no one was discouraged from the trick or treating or other fun house activities .
What we didn't realize then was the compromise with something quite contrary to God ,,lead to further compromises in darker and darker behaviors ,actually marketing the event more seriously.
From a time when those that were into witch craft hid themselves from public awareness, to the point now even the presidents mother in law is into the dark arts. and the leadership of the country are openly involved in it. ( Illuminadi Freemasons )
It is no wonder christianity is under attack .
Being taught to be passive ,as christians we did not take an active stand against the damaging tendencies of compromise to the wicked , reinventing pagan celebrations as the catholic church did ,for public acceptance , and they flourished.
Now the line is not always easily recognized between those that Love the world, and those that love God, Christian or not.
If one cannot recognize the offense to God it is, to misrepresent Him , and shun all that has been said in scriptures God spoke concerning His expectations , and resist the govern of God via the Holy Spirit .
These are not repentant at all, but rebellion remains in them.
Jesus lordship is not in them.
Loving like the world expects, is compromise with rebellion .
God's love does not compromise with rebellion.

If He did, Satan would not have been cast out of heaven.
Neither would there be any judgment for sin.
No need for Jesus provision of the Holy Spirit, to guide believers in God's will.
Repentance would not be necessary.
This is what the ungodly world want's.
You sound like my ex-wife.

Her and mine respective futures were much better served apart. She can wallow in her fundamentalism, going out attempting to perform exorcisms on mentally ill, you know, to drive the devil out of them, and I will just be happy as all get out enjoying the one life we have here on earth, in nature, as a humanist and atheist.

Last edited by cupper3; 11-01-2015 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 02:08 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
When i was a kid ,we did what every body else did, and never took much thought over it , christian or not it was a cultural tradition .
Some churches had events for the kids, but no one was discouraged from the trick or treating or other fun house activities .
What we didn't realize then was the compromise with something quite contrary to God ,,lead to further compromises in darker and darker behaviors ,actually marketing the event more seriously.
From a time when those that were into witch craft hid themselves from public awareness, to the point now even the presidents mother in law is into the dark arts. and the leadership of the country are openly involved in it. ( Illuminadi Freemasons )
It is no wonder christianity is under attack .
Being taught to be passive ,as christians we did not take an active stand against the damaging tendencies of compromise to the wicked , reinventing pagan celebrations as the catholic church did ,for public acceptance , and they flourished.
Now the line is not always easily recognized between those that Love the world, and those that love God, Christian or not.
If one cannot recognize the offense to God it is, to misrepresent Him , and shun all that has been said in scriptures God spoke concerning His expectations , and resist the govern of God via the Holy Spirit .
These are not repentant at all, but rebellion remains in them.
Jesus lordship is not in them.
Loving like the world expects, is compromise with rebellion .
God's love does not compromise with rebellion.

If He did, Satan would not have been cast out of heaven.
Neither would there be any judgment for sin.
No need for Jesus provision of the Holy Spirit, to guide believers in God's will.
Repentance would not be necessary.
This is what the ungodly world want's.
You said: "From a time when those that were into witch craft hid themselves from public awareness, to the point now even the presidents mother in law is into the dark arts." Can we assume that you just forgot to post links to the credible news articles that document that the President's mother-in-law dabbles in the "dark arts?"

You said "the leadership of the country are openly involved in it. ( Illuminadi Freemasons )"

I'm assuming that you meant to say Illuminati.You knew that organization ceased to exist in 1786, didn't you?

A number of the country's leaders have been members of the Freemasons, beginning with John Hancock and George Washington. The sitting President is not a member, nor have the previous 5 Presidents. I'm anxiously waiting for you to tie the Illuminati and the Freemasons into the "dark arts" or witchcraft (not that there's anything wrong with witchcraft). Making statements like that don't indicate that you have any great knowledge of the Illuminati or the Freemasons.

BTW, what did any of that have to do with Halloween?

Old 11-01-2015, 02:57 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You sound like my ex-wife.

Her and mine respective futures were much better served apart. She can wallow in her fundamentalism, going out attempting to perform exorcisms on mentally ill, you know, to drive the devil out of them, and I will just be happy as all get out enjoying the one life we have here on earth, in nature, as a humanist and atheist.

Very telling....

Old 11-01-2015, 03:03 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
This lady was 93 yrs old and could have had a heart attack or fallen trying to clean that mess off , then how would those kids / adults felt ? No I don't understand people acting like a jackwagon when someone does not do like they do . Don't like it move on down the road there are plenty of people handing out the treats . and this lady should not have to keep her light off on her porch or any other area because she does not celebrate the holiday .sanctimonious and pompous = egging and tping . Okay got it will have to remember that .
The word is "jackass" meaning big *******, just as "jackrabbit" is a huge rabbit. A jackwagon is nothing. Don't use slang you don't understand.

There is a definite difference between preteens trick or treating, and "Christians" going bat crazy, and making some rapture nonsense as an alternative, when actually as I have said this entire time this is a hybrid Christian/Pagan tradition, and... late teens that need psychiatric counseling on behavior whacking mailboxes, egging houses, and in general behaving like vandals.

You can blame this on witchcraft, but the fact of the matter is, this crazed mentality doesn't really help anyone. Including you.

Be cool. Encourage kids to take candy, discourage thuggery. The night is a scary night, but it's also a fun night.

Also, it's called leaving your light off. You go to sleep that night rather than preaching nonsense. You don't buy candy, and you don't bother getting mad if they TP. It's they're immature hangup. If you get sanctimonious, you just prove you're more of a twit than they are.

About Fear | The Science of Connection

Here's the thing about fear. When you live in it, you would think that things being more guarded are safer to live in. They're not, it actually colors the way you deal with other people, making them more hostile, making you less safe, not more.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:09 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
well I remember putting a sign on the door for my elderly neighbor saying she did not celebrate Halloween and to please not knock on her door . The next morning I had to help her pick out toilet paper out of her trees because some adult got ticked because her lil snowflake did not get candy from that house . Oh and let us not forget about the eggs , some teenagers thought it would be funny to egg her house as well and the soap and water it cost to get that stuff off her home . People need to leave people alone if they don't celebrate Halloween that is fine with me and totally their business .

Why do people feel the need to punish people for being Christians ? I don't get it.
The only way you would know an adult did the tp-ing and teens did the egging would be if you saw it yourself. Did you? Egging and tp-ing houses is a long standing tradition at Halloween in some places. Not saying it's right, but who's surprised anymore? All she had to do was leave her front porch lights off for the evening.

And no, no one is punishing your or your neighbor for being Christian. No one. Get over the persecution complex.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:23 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
well I remember putting a sign on the door for my elderly neighbor saying she did not celebrate Halloween and to please not knock on her door . The next morning I had to help her pick out toilet paper out of her trees because some adult got ticked because her lil snowflake did not get candy from that house . Oh and let us not forget about the eggs , some teenagers thought it would be funny to egg her house as well and the soap and water it cost to get that stuff off her home . People need to leave people alone if they don't celebrate Halloween that is fine with me and totally their business . Why do people feel the need to punish people for being Christians ? I don't get it .
What? An adult TP'ed her house because she didn't give out candy? Come on.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:34 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
You can look at it that way. But the pagans don't seem to. They still have a yule log under the fire, they still give gifts. Much of their easter symbols are intact. And halloween is still fun. Is it really usurping if they pretty much can continue as normal? As the article showed, alot of pagans celebrate both.

As a Pagan of almost 20 years your right in the grand scheme of things we don't care that Christians more or less celebrate our holidays, no matter how they have tried to turn them into Christian holidays. My wife & I only celebrate Yule on the 21st we don't do both it's nothing else but it's our choice no big deal. I do know those who celebrate both & that's ok too. I even say Merry Christmas (surprise) but most of the time I say happy holidays because mine isn't the only holiday celebrated this time of year, plus is covers the Christian New Year. In the end if we can all get along that's what matter's to me.....

Old 11-02-2015, 11:58 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Yes, a fun children's event is made 'evil' by fundies. They have Trunk or Treat events instead.

What a Moderator cut: toning down who need to see 'da devil' in everything and anything. Come on people, it's a custom party, it is not a warlock convention.

JesusWeen: Tract or treat! - Entertaining Faith

Even most Christians agree that Halloween is fun, not pagan - On Faith & Culture

Note:

Most mainstream Christians think this as stupid as I do, but I bet there are some on these boards that support the backwards fundie thinking outlined in those articles.

What exactly was wrong with the articles?

Old 11-02-2015, 03:14 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
As a Pagan of almost 20 years your right in the grand scheme of things we don't care that Christians more or less celebrate our holidays, no matter how they have tried to turn them into Christian holidays. My wife & I only celebrate Yule on the 21st we don't do both it's nothing else but it's our choice no big deal. I do know those who celebrate both & that's ok too. I even say Merry Christmas (surprise) but most of the time I say happy holidays because mine isn't the only holiday celebrated this time of year, plus is covers the Christian New Year. In the end if we can all get along that's what matter's to me.....

I am a Pagan myself. I celebrate the Solstice on the 21st, Christmas on the 25th (or whenever all the kids can get together), Hanukkah-in recognition of my Jewish heritage, & New Year's. Any excuse for a party.

Cat

Old 11-02-2015, 04:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
This lady was 93 yrs old and could have had a heart attack or fallen trying to clean that mess off , then how would those kids / adults felt ? No I don't understand people acting like a jackwagon when someone does not do like they do . Don't like it move on down the road there are plenty of people handing out the treats . and this lady should not have to keep her light off on her porch or any other area because she does not celebrate the holiday .sanctimonious and pompous = egging and tping . Okay got it will have to remember that .
I agree the TPing and egging were inappropriate to the max, no matter who did them. However, the universal symbol for participating in T or T is a lit front door light. Turning off the light is totally appropriate. I had an aunt who was a widow of long standing, she didn't like to open the door to strangers so she and my mom would go out to eat on Halloween, and my dad stayed home to hand out candy. This went on until she was well into her 80s. Another solution is to leave a bowl of candy outside the door with a sign that says "help yourself". We did that a few years when our kids had sports competitions on Halloween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality